The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have read through the rules and for the life of me i am not getting it.. Does the five second count end when the ball is thrown or legally touched ??

Also does the five second count count as part of the ten second count or once the ball is legally touched is there a brand new count ?

Hope this made sense .....
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I have read through the rules and for the life of me i am not getting it.. Does the five second count end when the ball is thrown or legally touched ??

Also does the five second count count as part of the ten second count or once the ball is legally touched is there a brand new count ?

Hope this made sense .....
1. 5 second count ends when the ball is released towards the court for a throwin.

2. 10 second count begins when player control is established by a player in his or her backcourt. It does not legally end until the ball has established fc status.

So, from the time that the ball is released until it is secured, there is no count.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chess Ref
[B]I have read through the rules and for the life of me i am not getting it.. Does the five second count end when the ball is thrown or legally touched ??

9-2-4...Consume five seconds from the time the throw-in starts until the ball is released on a pass directly into the court.

9-8...A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

There is no team or player control during the throw-in therefore those 5 seconds could not count toward the 10 seconds.

The 10 second count does not end until the ball has frontcourt status

[Edited by joseph2493 on Dec 28th, 2004 at 10:52 AM]
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

4-41-4
The throw-in count ends when the ball is released by the thrower so the passed ball goes directly into the court.

It's as simple as that.

Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
2. 10 second count begins when player control is established by a player in his or her backcourt. It does not legally end until the ball has established fc status.
What if there's a foul or violation before you get to 10? The count doesn't end?!?!
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
What if there's a foul or violation before you get to 10? The count doesn't end?!?!
B knocks the ball away and A gets possesion back the count continues.

If B knocks the ball out of bounds then a new 10 second count will start.

I would say the same for a foul.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 01:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Or a timeout. Or a made basket. Or a wedgie.

Dagnabbit. I hate it when I give incomplete answers. How about I add, "or a on a dead ball" right after "status."
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

In the old days it was 5 sec. to touch someone inbounds AND it was a violation by A to throw it to B who is standing OOB. The theory was that A failed to throw it legally inbounds. Glad both rules changed!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
AND it was a violation by A to throw it to B who is standing OOB.
Doon't forget that even now, it's only legal to throw it to a teammate oob after a made basket.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
Quote:
Quote:

If B is in the front court and deflects the ball back to A in the backcourt the count starts over.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If B is in the front court and deflects the ball back to A in the backcourt the count starts over.
I'm sorry, this is true; but if b knocks it away in backcourt then the count continues.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, this is true; but if b knocks it away in backcourt then the count continues.
Correct, I was adding another wrinkle, in case someone applied your continued count instead of a new count in that situation.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Correct, I was adding another wrinkle, in case someone applied your continued count instead of a new count in that situation. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you much
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref

When the player hits the button on the Chess Clock?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Delayed time on chess clocks

Very good JIMgolf. I take it you you know all about the time delays in Chess that have cut down on time violations in Chess tourneys. I am a sorry excuse for a chess player but play in as many tourneys as possible. Got one coming up in San Fran a week from Saturday.. Mike