The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

My question is, early in JV girls game last night A1 steps into passing lane of B1 steals pass. While dribbling over half court she gets grabbed by B1. Possible breakaway. I blow my whistle call holding on B1. Coach of A1 says "good foul but I would have wanted the lay-up" So my question as a first year official is do I let the play go or do I stop the play and call foul. Just wondering what other refs would do? thanks chris
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrs_schuster
My question is, early in JV girls game last night A1 steps into passing lane of B1 steals pass. While dribbling over half court she gets grabbed by B1. Possible breakaway. I blow my whistle call holding on B1. Coach of A1 says "good foul but I would have wanted the lay-up" So my question as a first year official is do I let the play go or do I stop the play and call foul. Just wondering what other refs would do? thanks chris
Be slow on the whistle, if 1-2 steps after the contact it is clear the foul took away the opportunity, then call the foul. If the dribbler has a direct line to a layup and is good enough to play through the foul, you can pass on it.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Foul!

Intentional Foul by B1. 2 FTs for A1. Ball out of bounds at the spot of foul for throw in by Team A. Coach of Team A should be satisfied.

Intentional fouls "should" be enforced early in the game just as you would be looking for them near the end of the game. (Intentional fouls are not just reserved for calling at end of the game situations.)

wl

[Edited by imaref on Dec 18th, 2004 at 05:23 PM]
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

I agree that you could call an intentional foul, but did the grasp prevent the ball handler from going to the hoop? And did the defender play the ball at all or did they just grab them with no attempt at the ball? For me it depends on what action took place and how it affected the play. It is really hard to say without more information or seeing the play myself.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up YEP....Agree!

Correcto...Mundo!

wl
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

B1 is grabbed near the division line. So, when you pass on the holding foul, and she misses the lay-up, the coach will chew YOU out for NOT calling that foul. In this particular play it sounds to me that you made the right decision to call it (if the holding actually stopped or slowed the dribbler).

When to pass on a foul comes with experience. You learn to read the big picture of each game, and become a better judge of "advantage/disadvantage." Watch as many varsity games as you can to see how veteran referees call their games. Sometimes uncalled fouls are missed, not purposely passed on, so keep that in mind. Asking experienced referees (like on this forum, or in your association) is a great way to learn. May be best to stay away from "helpful coaches" advising you.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Be slow on the whistle, if 1-2 steps after the contact it is clear the foul took away the opportunity, then call the foul. If the dribbler has a direct line to a layup and is good enough to play through the foul, you can pass on it.
I agree. Had a funny one last season - JV girls, similar situation, contact was minimal so I let it go & A1 makes an uncontested layup. On the way back up the floor, coach A wants to know why I didn't call the foul after the steal. My reply was, "minimal contact, no real disadvantage; which would you rather have, the foul or the basket". His reply - "Good point, forget I said anything".
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 03:13am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by chrs_schuster

Chris:

When you assessed A1 with a holding foul you answered your own question. Call the obvious. If it was obvious that B1 was held by A1, there is no need to have a "slow" (sorry Camron) whistle in this case, when the foul occured at the division line. The only other question that needed to be answered was the foul a common or intentional?

MTD, Sr.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio