The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I've had three games this week, and in two of them I couldn't tell from the behavior which coach was the head coach, and which was the assistant. In my game yesterday, my aprtner finally had to talk to the coaches to get it straight, and to get them in line. Today, I just reminded the coaches once that assistant could not address the ref, nor be off the bench during play. Is it a fluke that this has happened to me twice in one week? Or is it a growing problem in other places?
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

In PA we have a pregame meeting with captains and Head Coaches. Whoever attends is Batman for the game. Once I suspected it was an assistant coach who attended the meeting and asked him to verify - sure enough it was the AC. After we switched coaches, everything went smooth from there. As part of that pregame meeting I review the HC box location for that game (it is new this year in PA). All this helps HC and ref to work well together for the game.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Just this week:: I knew who was the HC because she came to the HC/Capt Mtg a few minutes earlier.
Partner has foul, basket made, count the bucket and ASStant suddenly gets his panties in a wad and starts fussing at me about partners call. I looked straight at HC and asked; "who's the HC here"? She responded with: "me". So I just asked her; "then why is he talking to me"? She shut him up and we had a wonderful game.
I could tell by the look on his face that others have probably allowed him to chirp in the past but he was able to figure out how to operate that zipper on his lips, so I didn't see any need to pursue it further.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 01:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - now I can't get the picture out of my head of you dressed as Catwoman. Thanks.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie - now I can't get the picture out of my head of you dressed as Catwoman. Thanks.
Downright terrifying!!
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
My usual comment is, "Coach, your assistant is going to get you in trouble." They get the hint and most times the head coach tells the assistant to be quite.

Works for me.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Know the man ...

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I've had three games this week, and in two of them I couldn't tell from the behavior which coach was the head coach, and which was the assistant. In my game yesterday, my aprtner finally had to talk to the coaches to get it straight, and to get them in line. Today, I just reminded the coaches once that assistant could not address the ref, nor be off the bench during play. Is it a fluke that this has happened to me twice in one week? Or is it a growing problem in other places?
I would simply always know ahead of time who is the main man. That is not a problem in our state since we have a required administration meeting with the coaches before the contest, but I would always want to know who to listen to and who to ignore.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
We always have the Head Coach sign the book before the game, verifying the numbers and names.

We normally don't have the AC offer to do this, mostly b/c they don't want to get the chewing from the coach for a T from something being wrong
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think coaches that are not very experienced seem to allow assistants run their mouths more often. I worked a Freshman Tournament yesterday afternoon that that took place.

I love it when a coach tries to say, "I have been coaching for 13 years and I have never been T'd up that fast." Well maybe if that coach was a varsity coach he might realize that officials do not play that.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
My usual comment is, "Coach, your assistant is going to get you in trouble." They get the hint and most times the head coach tells the assistant to be quite.
My variation on that comment is, "Coach, your assistant is about to buy you a seat for the rest of the game."

Either way, it's very effective.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Had two BV games yesterday. Good tournament. My P and I got lucky because we had the game that should have been the final. Went to OT.

Anyways, the HC of A gives the other team 2 + possession. Then he's up wandering around the bench. I'm table side, and at the first DB I give a quick hold to my P and mention to this coach how the penalty for a technical foul includes losing the coaching box. He's like "Oh Christ, are you kidding me?" As if we're evil to enforce it.

"Ah, yeah coach," goes through my mind.

He ended up winning in OT.

Anyways, yes I always ID the HC during the pre-game. it makes it alot easier when the AC gets OOC. Aruond my area, they know why we ask who the HC is.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Had two BV games yesterday. Good tournament. My P and I got lucky because we had the game that should have been the final. Went to OT.

Anyways, the HC of A gives the other team 2 + possession. Then he's up wandering around the bench. I'm table side, and at the first DB I give a quick hold to my P and mention to this coach how the penalty for a technical foul includes losing the coaching box. He's like "Oh Christ, are you kidding me?" As if we're evil to enforce it.

"Ah, yeah coach," goes through my mind.

He ended up winning in OT.

Anyways, yes I always ID the HC during the pre-game. it makes it alot easier when the AC gets OOC. Aruond my area, they know why we ask who the HC is.
And this year's winner for the most prolific use of SLAs and TLAs goes to JugglingReferee
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

The games that started this thread turns out there were "co-head-coaches". My partner was the R. He had not clarified who was head coach. The guy who was at the coaches' conference was up for the first few minutes of the game. Then the other guy asks for time out. I thoughtlessly gave it to him, then realized I shouldn't have. After the time out, partner went and talked to the first guy, and asked for clarification. He says, "We're co-coaches so we can both request TO's and be up." Partner says no way. So the guy who had been at the coaches conference says he's the head coach. But it was the other guy that was up the most. We spoke to it a couple of times, finally got it under control.

So what's with the co-coach thing? Since when is this a good idea?!?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 12:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The games that started this thread turns out there were "co-head-coaches". My partner was the R. He had not clarified who was head coach. The guy who was at the coaches' conference was up for the first few minutes of the game. Then the other guy asks for time out. I thoughtlessly gave it to him, then realized I shouldn't have. After the time out, partner went and talked to the first guy, and asked for clarification. He says, "We're co-coaches so we can both request TO's and be up." Partner says no way. So the guy who had been at the coaches conference says he's the head coach. But it was the other guy that was up the most. We spoke to it a couple of times, finally got it under control.

Two things, Juulie.
1. It assuages egoes.
2. They're trying for a loophole in the rules allowing them both hc privileges.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If I recall it is allowed in NCAA games, but if one coach gets 2Ts the other one has to go out the door with him. As far as I know it is NOT allowed in NFHS play, at least I wouldn't allow it. Wait, I'd let them both be co-asst coaches. Neither has that standing priviledge or can request a time-out.