The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking 3-Whistle Crew Research

I'm doing some research regarding 3-Whistle Crews. Currently, Wisconsin works 2-Whistle at all levels. There have been some rumors that 3-Whistle could be around the corner. But no indication how it will be implemented and at what levels.

My request is for forum members to respond to the following questions regarding 3-Whistle at HS:

1. What state are you working 3-Whistle?

2. How much are you paid?

3. How long has your state been 3-Whistle?

4. What levels are being officiated 3-Whistle? (ie: Varsity, JV, Frosh, boys and/or girls?)

5. Are you required to work more than just the Varsity game? (like both Varsity & JV...allowing school districts to save money.)

Many thanks!

wl

[Edited by imaref on Dec 30th, 2004 at 12:29 PM]
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 3-Whistle Crew Research

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref

4. What levels are being officiated 3-Whistle? (ie: Varsity, JV, Frosh, boys and/or girls?)
5. Are you required to work more than just the Varsity game? (like both Varsity & JV...allowing school districts to save money.)
Massachusetts does not work 3-man, at least not in public schools (not any private I am aware of either). We are paid $66 for a varsity game, and $46 for subvarsity/middle school. There will be 3-man crews for the state tournaments this year. We may do a doubleheader for subvarsity, but not varsity (lest we get too exhausted after a subvarsity game). Boys and girls games are at different sites on the same days (usually).

Why would the schools save money by having the same crew?
Is it a ref one, get one at half price deal?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Re: Re: 3-Whistle Crew Research

Is it a ref one, get one at half price deal? [/B][/QUOTE]

If we call:

1 game = $33

2 game = $42

3 game = $60

plus travel
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the scoop on Illinois:

3-man at Varsity level (only a couple of leagues statewide use 2-man)
Get paid approx. $53 per Varsity game. (varies by league)
Using 3-man for about 4years (state tourney used 3-man for 1 or 2 yrs prior to adoption statewide).
Only work 3-man at Varsity level.
Small percentage of schools have crew do Soph/Varsity doubleheader (typically in more rural areas).
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

1. Illinois

2. Anywhere from $45-60 depending on the conference or school (one game).

3. Eight years (97-98 Season) for the playoffs. There were a few games worked before the state went full time for the playoffs.

4. Varsity dates mainly, but if you are have to work two games the night of the varsity date, the sophomore or JV game will have all 3 officials usually work those games as well.

5. Most of the state in my experience has the officials work the prelim games and the varsity game in the same night. Some of this is changing because veteran officials were pushing to not work both games. It also takes away an opportunity for younger officials to work a higher level of basketball.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Is it a ref one, get one at half price deal? [/B][/QUOTE]

Usually they will discount the fee for the second game $8-12 because they figure you didn't have any extra travel time or fuel expenses.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: 3-Whistle Crew Research

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
If we call:

1 game = $33
2 game = $42
3 game = $60
plus travel
Your state (actually the entire southern half of the country) is paying peanuts to their officials. Why does everyone there continue to accept this? I know the "cost of living" is lower there (in some things), but not THAT much lower.

I guess that should be another thread (sorry Imaref).
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Montana this year is requiring 3man crews at state tournaments, optional among the schools. Most schools will at least have two games worked with the 3 whistle crew, mostly non-confrence games. Varsity 2 man pays $50 plus mileage 3- man crew pays 46.50 plus mileage. Usually the three man crew will work both boys and girls varsity for smaller schools.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by nine01c
Boys and girls games are at different sites on the same days (usually).

Is it a ref one, get one at half price deal? [/B]
Relative to the question on boys/girls....wanted to see if there were gender issues as to whether boys got preference over girls in having their games officiated 3-whistle vs. 2-whistle?

On the $ issue, I believe most schools use the expense argument to avoid change. If you do the math....it's insignificant and offers an improved "safety" environment for a game that has gotten faster and more sophisticated at the HS level.

thanx for your input....

wl
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias

Quote:
I'm in western Massachusetts. As nine01c (sorry, I remember that nine01c is a baseball rule reference, but I can't remember your name!! ) said, there's no state-wide use of 3-whistle mechanics. However, since the state is mandating 3-whistle for the semis and finals of our regional and state playoffs, some ADs are asking individual boards to supply 3 officials for certain games. In Springfield, for instance, five "city" schools are using 3-whistle on 2 home games each. The idea is to give the players, coaches and officials a chance to get used to a 3-whistle game before they get to the regional semis. I've already heard that some schools outside of Springfield will be adding a 3rd official to some of their games for the same reason. We worked 3-whistle at some scrimmages, and the coaches seemed to really like it. So I expect it will become more common next season.

Quote:

For this season, we will be paid the same as we would for a 2-whistle game ($64 or $66, something like that). Next year, that may be negotiated down for 3-whistle, to mitigate the cost to the schools. (I hope not, but it wouldn't be an unreasonable request by the schools.)

Quote:

This is the first year for us out here in western MA. I heard rumors that it's been used in Boston for a while already, but I don't honestly know.

Quote:
I believe only the Varsity games are using 3-whistle here. Boys and girls. Gender equality, don't you know, even tho most of the girls games (even the better ones) don't need 3 officials.

Quote:
5. Are you required to work more than just the Varsity game?
Nope, just the one game. In fact, I think there's an IAABO by-law that prohibits working more than one game HS-level game (or maybe Varsity level game) per day.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm doing some research regarding 3-Whistle Crews. Currently, Wisconsin works 2-Whistle at all levels. There have been some rumors that 3-Whistle could be around the corner. But no indication how it will be implemented and at what levels.

My request is for forum members to respond to the following questions regarding 3-Whistle at HS:

Many thanks!

wl

[Edited by imaref on Dec 30th, 2004 at 12:29 PM]
This year our local association has gone to all three man for our varsity contests. (this is in Mississippi)

Our state does three man for the playoffs but most of our associations still use lots of two man especially for the smaller schools.

We get paid $55 for three man games - two games. Most of our schools play the boys and girls on the same night.

JV and frosh are still two man. We try to send a different crew to do the JV game and then a three man crew for the varsity contests. The JV crew gets $30 for the one game.

The biggest complaint we have is for two man certified we get $65 dollars for two man, but for three man we only get $55. Most feel the three man should be higher.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 03:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3-Whistle Crew Research

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Quote:
If we call:

1 game = $33
2 game = $42
3 game = $60
plus travel
Your state (actually the entire southern half of the country) is paying peanuts to their officials. Why does everyone there continue to accept this? I know the "cost of living" is lower there (in some things), but not THAT much lower.

You think that's bad? We get $32 Cdn for V game.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps you should secede to the US (the Northeast part).
You guys just aren't appreciated enough for the services you perform.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3-Whistle Crew Research

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Quote:
If we call:

1 game = $33
2 game = $42
3 game = $60
plus travel

You think that's bad? We get $32 Cdn for V game.
Lucky You!! Here we get $26.40Cdn for a V game.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Minnesota just went to three "person" for the state tournament last season. We presently work some three person for some boy's games. Usually, this is done by us, as officials, and we just split the game fees by three instead of two. Instead of $100 we get $67 per official for the J.V. and Varsity games. We usually do both games in Northern Minnesota for all schools. It is worth the lower fee to have a better officiated game using the third official. Also, it is easier on the body doing two fast-paced boys games.

We contract with the schools for the games. There is no set fee schedule. I request $80 per official plus mileage for the two games. One school requests three officials and the pay is $110 per official after mileage.