The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

I still loathe the NBA, but this was just too funny to pass up. I haven't seen anyone else post something about this yet, so...

Jerry Stackhouse of the MAVs sang the national anthem before the game this week, and then got ejected during the contest. That has to be the first time that the person who sang the national anthem ever got thrown out of a game!

Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:14am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
That has to be the first time that the person who sang the national anthem ever got thrown out of a game!

Shoot!!!!! I missed it. Maybe I'll catch it on ESPN Classic!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Tuesday, December 28, 2004
Boston (14-17) 94
Dallas (20-10) 113

Game notes
Mavericks G-F Jerry Stackhouse sang the National Anthem, receiving a standing ovation from the crowd and hugs from teammates. ...Stackhouse had missed the previous four games due to a sore right hand. ...Dallas G Marquis Daniels sat out with a sore left ankle, and coach Don Nelson said Daniels could miss a few more games. ...Boston's Ricky Davis argued a call with 6:51 left and was ejected. ...Shawn Bradley of the Mavericks was ejected with 5:18 left for a flagrant foul when he threw an elbow at Justin Reed of the Celtics, and Stackhouse was ejected in the final minute after collecting his second technical. ...The teams combined for nine technicals and two flagrant fouls. "With all the technicals, it wasn't a pretty game in the second half," said Mavericks assistant coach Avery Johnson.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 06:26am
Huck Finn

I had a game last night at Gonzaga HS in DC. After introductions the announcer says this guy is going to sing the national anthem. This was the craziest anthem I've ever heard! The guy literally snatches the mike out of his hands and is singing before he even gets it up to his mouth. People in the stands haven't even stood up all the way. The guy is singing like he is angry and it takes him about 30-40 seconds to finish the whole song! It was seriously funny. I forgot to ask someone from the school if he always does that. Oh well.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I had a game last night at Gonzaga HS in DC.
Who'd they play? They almost always have a good team. I used love those St. Alban's/Gonzaga match-ups. I had numerous college classmates that attended both schools.

PS If you are working there, are you now working for bd. 12? They used to have all of those games. Or have things changed?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 07:28am
Huck Finn

They played St. John's. It was a good game but St. John's lost two players to two different schools that would have had them ranked high. One of the players they lost is the number #1 sophmore in the nation and he can play. The other player the lost was a big man that went to another school after he accepted a scholarship.
Yes, I do work for board 12 and 134. Board 12 still has the catholic league.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Watched a GV game last year where the coach sang the national anthem. He'd made a deal with his players that if they showed up every day and worked hard, he'd sing the anthem at their final game. Did a pretty good job, too.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

If I sang the national anthem, I would get ejected before the game started. Upon reviewing the tapes, the powers that be would most certainly make it a season-long suspension.

Z
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They played St. John's. It was a good game but St. John's lost two players to two different schools that would have had them ranked high. One of the players they lost is the number #1 sophmore in the nation and he can play. The other player the lost was a big man that went to another school after he accepted a scholarship.
Tommegun: Ever thought about coming "across the river" and working in VA? My association (Cardinal) is always looking for good officials.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 06:45am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Tommegun: Ever thought about coming "across the river" and working in VA? My association (Cardinal) is always looking for good officials.
Do we know each other already? What days do they play games in Virginia? I'm always open to anything but I will warn you that I already belong to 9 different conferences/boards/associations. It is a nightmare sometimes and right now is one of the times I have to make a decision about a date that could effect how far I go in the playoffs (for HS). It's tough trying to please multiple people with multiple personalities that have been good to me. The commissioner 1 switch in board 134 made this tough because he was the first one to give me a shot at any games when he was commissioner 2. Anyway, what days do you guys play?
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Another Jimi Hendrix??

A few years back, I was reffing a Boy's Varsity game at a small HS in Texas. This school has a student perform the National Anthem before each home game. Usually they sing it, but this one night, a 17 yr. old kid played it on his electric guitar.
I actually thought it was pretty cool, but you could tell that some of the older people in the crwod, didn't appreciate it at all.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I still loathe the NBA, but this was just too funny to pass up. I haven't seen anyone else post something about this yet, so...

Jerry Stackhouse of the MAVs sang the national anthem before the game this week, and then got ejected during the contest. That has to be the first time that the person who sang the national anthem ever got thrown out of a game!

As bad as the Orange Bowl was, Ashley Simpson was even worse at halftime.

Now, SHE should have been ejected!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

She actually sung this time?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

As bad as the Orange Bowl was, Ashley Simpson was even worse at halftime.

Now, SHE should have been ejected!
You mean she actually tried to sing this time, or was it just another good "lip sync"?

you're right, she can't sing - its just amazing with the technology today how they can make anyone sing pretty good and on pitch. ... on the recordings that is (g)

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Do we know each other already? What days do they play games in Virginia? I'm always open to anything but I will warn you that I already belong to 9 different conferences/boards/associations. It is a nightmare sometimes and right now is one of the times I have to make a decision about a date that could effect how far I go in the playoffs (for HS). It's tough trying to please multiple people with multiple personalities that have been good to me. The commissioner 1 switch in board 134 made this tough because he was the first one to give me a shot at any games when he was commissioner 2. Anyway, what days do you guys play?
Every day of the week.