The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I had a JVG game last week where my partner and I came out at 3 minutes left in the intermission. The 3 minutes run down and only one team is on the floor. The refs, timer, scorer, and team "A" are all ready to go but team B is still in the locker room. I know about the resuming play procedure outlined in 7-5-1 but I surely want to avoid putting the ball in play for an uncontested layup, violation, and then a technical with only one team on the floor. Fortunately, within 5 to 10 seconds after we were ready to go, team B sprints onto the court and we start the second half. My question is do the officals have a responsibilty to send someone to get the other team on the floor if they see that this situation could occur? Have any of you had this happen and had to administer penalties with only one team on the floor?
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 10:30am
In Memoriam

The timer is supposed to notify the referee when there is a little more than 3 minutes left in a half. Then the referee is supposed to notify the teams, or have somebody notify the teams for him, at least 3 minutes before the half ends. If a team does not come out on the court in a timely fashion to start the second half, it is a team technical foul for delay; you don't use the resuming play procedure unless both teams are back on the court but one or both teams aren't then responding to your signals.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 20th, 2004 at 10:34 AM]
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

7-5-1 states after a time-0ut or Intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-2) the resumption of play procedure is used to prevent delay. 6-2-2 states that to start the second, third and fourth quarters, the ball shall be put in play by a thorw-in under the laternating posssion procedure. So why does 7-5-1 not apply after the half-time intermission?
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 11:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dbyb
7-5-1 states after a time-0ut or Intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-2) the resumption of play procedure is used to prevent delay. 6-2-2 states that to start the second, third and fourth quarters, the ball shall be put in play by a thorw-in under the laternating posssion procedure. So why does 7-5-1 not apply after the half-time intermission?
See case book play 10-1.9COMMENT. That sets out how to use the different procedures.