The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Interesting situtation that occurred the other night.

A1 has ball in his front court and makes a poor pass back to his guard A2. Without being touched, the ball flies over everyone's head and goes into the back court. As A2 races back to the ball in the back court, A1 lets out a loud ssshhh.....t! Everyone in the gym (including the locker rooms) heard this and my partner blows his whistle for the technical foul. 20 seconds on the shot clock.

Now the ball had not been touched yet for the violation as A2 still had not caught up to the ball at the time of the whistle.

So we shoot the 2 technical shots and ....

We went AP (A got the ball back with 20 on shot clock) but I am not sure that this was correct.

Please post responses according to NCAA rules.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

My belief is that you were incorrect. Team A still has team control until the violation occurs. You should have continued play following the FTs for the T with a throw-in by Team A somewhere in their backcourt, nearest where the ball was whether that be a sideline or endline throw-in.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Nevada has it right, unless your partner had judged this to be a flagrant or intentional technical foul.

Now, this is probably my NFHS mindset talking, but I might be inclined to hold my whistle until after the violation, give a slightly delayed T, then B gets the ball after 2 FT's with 35 on the clock (assuming a men's game).