The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone track the number of fouls called by each individual ref. At half-time a veteran from our association came and gave us some pointers. One thing he said was that R1 called 6 fouls, R2 called only 1, and R3 did not call any. He said we sgould be mindful of this and make sure no one official calls more fouls than the others. I see his point in the perception of how we are doing our job, but what if most of the fouls just happen to be in one Refs area? Is this good advice or bad?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 09:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I don't keep accurate counts such as 6, 1 and 0, but I am aware of any odd circumstances such as:

- I'm calling much more violations than my P or P's
- I'm calling much more fouls than my P or P's
- I seem to be the only one calling a particular foul. Example: handchecking or player control
- I'm getting more ear, that my P's, from the coaches
- anything else where the crew might be on different pages
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Does anyone track the number of fouls called by each individual ref. At half-time a veteran from our association came and gave us some pointers. One thing he said was that R1 called 6 fouls, R2 called only 1, and R3 did not call any. He said we sgould be mindful of this and make sure no one official calls more fouls than the others. I see his point in the perception of how we are doing our job, but what if most of the fouls just happen to be in one Refs area? Is this good advice or bad?
I don't count them, but I'm aware when one of the officials in our crew is either calling most or hardly any. That's something we would talk about briefly during a time-out to get on the same page. Also, if I know a partner hasn't called many, I'll let him take the next foul on a double whistle, even if it's in my primary.

Z
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think you can ever determine how many fouls you call in a game. Some games everything might be taking place in your area. Other nights it is like everything is happening away from you. I do talk in my pregame conferences about making similar calls if we can. I usually say, "If I am calling an illegal screen, I am sure there is another somewhere else on the court." But for the most part, you cannot make things happen in your area. I will never make something up just to make a foul call because my partners are calling all the fouls. I will also not call things that are obvious to me as well. But if we have a double whistle (and we have the same thing) I think it is a good idea to give up the call to a partner if they have not been involved in the game as much as you are. I have had games where I call the first 5 fouls and other games where I might go a half and not call one foul. It just happens that way some time.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking That's quite the résumé

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Athletic Officials Association
AOA Basketball Vice-President
AOA Baseball Board Member

Fox Valley Football Officials
Treasurer

Inter Association Council of Athletic Officials
Board Member

IHSA Official's Convention Committee
Are you sure that you're not also the son of Betazed's Fifth House, holder of the sacred Chalice of Rixx and heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

JR,

That is not a resume, that is just the positions are currently hold or groups I am involved in. Most of these have sites, I just wanted to post the links so that everyone could check them out if they wanted to.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
JR,

That is not a resume, that is just the positions are currently hold or groups I am involved in. Most of these have sites, I just wanted to post the links so that everyone could check them out if they wanted to.

Peace
If that's really the case, just post the links.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
He said we sgould be mindful of this and make sure no one official calls more fouls than the others.
I guess this means if you are "trailing" in your foul count compared to your partner, you are required to call fouls to catch up even if there aren't any.

I have to tell you - if this guy is serious - that's one of the stupidist comments I've ever heard from a ref - and believe me, I've heard plenty (some of them have even come from me).
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

If that's really the case, just post the links.
You do not see any playoff history or speaking history do you? Or the big games I have done or will do this year?

You also do not read me posting about some guy and his antics all the time either. So it is clear you and I do not go by the beat of the same drum.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Parents keep track. I was doing a non-school state tournament a few years ago, 8th grade girls, I think. After the game a parent came up and told me that we called 5 straight fouls/violations on his daugher's team. I told him, "I'm sorry sir, but I don't use a quota system." That was the same team where two mothers came up after the game and called me an a-hole. Gosh, I love non-school sports!
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking "At a Boy....ForksRef"

"I don't count fouls....I just call them."

(Mom must have seen a lot of "A-Holes" to know what they look like? She's probably a Proctologist?)

Enjoy the game! (Parents...what jokes.)
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I appreciate everyone's responses. Thanks a lot.