The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Travelling or not .

I have a girl on my high school team that keeps geting called for traveling time after time, She drives down the lane dribbling all the way goes up in the air and comes down hard (jump stop) both feet same time, then goes back up to shoot, but TRAVELLING CALLED ,drives us crazy .
When I first saw her do this I would have called traveling too, Its a great move like a gymnastic move.
So I had a senior official watch her do it 10 times (by the way she has it down pack) and he said no that not a travel . Had two other officials check it same result no travell.
I go to the boys games and see them do it all the time with out a call.

I guess a girl can't do a move like that so call it a travell?????????????????????????/What to dooooooo
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 10:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bigtailgate

Travelling or not .

I have a girl on my high school team that keeps geting called for traveling time after time, She drives down the lane dribbling all the way goes up in the air and comes down hard (jump stop) both feet same time, then goes back up to shoot, but TRAVELLING CALLED ,drives us crazy .
When I first saw her do this I would have called traveling too, Its a great move like a gymnastic move.
So I had a senior official watch her do it 10 times (by the way she has it down pack) and he said no that not a travel . Had two other officials check it same result no travell.

I guess a girl can't do a move like that so call it a travell?????????????????????????/What to dooooooo
Welcome to the forum, bigtailgate.

Bring it to your meeting with the officials, Coach.
Tell the officials that your girl has a great jump stop of which they may want to be aware. Politely place it on their plates and sit back and enjoy the game.

mick
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 10:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

She needs to adjust. I am not there to see the move so I cannot tell you if the move is illegal or not. She needs to find another move that will not get called. Nothing else we can tell you. You can complain all day, but if that move keeps getting called, she needs to find something else that will not work. Period.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She drives down the lane dribbling all the way goes up in the air and comes down hard (jump stop) both feet same time, then goes back up to shoot, but TRAVELLING CALLED ,drives us crazy.
When she goes up, how many feet does she jump off of?

When does she catch the ball?
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Travelling or not .

Like Mick says, have your player do it in warm-ups and ask the officials to watch. Then ask them if it's legal or not. If yes, you're in business. If not, tell your player to not do it.

Of course, I've had that happen and then had the player do a different move than the one they were practicing so that isn't a perfect solution either.

Z
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Of course, I've had that happen and then had the player do a different move than the one they were practicing so that isn't a perfect solution either.
I'm betting what the player did in the practice, and what she does in the game are two different things. I think video of an actual game where the play is called would be the next step.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Once she does the jump stop are there anyother steps?

If so it is a travel. NBA can pivot off a jumps stop. High school cannot.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Tell the officials that your girl has a great jump stop of which they may want to be aware.
As an official, this is what I would prefer. Seeing a player do a move unguarded in a practice situation means absolutely nothing once the game starts.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Once she does the jump stop are there anyother steps? If so it is a travel.
There are two types of jump stops. If she doesn't catch the ball until she leaves her feet, she can pivot upon returning to the floor.

Quote:
NBA can pivot off a jumps stop. High school cannot.
They're now calling it traveling, if a player jumps, and lands on one foot and steps with the other.

If they land simultaneously, they can still pivot but the NBA felt the guys who were jumping and then taking two steps were gaining to much of an advantage.

Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Tell the officials that your girl has a great jump stop of which they may want to be aware.
As an official, this is what I would prefer. Seeing a player do a move unguarded in a practice situation means absolutely nothing once the game starts.
I Agree. Just because she can do it in warmups, the defense will/could dictate another step or hop. It would be rare that she could do it exactly like in warmups. If she does it fine in practice and I say it was good, then does it slightly different and I have traveling, now coach is after me with: "you said...."
I would be carefule to tell coach this WILL NOT be called. Preface it with "so long as" or something like that.