The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Yeah, and that right condition would be an HONEST MISTAKE. However, the conference released a report about a week after this game confirming the FACT that the official lied. Now that I can't support. If you wish to stand with those who have no integrity just because your shirt looks the same that's your choice, but how dare you criticize me for standing up for honesty.
Oh puuulleeeezzzzeeee!!!

Were you on the game? Are you on the conference staff? Where is this report?

I really do not care if you think an official lied or not. I know I would not be here calling an official names that I did not work with or was not on the game. Of course we have all seen things we are not proud of as officials, but we do not come here and start saying an official has no integrity when we were not there. I really do not give a damn if a conference made a comment and accused an official of anything. Conferences have thrown officials under the bus before and this I am sure will not be the last time. I think you should be very careful what you say, because when a situation happens to you, do not cry foul when individuals come here and question your integrity or your honesty.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,
You need to read and accept the truth. You are wrong on this one.

http://www.cougarblue.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid=3397

Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 08:11 PM |

MWC admits official blew whistle at end of New Mexico game

One official suspended for actions at end of New Mexico game

Patrick Ridgell
THE DAILY HERALD

It’s official. It wasn’t Mark Bigelow’s fault. That’s what the Mountain West Conference said Thursday. It issued a press release that stated “an inadvertent whistle” prompted Bigelow, who had fouled out, to leave the bench, run on to the floor and interfere with New Mexico player after Kevin Woodberry scored to tie BYU’s Jan. 26 game in Albuquerque with 3.8 seconds to play.

Officials called a technical foul on Bigelow. New MexicoÂ’s Troy DeVries missed both free throws. On the ensuing inbound DeVries hit Danny Granger with a long pass, and Granger scored the game-winning basket.

One of the officials working the game, who the MWC would not specify, has been released from his next two assignments and banned from working the MWC tournament, March 11-13 in Denver. The officials who worked the game are Dick Cartmell, Lonnie Dixon and Bob Staffen.

BYU coach Steve Cleveland said Thursday that he thought the suspended official is scheduled to work BYUÂ’s game with New Mexico in Provo on Feb. 21, but will be reassigned.

The release said that if the officials recognized the inadvertent whistle, play would have been stopped and Bigelow would not have received a technical foul.

“The Mountain West Conference expects the highest level of performance and conduct from each of its constituents,” MWC commissioner Craig Thompson said in the release. “These standards cannot be compromised. While this is an unfortunate situation, the game officials must be held to the same degree of accountability as the student-athletes, coaches and administrators.”
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nevadaref,

What you do not understand is the devil is in the details. I do not care what the report said, you were not there. You were not on the game. You do not work for that staff. You have no right to come here and rip officials about apologizing, when you do not know all the details. Do you know if any of the officials had a phone conversation with the coaches? Are you aware of any correspondence between any of the officials and the conference?

The problem you do not seem to understand is I do not care about the details of the game. I do not care what who messed up or how. I do care about your sorry behind coming here and ripping a fellow official and saying they have no integrity when you have no idea what was said after the fact. I have seen many situations where the wrong official is accused of something and was not even on the freakin game. You behavior is a serious violation of ethics and you want to talk about honesty and integrity. It is like passing judgment on someone for violating one of the Ten Commandments and you are violating 3 of them yourself. You have got a lot of freakin nerve if you ask me.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, I thought that this information came from the Mountain West Conference, not the Warren Commission.
But spin the conspiracy theory if you wish.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz

For someone to say that they would have his back (under the right conditions) but then offers to let him hang ---- that is shameful
Yeah, and that right condition would be an HONEST MISTAKE. However, the conference released a report about a week after this game confirming the FACT that the official lied. Now that I can't support. If you wish to stand with those who have no integrity just because your shirt looks the same that's your choice, but how dare you criticize me for standing up for honesty.
It has nothing to do about some loyalty to a brethren official, nor about standing up for honesty. This is about acceptence and forgiveness....love for your fellow man should be unconditional. Sheesh, whatever happened to living by the Golden Rule or (at the risk of foisting my beliefs) the 10 Commandments?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Oh, I thought that this information came from the Mountain West Conference, not the Warren Commission.
But spin the conspiracy theory if you wish.
Were you there? Did you hear for yourself the comments from Mountain West Conference? Or are you just reading a reporter's interpretation on what was said? Remember, these reports are always correct. But then again none of that matters, you were working the game. Oh I almost forgot you were not working the game.

I rest my case.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
C'mon you guys, don't you realize that this one blown call cost BYU a trip to the final 4? GEEZ!!

The call resulted in two missed free throws (see previous post) how did THAT cause them to lose the game?
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the game, but the thought that comes to mind is this:

If the whistle was blown (either inadvertently or to grant a timeout), how does that give the player permission to come on the court? If I call a timeout, and a player comes running onto the court, I'm probably going to T him up for leaving the bench.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 12:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I didn't see the game, but the thought that comes to mind is this:

If the whistle was blown (either inadvertently or to grant a timeout), how does that give the player permission to come on the court? If I call a timeout, and a player comes running onto the court, I'm probably going to T him up for leaving the bench.
this is a good point, and my point at the time, too. A whistle could have been for anything. If I blow my whistle for a traveling call, and a bench player comes screaming onto the court, he's risking a T. Not saying I would have called this one, but the fact that there may or may not have been an inadvertent whistle doesn't absolve this player of responsibility.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 08:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

If the whistle was blown (either inadvertently or to grant a timeout), how does that give the player permission to come on the court?
this is a good point, and my point at the time, too. A whistle could have been for anything. If I blow my whistle for a traveling call, and a bench player comes screaming onto the court, he's risking a T.

Hmmmmmm........

Nevada?
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Jrut,

I don't always agree with you, but this is how I read this situation as well. It's best to mind my own business and withold judgements when I don't have first hand knowledge. And, when it comes to officiating, if I do have first hand knowledge of another official and do pass judgement, I keep it to myself.

Hopefully this is the last time I agree with someone who quotes Bill Maher!
I really do not care if you agree with what I say or not (or Bill Maher). If I was there and worked on the game with the accused official, I still would not come here and voice my opposition to the actions that took place.

Peace
Although I agree that one should not rip another official for the basic reason that it is not possible to understand fully all aspects of the situation, you prove quite simply why I dislike your posts. I don't care what you think of it or not. Abrasiveness, whether someone agrees with you or not, is not a positive quality. I can't imagine how this type of attitude doesn't bleed into dealing with coaches, players, administrators, table staff and partners.

Let me ask a question. Why the abrasiveness with the response to my post?
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 02:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Let me ask a question. Why the abrasiveness with the response to my post?
I do not consider what I said to you as abrasive. You made a statement I responded. I am not supposed to respond to you now? I also do not remember that you and I ever had a conversation that meant anything to me either. But I guess that might be the very reason I do not remember any of your post. To each his own I guess.

Peace