The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question

High School Girls basketball game (Fed Rules). A held ball is called and the arrow is mistakenly pointing the wrong direction. The officials look at the arrow and award the ball to Team B. Coach from Team A is at the table pointing out the mistake as the ball is handed to the inbound passer. The official scorer seems to agree that there was a mistake, but does nothing. Team B inbounds the ball and scores. Team A comes down the floor, scores and the ball goes back the other way where a dead ball occurs. Things are explained to the the officials and they confer about it. After a short time, the officials talk to each coach and things stay the way they are.

My question is: What more could the coach of Team A have done to get this taken care of before the next dead ball? I think the horn should have been sounded as soon as the mistake was discovered and things could have been corrected immediately.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 08:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu

My question is: What more could the coach of Team A have done to get this taken care of before the next dead ball? I think the horn should have been sounded as soon as the mistake was discovered and things could have been corrected immediately.
It's not a correctable error. Trying to fix it before the "next dead ball" isn't applicable. If the error wasn't caught before the ball touched an in-bounds player on the AP throw-in, then it's too late to change anything.

See case book play 6.4.1SitD.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
My question is: What more could the coach of Team A have done to get this taken care of before the next dead ball? I think the horn should have been sounded as soon as the mistake was discovered and things could have been corrected immediately. [/B][/QUOTE]

He would have noticed that the official signaled the wrong direction and gotten the officials attention (politely) then it could have been taken care of right then and there.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

call a time out

he can call a time out to discuss the possession arrow as in 5-8-4...but it has to be before the error actually occurs (ie the ball is inbounded)
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Possession arrow mistake. Once you put the ball in play, you can't change the possession. The team that was suppose to have the possession will get it at the next held ball.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bchill24
Possession arrow mistake. Once you put the ball in play, you can't change the possession. The team that was suppose to have the possession will get it at the next held ball.
Nope, you put the ball "in play" when you place it at the disposal of the thrower. That's when the ball becomes live. The mistake can still be corrected at that point, and can also be corrected up to the time it touches an inbounds player on the throw-in. See the case book play that I referenced above for confirmation.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What more could the coach of Team A have done to get this taken care of before the next dead ball?
The way I read your story is that there were already 3 dead balls before the officials were notified of the mistake.

This would have been to late even if the error was correctable.

As cmathews stated, the coach should request a TO if he thinks an error can be corrected.
If the error is not correctable, the coach has lost a TO.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 05:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
High School Girls basketball game (Fed Rules). A held ball is called and the arrow is mistakenly pointing the wrong direction. The officials look at the arrow and award the ball to Team B. Coach from Team A is at the table pointing out the mistake as the ball is handed to the inbound passer. The official scorer seems to agree that there was a mistake, but does nothing. Team B inbounds the ball and scores. Team A comes down the floor, scores and the ball goes back the other way where a dead ball occurs. Things are explained to the the officials and they confer about it. After a short time, the officials talk to each coach and things stay the way they are.

The AP Arrow is not pointing toward the correct basket is not a Correctable Error. But there is a way to correct the situation and it must be corrected before the AP Throw-in ends.

The play in this post is a good example of what Coach A did correctly. The rules allow Coach A to go to the Scorer's/Timer's Table and request at timeout to ask that a Correctable Error be corrected, and he is allowed this same privilege if the AP Arrow is not correct. In the posted play, the Scorer (the visible AP Arrow is official; the Scorer's written account of the AP Arrow is official) sound have notified the Game Officials immediately upon Coach A's request concerning the AP Arrow. If the Game Officials found that the AP Arrow was indeed incorrect, the AP Arrow is corrected and Team A is awarded the AP Throw-in. If the the AP Arrow was correct, then Team A is charged with at team timeout, and if there is any remaining time left they are entitled to use it. But the deadline to correct and mistake in the AP Arrow is before the AP Throw-in ends.

Therefore in the posted play, if the mistake is not discovered until after Team B completes its AP Throw-in, then the AP Arrow is left pointing toward Team A's basket and Team A will receive the next AP Throw-in. A team shall not receive two consecutive AP Throw-ins.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio