The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ball is in the corner. A1 on ball side block, B1 playing behind him and B2 fronting him. Ball lobbed to A1 who jumps in the air and catches the ball then comes down on B1, who was playing behind him, I call PC because B1 had legal guarding position before A1 left the floor. A's coach was very upset saying that defense HAS to let offense come down. Is this a case of legal guarding position??

Thanks

shont
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shont
Ball is in the corner. A1 on ball side block, B1 playing behind him and B2 fronting him. Ball lobbed to A1 who jumps in the air and catches the ball then comes down on B1, who was playing behind him, I call PC because B1 had legal guarding position before A1 left the floor. A's coach was very upset saying that defense HAS to let offense come down. Is this a case of legal guarding position??

Thanks

shont
Yes, B1 was there before he left the floor and was guarding a player with the ball, so time and distance is not a factor.

Good call.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

This might make for some interesting discussion but I recently found out that the education officer in my association said that we should call an intentional foul if any player tries to take a charge from an airborne shooter or an airborne player with the ball, by setting up under them while they're in the air.

Any thoughts on that??
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question

ref18.
I want to make sure I understand. Your educator meant if they were moving into the airborne player or undercutting someone, not if they had already established LGP, right?
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
This might make for some interesting discussion but I recently found out that the education officer in my association said that we should call an intentional foul if any player tries to take a charge from an airborne shooter or an airborne player with the ball, by setting up under them while they're in the air.

Any thoughts on that??
How can you judge an attempt to get there before they leave the floor from attempting to undercut an airborne player? We are talking split seconds in most cases, I think this is as wrong as saying there must be a whistle anytime a player hits the floor, which another assignor suggested a while back.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

This was if they try to set up LGP after the player has left his feet. Obviously to draw the charge. I see some logic in this statment, but haven't yet had to call this.

This is how I see it. There is no possibility of obtaining LGP while a player is in the air. Therefore if you set up under the player 100% of the time there will be a foul, and as it's an intentional act to draw the charge which is impossible because you can't obtain legal guarding position then I'm ruling this as an intentional block, with the appropriate penalties.

And yes, undercutting is the only time when this would be called this way.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What if (s)he has LGP before the player is airborne? Are you calling a PC every time or will there be times you'll have incidental contact?
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

At the force someone comes down, I don't think there'd be incidental contact in this situation. I could be wrong, I haven't had to made that decision yet, but I would say I'm on the side of calling a player control foul if it is warranted.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

To me your educator made a statement that sounds good at first, but might be a generalization that overrides a judgement call. Some plays are very cut and dry and very black and white. But a lot of plays fall into that tricky gray area that lends itself to rules interpretation and also makes our jobs interesting and exciting.
I've got to think about this statement some more.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

The first time I heard this school of thought, I was thinking it was insane, but then I thought about it, and it sounds like it can work. Now I've just got to see it happen on the court, and make a decision based on that.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any thoughts on that??
I certainly hope that what your "education officer" meant was on a dangerous undercut situation.

I've seen a defensive player set up a hair late many times before and get a block called against them, but it is in no way an intentional foul. If your education officer meant that literally, maybe he/she should be busted down in rank to "education private third class."

Z
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
The first time I heard this school of thought, I was thinking it was insane, but then I thought about it, and it sounds like it can work. Now I've just got to see it happen on the court, and make a decision based on that.
If the defender moves underneath after the shooter goes up, it's a block. There's no question about that, is there? I think your educatiion person is saying, in some cases, he wants it to be not a common foul but an intentional foul, right? Seems like a hard sell to me, 99.9% of the time.

Regarding the original play, seems pretty clear that it's PC if the defender didn't move. Block if defender did move. The easiest way to nail block/charge is to ref the defense.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 08:54am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
If the defender moves underneath after the shooter goes up, it's a block. There's no question about that, is there? I think your educatiion person is saying, in some cases, he wants it to be not a common foul but an intentional foul, right? Seems like a hard sell to me, 99.9% of the time.

Regarding the original play, seems pretty clear that it's PC if the defender didn't move. Block if defender did move. The easiest way to nail block/charge is to ref the defense.

Juulie:

I think that his instructor is trying to differentiate between these two player:

Play 1: A1 driving down the lane and B1 in attempt to draw a charge takes a defensive position facing A1 just after A1 becomes airborne. RULING: Blocking by B1.

Play 2: A1 driving down the lane and B1 undercuts A1. An undercut is an intentional foul at the least and could be a flagrant foul if B1's action is really out of line.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Juulie:

I think that his instructor is trying to differentiate between these two player:

Play 1: A1 driving down the lane and B1 in attempt to draw a charge takes a defensive position facing A1 just after A1 becomes airborne. RULING: Blocking by B1.

Play 2: A1 driving down the lane and B1 undercuts A1. An undercut is an intentional foul at the least and could be a flagrant foul if B1's action is really out of line.

MTD, Sr.

...mmm-hhmmm.... and your point would be...
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Have Mark go to the attic and find his brief case.

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away...

The rule interpretation used to be that any time a player was airborne and somebody went underneath it was intentional.
That was changed and Mark I believe has pointed out the difference in plays....