The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Really Wierd Play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17115-really-wierd-play.html)

gostars Sun Dec 19, 2004 05:43pm

I had someone ask me this today.

A1 attempts a 3-point shot. B1 contests the shot and then walks off the floor after it is released but before it goes in. The shot is good. The officials waved the shot off because B1 left the floor. I don't know who they gave the ball to.

I'm sure this is not the right way to handle this. I'll give you guys (and s) a chance to respond then I'll post the answer I gave.

[Edited by gostars on Dec 19th, 2004 at 06:03 PM]

nine01c Sun Dec 19, 2004 05:56pm

I can't comment on this play because I don't understand what happened. Can you clarify?

gostars Sun Dec 19, 2004 06:03pm

A1 shoots, B1 walks off the floor before the shot goes in. (but after it is released) Officials canceled the shot because B1 left the floor.

I left the word floor off the original post. I will edited the first post to fix that.

[Edited by gostars on Dec 19th, 2004 at 06:05 PM]

zebraman Sun Dec 19, 2004 06:16pm

I still don't get it.

Did they call B1 for a technical foul or something for leaving the floor unauthorized?

You are leaving a lot of info out here. Help us out so we can help you out.

Z

JRutledge Sun Dec 19, 2004 06:19pm

Now I am confused.

Waived off the basket because B1 left the floor? What for? :confused:

You still need to clarify what happen. That does not make any sense.

Peace

gostars Sun Dec 19, 2004 06:22pm

No tech was called. Basket was waved off. A was given the ball OOB.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 19, 2004 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
No tech was called. Basket was waved off. A was given the ball OOB.

Why?

nine01c Sun Dec 19, 2004 09:07pm

Well, I'll give this a try. Provided you are talking about NFHS basketball, or at least a game being played in North America I would suggest this:

The shot by A1 is counted, give them 3. This is irrelevant to what B1 did. Since B1 left the court unauthorized you could indeed assess a T foul (it doesn't matter if he left before or after the basket scored). Thus team A would shoot two T's (etc.). This is by the book

Depending upon the age/level of players and the venue (HS, travel, rec),a ref may want to decide whether he saw B1 "leave the court" For example, if it was a young rec player, or middle school, or any other especially clueless individual, and he quickly stepped back on the court after his error, I would probably let it go. Team B would be inbounding the ball after the hoop and all focus would be on that. Of course, then you may have the after-effect of a B player running on the court seeing only 4 players, and the mess continues...

One thing for sure; Waving off A1's basket and giving the ball back to team A is a very unique way to administer this play. Perhaps it's time for a rules review.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 19, 2004 09:34pm

Are you making this up?

gostars Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:50pm

No I'm not making this up. This actually happened in a V-Girls tournament this weekend. I didn't see it but someone told me about it and ask me what should have been done. I would really like to hear the conversation with the coach. I was told their reason was since B1 left the floor before the shot was no good due to B having four players on the floor. Since he won 70-27 and right after the play in question his team hit two more threes, he was probably not that upset.

I would have counted the basket and called a T on B1 for leaving the floor.

ref18 Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
No I'm not making this up. This actually happened in a V-Girls tournament this weekend. I didn't see it but someone told me about it and ask me what should have been done. I would really like to hear the conversation with the coach. I was told their reason was since B1 left the floor before the shot was no good due to B having four players on the floor. Since he won 70-27 and right after the play in question his team hit two more threes, he was probably not that upset.

I would have counted the basket and called a T on B1 for leaving the floor.

I thought having 4 players on the floor was legal??

As long as the ball has left the shooter's hands, no foul by B can cancel the shot.

Now, I'm interested in the NCAA mens ruling on this, because isn't leaving the floor a violation ??

refnrev Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:33pm

If this really happened, to quote my former soccer players, "that guy was really wacked!" This was a huge mistake regardless of the score.

gostars Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:42pm

I know this is so weird. When I was first told of this I thought What on earth!!! But, yes this really happened in a Varsity tournament. I wish I could mess up that bad and still get varsity games. :)

I was told that B1 left the court to spit in a trashcan. I also heard that some of the players were doing this (walking off the floor to spit in a trashcan in the middle of the game) all weekend and none of the officials (or coaches) had a problem with it.

[Edited by gostars on Dec 19th, 2004 at 11:47 PM]

refnrev Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:52pm

This happened on planet earth, right?

PS. With all of the spitting in a trash can in a gym, are your sure these guys really weren't wrestlers in basketball uniforms. (Proud father of a spitting wrestler here!)

[Edited by refnrev on Dec 19th, 2004 at 11:55 PM]

gostars Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by refnrev

This happened on planet earth, right?

PS. With all of the spitting in a trash can in a gym, are your sure these guys really weren't wrestlers in basketball uniforms. (Proud father of a spitting wrestler here!)

[Edited by refnrev on Dec 19th, 2004 at 11:55 PM]

Yep. V-G Tourney in East Texas.