The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Traveling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17025-traveling.html)

dknick78 Wed Dec 15, 2004 08:26am

Last night in a 8th grade girls game was had a situation where the player was on the floor with the ball. She was moving but not rolling. Traveling or not? We did not call it.

mick Wed Dec 15, 2004 08:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by dknick78
Last night in a 8th grade girls game was had a situation where the player was on the floor with the ball. She was moving but not rolling. Traveling or not? We did not call it.
dknick78,
What was her position on the floor? On her front? On her back? On her side? Sitting?
Kneeling?
What were her movements? Turning her neck? Attempting to stand? Moving her arms? Her feet?
mick

dknick78 Wed Dec 15, 2004 08:56am

She was on her knees with the ball touching the floor. She was not try to get up, she was trying to pass the ball.

Coach said after game the another offical told him that anytime a player is on the floor with the ball it is a traveling violation.

mick Wed Dec 15, 2004 09:50am

Quote:

She was on her knees with the ball touching the floor. She was not try to get up, she was trying to pass the ball.

Coach said after game the another offical told him that anytime a player is on the floor with the ball it is a traveling violation.

You were right with no violation if all she was doing was looking to pass and not attempting to move or rise without dribbling.
If she started her dribble, she could get up while she was dribbling.

If she had secured the ball and then went to her knees, a travel should be called.

mick

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 15, 2004 09:50am

Quote:

It is not my intent to be snippy this early in the morning, but I just can't pass up making this comment:

Well of course the coach is going tell you that another official told him that anytime a player is on the floor with the ball it is a traveling violation. The coach wants the call to go his way.

MTD, Sr.

Jayzer Wed Dec 15, 2004 05:46pm

I was under the impression you could not touch the floor with only your hand or foot. I would think this play would be a violation

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jayzer
I was under the impression you could not touch the floor with only your hand or foot. I would think this play would be a violation
Under what rule?

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:25pm

Quote:

Did she move her pivot cheek? :p

Adam Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:26pm

Quote:

I hate to ruin JR's fun, but this is only the case when you're dealing with a player who is upright with the ball. If a player secures control of the ball while on the ground, it is not a travel just to touch the floor with something other the hand or foot. Otherwise, players wouldn't hustle for the ball. The restrictions for a player who secures the ball while lying or sitting are listed separately.

Jayzer Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:35pm

Rule 4.43.5
I am probably wrong ( as usual)

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:51pm

Quote:

Rule 4.43.5
I am probably wrong ( as usual)

Jayzer, R4-43-5(b) says "<bb>after</b> gaining possession while on the floor and <b>touching with other than hand or foot</b>, may not attempt to get up or stand". The key words are "other than hand or foot". Iow, they can legally be on their back, on their stomach, on one or two knees, etc. You're reading it wrong.

PS- welcome to the forum.

PPS- Casebook plays have dots between the numbers. Rule book plays have dashes between the numbers. Iow, 4.43.5 denotes a casebook play and 4-43-5 would denote a rule.

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 15, 2004 08:48pm

Quote:

Five bucks says that isn't what the official said, it's what the coach heard. :)

mick Wed Dec 15, 2004 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:

Five bucks says that isn't what the official said, it's what the coach heard. :)

Good Call, Back In The Saddle !

mick

dknick78 Thu Dec 16, 2004 07:31am

Great feedback... It's nice to be correct...

Always try to be correct...

hbioteach Thu Dec 16, 2004 09:33am

Here's what a player on the floor can do:

On his/her back, can sit up.

On his/her stomach, nothing.

Roll, Travel.
Try to get up travel.

Start a dribble, you can get up.