The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I have an important evaluation coming up on Monday, and I have been going back through my little notebook, which I write in after each game or set of games. I have a question about how to work with a partner. The guy I will be working with on Monday is pretty good, and I'm not worried about how we will get along. But I had a situation last week which I'd like to avoid in an eval, if possible.

The problem was that because we were switching on every foul, and several fouls in a row were under the basket, I eneded up calling about six fouls in a row. The big problem was that the three in a row on team A were all on the same girl. They were all good hard fouls, and I can't say that I regret any of them, although I took a lot of heat from the coach. But it does look bad, doesn't it? Is there a way for partners to work together to keep this from appearing like a vendetta? Do we not switch once? Or does he call one of them from outside? Do I need to tip him off as we pass on the floor? Or if I'm the partner, do I ask if he wants me to something in particular?
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

We work three man, so it's a little different. But our booking supervisor has told me that if I get into a sitaution that has me calling several fouls in a row, like when a team is fouling at the end of a game, make an "unnatural switch." Get out of the position where you're making every call. it's easy in three man because you can rotate along the baseline, even if it's not ncessary, just to make the switch. You may want to ask your supervisor how he would handle this sitch.

But if you're switching on every foul, how did you end up calling 6 fouls in a row under the basket?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
But if you're switching on every foul, how did you end up calling 6 fouls in a row under the basket?
1)under team A basket, then switch, B rebounds, 2)under B basket, then switch, A rebounds, 3)under A basket, then switch etc.

Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
1)under team A basket, then switch, B rebounds, 2)under B basket, then switch, A rebounds, 3)under A basket, then switch etc.
Stop calling fouls and give your partner a chance.

Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen worse

Not necessarily worse, but . . .

In a game about 1 month ago, it seemed like one official (boys' JV) was always coming over to the table. I checked with the scorer, who said that it was the same official each time. The second official didn't call a foul until the 3rd quarter - and we had reached bonus at least one way in the first half!
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 03:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Juulie - this happens from time to time and I understand your concern about the appearance. However, you cannot artificially switch just because you are "worried" you may have to call another foul.

First of all, if you do this, it is the same as letting a coach intimidate or work you, even though you may not see it that way. What is happening is that you are afraid of criticism for doing exactly what you are supposed to do - call fouls when they occur.

Second, always remember that you do not foul anybody. You just watch the game and inform the scorer when a player commits a foul. If you are worried about calling too many fouls against one team on one end, then the cure would be to stop calling fouls when they occur - not just to work the other end of the court. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that.

Third, there is no rule in the book of which I am aware that says our job is to make sure there is an equal number of fouls called on both teams or an equal number called by each official. As long as you and your partner are making calls consistently based on the amount and nature of contact, you are doing your job correctly.

Sometimes, the game just goes the way the game just goes.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Continue to switch on all fouls (unless your association
doesn't switch on long fouls of course). The point here is
that if someone is coming out to see you then you need
to demonstrate *perfect* mechanics. As for this sequence,
in 2 man it's difficult to get yourself out of the "flow"
by making an unnatural switch, as Tony suggests for 3 man.
If you had 6 good fouls that you were proud of then don't
let any coach back you down, keep making those calls
and your evaluator will be very proud of you when you
do! Believe me, he'll probably give you an earful if your
explanation for *not* switching is because you didn't
want to call another foul!

Bottom line: there's really nothing you could have
done to avoid calling 3 in a row on this player,
other than spend an afternoon with her explaining the
differences between basketball & football. Keep doing
what you're doing!
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mark & Dan are absolutely correct- Quit playing head games with youself -Just get out there and call it! If you try to set up some artificial situation just to impress an evaluator the only person you will be fooling is yourself- I Have evaluated for many years and officials who try to keep things even etc. etc. are obvious and rarely get ahead - an evaluation day should be no different than any other game. The best evaluations are done when the official is healthy ,working a top game for his/her level and is NOT AWARE he/she is being evaluated. That's how I do most of mine.
Good Luck -don't worry and work hard plus use the correct mechanics- Look good and hustle!!!
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate what you have all said. My concern is that I have heard people (who do levels of ball much higher than I do) say things like, Whatever you do, don't call a foul on the same player three times in a row. and If you call two fouls on one team, be sure the next one is on the other team. and Be sure if you catch a player once, your partner catches them next time. and Be sure you and your partner are calling about an equal number of fouls.

I feel more comfortable with what you-all are saying and it makes more sense. And usually I think the appearance of unbalance or of bias is not an accurate view. But I've heard all this other stuff and I wonder, is this because in 3-whistle it's easier to make this work? Or it's more appropriate for varsity than freshman? What am I missing here?
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

All those people are WRONG!!! Call it as you see it!!! If you don't get out of these mind games you will have to get out of the game!!!
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Smile Agree with Peter....

You need to call the game as YOU see it!

As long as you have taken the time to learn the rules and proper mechanics, you have to enter the game knowing that you are in control of YOU. I have noticed that you are trying to "adopt" many different philosphies. Again, get a mental toughness that does not allow others to "play mind games with you." As I have told you earlier; it is JUST a game and we, as officials, do all that we can, but we are gonna miss one every once in a while.

Keep studying (building your knowledge) and keep calling them (applying your knowledge)!

Professionalism should overrule any appearance of bias!
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
juulie,

When you hear the veterans talking about not calling multiple fouls in a row on a player or team, they are probably meaning that if there is a double whistle situation, where you both have the same call, give it up to the official who has not been making several calls in a row. You must call the game and the fouls regardless. There will be times where you have a partner who will not blow the whistle under and circumstances, so you will have to look like the bad guy. In these situations, the coaches and evaluators will see what is happening and understand.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
In these situations, the coaches and evaluators will see what is happening and understand.
Evaluators, yes! Coaches, I doubt it!

Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Agree with Peter....

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
I have noticed that you are trying to "adopt" many different philosphies. Again, get a mental toughness that does not allow others to "play mind games with you."
Willie-
I'm not trying to adopt any particular philosophy, I'm just trying to develop one of my own. I have never done any sports at all and have never really thought about a lot of this stuff, so I'm trying it all on for size. I don't necessarily agree with anything I'm posting, I'm just trying to see what different people think so that I can see what all the different ideas are. This is the way I do things in general. I has been a real learning experience for me to learn by doing instead of by reading.

I agree with what you say about mind games, and I know I have a tendency to fall into this trap. I"m trying to get over it and have the mental toughness you talk about. I'll get there and probably sooner because of your advice, and the encouragement of others. Thanks!!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Stuff like this happens. Think about this...
(1) Were they good calls? If so, don't worry.
(2) Were the calls in your area? If so, don't worry.

If any of the calls had a double whistle (I know that's hard with 2-man, have your partner take one.

Had boys varisty game last year where I was primary on 6 straight "block/charge" situations. I felt each call was right on the money. The problem was each call went against the home team. It just happens.
Keep up the good work.