The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Matt Tabak
Unhappy

Well, the first night is done. We had 4 intramural games, each with 2 20-minute halves, running clock unless in the final 2:00. After one forfeit and two games assisting the scorer's table, I donned the stripes for the final game of the evening...

Some observations:
1. I went into this thinking officiating was going to be, all in all, pretty difficult. Many things to look for, always being in the right spot, lot of running. I was wrong. It's WAY harder than I thought...
2. I watch the ball too much. At least twice I consciously found myself looking at the ballcarrier, when my responsibility was elsewhere. Gotta work on that.
3. Blow whistle, raise arm. Blow whistle, raise arm. Blow whistle, raise arm.
4. "Slow down" are the two greatest words of advice in this job. I didn't fully appreciate that until last night. I read everyone saying that, figured that made sense, and went on with my day.

There weren't any particularly tricky plays to call from a rules standpoint. I'm not sure if that was because there actally weren't any or I simply didn't know enough to recognize them. Well, I'll keep studying the rulebook.

Matt Tabak
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The hard part is over with. You actually stepped onto a court with a striped shirt on. Now take what you have learned and develope it. We are here if you have any weird situations you want to discuss.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Wink

when you looked at the "Ball Carrier" did you call traveling?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think you past the hard part!! Not only putting on the shirt which was mentioned early. Realizing that it is not as easy as people think!

Study! Don't be afraid to blow the whistle! Oh Raise the arm!!!!
Have fun AK ref SE
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
And have fun!! Take it seriously, but not too seriously. Enjoy yourself and laugh. These are the lessons I'm working on applying when things get rough. The funnest part is the superior feeling you get when you know you did it right, even if everyone is yelling. I love this game!!!
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 02:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Yeah, but did you remember the first rule of being a referee? TUCK YOUR WHISTLE IN YOUR SHIRT WHEN YOU TAKE A LEAK!!!
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Ten Commandments??

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Yeah, but did you remember the first rule of being a referee? TUCK YOUR WHISTLE IN YOUR SHIRT WHEN YOU TAKE A LEAK!!!
Mark,

I would like to see your "10 Commandments" of officiating! Maybe you and Dave can come up with something!
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 03:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Ten Commandments??

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Mark,

I would like to see your "10 Commandments" of officiating! Maybe you and Dave can come up with something!
Actually, in our association there are a few "unwritten" rules. Of course, the most important is the one I listed above (Juulie may not have to do this, of course).

Others include:
(said to your partner) "If this game goes into overtime, IT'S YOUR FAULT!"

The coach is always wrong - always.

Never eat chili dogs before or during a game. Have some respect for your partner.

Whenever a coach asks you why you did something, reply "BECAUSE THAT'S THE RULE!"

Our motto: Occasionally wrong, but never indecisive.

And, of course, never wear white underwear under tight pants. This one should be self-explanatory.