The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I was talking to someone and they said in their state they do not do this and I was wondering if your's did?

Each highschool game we having something called a rating card. 99.9% of the time we have 2 whistle and each Official fills out this card with each officials nama on it. When we come back on the floor for half time the R brings it to the Visitors and the U brings it to the Home, and the coach gets to rate us and then send it in to out assignors. Do you guys do this?

I wish we could rate the coach.

A sameple can be foud at :

http://www.lhsaa.org/officialsfiles/...RatingCard.pdf
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 03:48am
Do not give a damn!!

We have a rating system through our state, but it is done all online. The information goes to the state, not an assignor. I know some assignors have some kind of form for rating, but we do not see it or play in any part in it being filled out.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

In New Hampshire we rate eachother. That is after each game you rate your partner--at the end of year a summary is sent to the state.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Each highschool game we having something called a rating card. 99.9% of the time we have 2 whistle and each Official fills out this card with each officials nama on it. When we come back on the floor for half time the R brings it to the Visitors and the U brings it to the Home, and the coach gets to rate us and then send it in to out assignors. Do you guys do this?
No.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was talking to someone and they said in their state they do not do this and I was wondering if your's did?

No, we have peer ratings and we have some independent evaluators. It's unanimous around here that having coaches rate officials is fraught with problems. It was brought up by a coach once and the officials association told him that coaches could rate us if we could rate the coaches. They dropped the idea immediately.

Z
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

In ND the only rating system is an unofficial one done verbally by the coaches and fans during the game. Coaches vote for playoff officials, but that's about it.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Wisconsin rating

Wisconsin Varsity head coaches are asked to rate officials they have had work their games, and those they have seen they feel are competent for post-season assignments. The ratings are submitted to the state association (WIAA) after each season is completed. The WIAA sends a list of all L-5 and Master level officials to all head coaches for them to rate the officials as outlined above and mail it back.

The process works this way....The R of the crew presents a card listing the official's names and ID numbers to the head coach at the time they introduce themselves during the pre-game. Generally 2-minutes prior to the start of the contest. Coaches rate individual officials on a 6-point rating criteria. (1 being lowest, 6 being the highest)

1. Would not hire this official again.
2. The official needs improvement.
3. Would hire this official for a regular season game.
4. Would hire this official for a regional contest.
5. Would hire this official for a sectional contest.
6. Clearly among the best, would hire for state contest

Once the state association receives this data, they drop one high rating and one low rating....add up the rest and average the ratings. This rating is one of the components the WIAA uses to select officials they assign for post- season tournament games.

Hope this helps!

wl

[Edited by imaref on Jan 2nd, 2005 at 11:27 AM]
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 09:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Like JRut said already for IL. However we give our cards with our names and ID numbers before the game starts.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 09:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Like JRut said already for IL. However we give our cards with our names and ID numbers before the game starts.
All we have to do is provide the schools with out ID numbers, not a card with any other information on it. Some give out cards, some just sign the book like I do. And that is only required for varsity contest. We do not have to do any such thing at the lower levels. Our rating system is just for playoff consideration, not to make us a better official.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In Texas we have a simple system. I call a game for you. You call my assignor and tell him, "send him my way more" or "never send him to my school again."
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We don't do this in northern VA. At the start of the season, a coach can "black-ball" 2 officials. They then have no say so whatever in our ratings. They have no input to selecting officials for state playoffs. This decision is made by the VHSL (Virginia High School League).
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

As stated twice already,we just give them our numbers and it's sent to the state. A lot of coaches don't bother with sending them in which is frustrating to me.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 06:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Wisconsin rating

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Wisconsin Varsity head coaches are asked to rate officials they have had work their games, and those they have seen they feel are competent for post-season assignments. The ratings are submitted to the state association (WIAA) after each season is completed. The WIAA sends a list of all L-5 and Master level officials to all head coaches for them to rate the officials as outlined above and mail it back.

The process works this way....The R of the crew presents a card listing the official's names and ID numbers to the head coach at the time they introduce themselves during the pre-game. Generally 2-minutes prior to the start of the contest. Coaches rate individual officials on a 6-point rating criteria. (1 being lowest, 6 being the highest)

1. Would not hire this official again.
2. The official needs improvement.
3. Would hire this official for a regular season game.
4. Would hire this official for a regional contest.
5. Would hire this official for a sectional contest.
6. Clearly among the best, would hire for state contest

Once the state association receives this data, they drop one high rating and one low rating....add up the rest and average the ratings. This rating is one of the components the WIAA uses to select officials they assign for post- season tournament games.

Hope this helps!

wl

[Edited by imaref on Jan 2nd, 2005 at 11:27 AM]
Cards in football, yes, but I have yet to hand out a rating card in basketball. My name/number is in the book.

--Rich
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

In Michigan, coaches are supposed to submit ratings to their athletic directors at the end of the season and they in turn send them to the state office. Officials then receive a summary in the summer following the sports season.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
In Indiana

Unfortunately, everything in basketball hinges on a coach's vote. We get a vote & rating for each sport gender...1 for girls & 1 for boys.

Coach has these choices for us:

5 points - Superior
4 points - Excellent
3 points - Good
2 points - Fair
1 point - Poor

Although it is recommended that each coach vote, s/he isn't required to do so. There is NO penalty for not voting. I'll leave it at that...before I start giving my opinions!!!