The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

There are other disadvantages other than the shot not going in. If a B player is allowed to contact the airborne shooter without penalty, the A players could be intimidated by the fact that they KNOW that they can't leave themselves vulnerable as an airborne shooter. THAT'S a disadvantage. We need to protect our airborne shooters, provided they aren't contacting someon with LGP.

Well if we start calling every contact as a foul because we're worried that players might start being intimidated that they might be contacted...... yikes.

I think you just made my point for me that we call some contact as a foul even if it doesn't disadvantage a player. There are more reasons to call fouls than just adv/dis. The exact same contact in one game that is called a foul might not be called as a foul in another game.

Adv/dis isn't the only reason we call fouls.

Z
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Robmoz,

Looks like Chucks post above is exactly the point I was trying to make with the sitch I described in the "Coach takes a charge post" that you lambasted me for.

I'm glad I am not alone in what I thought adv/disadv to be. In my post, the impression I tried to make was that the dribbler was not hindered in any way.
I hear ya kenna...

But in that other thread you made reference to a midcourt foul committed on a breakaway. You would not have known if the dribbler was hindered in that situation until he made it all the way to the basket and scores (using your criteria). My point was that if there is illegal contact you need to make that call as opposed to incidental contact.

Oh yeah, if you felt lambasted, I apologize for any ill-will generated by my words as I never mean to be offensive.