The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

While waiting to do a varsity game last week I saw the following situation: A1 is dribbling the ball down the floor when the Trail gives a T to B1. During the dead ball time, but before the T is reported to the table, the Lead gives a T to A3. Live ball T on B1 and dead ball T on A3. One official reported both T's (problem #1)-I assume Lead should have reported his and Trail should have reported his T. Then the reporting official reports the T's offset and thus there will be no free throws (problem #2)-both teams should have shot two free throws. Now comes the confusing part-who gets the ball after both teams shot free throws?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:25pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by twref
Now comes the confusing part-who gets the ball after both teams shot free throws?
Look at the arrow
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

why would it come to alternating possession if the technicals were not called simultaneously?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

twref is correct - this a false double foul - see 4-19-8. According to the summary of penalties for fouls, item 7 , each foul carries it's own penalty. They are administered in the order that they occurred:
1. Team A gets 2 shots
2. Team B gets 2 shots
3. Team B gets the ball for inbound at the division line.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Sorry, got caught up in the same official reporting both Ts. Guess I probably should read the thread before posting
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I saw 4-19-8. I still don't understand why B gets the ball. Is it because A was the last team to get the T?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
why would it come to alternating possession if the technicals were not called simultaneously?
ART. 9 . . . A simultaneous foul (personal or technical) by opponents is a situation in which there is a foul by both teams which occurs at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other.

If they occurred close in time, they can be considered simultanous. Of course, approximately is not defined so that is up to the judegement of the official. Also, the timing of the whistles may or may not have accurately represented the timing of the infractions.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw 4-19-8. I still don't understand why B gets the ball. Is it because A was the last team to get the T?
Yes.