The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach gets personal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17039-coach-gets-personal.html)

rainmaker Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:41am

WE had this question at our meeting tonight.

Coach doesn't like a call. Turns and addresses the fans loudly, "Hey, is there a referee in the house?" What do you do?

Most of us said T or toss. Interpreter said, ignore.

I'd be interested in any opinions any of my learned colleagues on this board would care to express.

blindzebra Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

Coach doesn't like a call. Turns and addresses the fans loudly, "Hey, is there a referee in the house?" What do you do?

I'd be interested in any opinions any of my learned colleagues on this board would care to express.

WHACK!

TimTaylor Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:06am

Quote:

Hmmmm...interesting. Just a thought - if a player "self-promoting" to the fans is worthy of T, why not a coach trying to incite a crowd reaction. If the big guy says ignore it I guess I can go along with that, but the length of the coach's leash just got very very short in my book, & I would probably enforce bench decorum & coach's behavior to the letter of the rule.

It must have been an interesting discussion, sorry I missed it - had a JV girls game at Century tonight.

David B Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:08am

Depends

Quote:

I think it would depend on the relationship that I have with the coach. That might determine if I thought he was trying to show me up or just have fun etc.,

Either way, he's going to have a short leash the rest of the night.

Thanks
David

rainmaker Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by TimTaylor

It must have been an interesting discussion, sorry I missed it - had a JV girls game at Century tonight.

It wasn't much of a discussion at all. Question was asked, we responded and then "we got tode..." but not by Howard. This was the rules person, whose name I"ll withhold for the moment. I"ll be interested to hear what Camron has to say. Or Smitty.

blindzebra Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:22am

It seems cut and dry to me.

The comment was disrespectful, it was toward the crowd with the intent to incite, and it is an improper use of the coach's box.

Was there any reasoning behind the ignore suggestion?

rainmaker Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
It seems cut and dry to me.

The comment was disrespectful, it was toward the crowd with the intent to incite, and it is an improper use of the coach's box.

Was there any reasoning behind the ignore suggestion?

"Don't throw gas on a fire." I don't agree, with that analysis. Seems to me it's the coach that's throwing gas on the fire! No one argued though, because it was right at the end of the meeting, and we all wanted to leave. I might e-mail him, though. It puzzles me that anyone would think this was ignorable.

GarthB Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:46am

Quote:

I love it when coaches ask to get a T, it makes it simple.

tjones1 Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:58am

WHACK!!! Unsportsmanlike conduct, standing you up. No more box tonight coach...have a seat.

zebraman Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:58am

Quote:

Just out of curiousity, what's the interpreter's history and experience? HS only? College too?

Z

OverAndBack Thu Dec 16, 2004 04:28am

T with a smile.

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 16, 2004 07:01am

T without a smile.

brianp134 Thu Dec 16, 2004 07:53am

"T" with or without a smile.

tomegun Thu Dec 16, 2004 08:09am

Whack! That is me putting water on the fire.

Whack! That is me blowing up the building so there is no more fire.

OverAndBack Thu Dec 16, 2004 09:26am

I'd only smile so he'd know how much I enjoyed whacking him. :)