The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

An official the other day told me about a situation he saw at a small private religious school.

The school had two of those free standing backboards, kind of like you would have in your driveway.
The front face of the bacboard went out the required 4 feet from the endline...but the base of the backboard was only about "20 inches" from the endline OOB.

The official said it was very hard to rotate while doing the 3-whistle game.

That wasn't the worst part. A player crashed into the base of the backboard and was injured. (How bad, I do not know)
A coach, or father, from the stands went nuts when this happened. He screamed at the officials that this was not safe, nor was it legal.

Rule 1 Sec 2 Art. 1
There shall be at least 3 feet (and preferably 10 feet) of unobstructed space outside boundaries.

Watta ya got?
Richland, WA
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

1-9-2

"All portable backstops must have the bases padded to a height of 7 feet on the court-side surface"

That's all I was able to find. I couldn't find any distance requirement for a portable backstop so I assume the 3 feet applies there.

If you feel it's not safe than don't play the game.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 06:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

If the gym is that small, why are you doing 3 whistle?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
If the gym is that small, why are you doing 3 whistle?
All of the leagues that our association services has requested 3-whistle for all varsity contests.
This was a varsity contest. Also, I don't believe the gym is that small...it's just that they have these free standing backboards.

I haven't actually seen the set up...a friend of mine told me about it during our pre-game the other night.

Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

where ya at Mark

I kinda figured Mark would beat me to this one, but did those goals have a big tire around the bottom like I have at my house?
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Are they actual members of your state athletic association? I've worked a couple of games at a school that wasn't (they are now) and they didn't always use NFHS rules as far as number of quarters played and such. If they are a member of the state association, I would say that the school needs to take action and get a legal support for their baskets.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Are they actual members of your state athletic association?
Unknown.

I am surprised, however, that I didn't get anyone worked up about the school and possibly the officials being involved in a potential lawsuit by the injured boys family.

One poster said don't play the game if you weren't comfortable with the situation.

I would play the game, as many others already have, but advise game management about the situation. They might not even be aware of the possible hazard.

I can hear the lawyer now:
"So Mr. Referee...you knew there was a hazard, but yet you played the game anyway...knowing someone could be possibly be injured."

My attorney:
"That is the school's responsibility to have a safe playing atmosphere."

Judge:
"Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury...you decide."

Whew!

[Edited by RookieDude on Dec 15th, 2004 at 03:55 PM]
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 11:03pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Are they actual members of your state athletic association? I've worked a couple of games at a school that wasn't (they are now) and they didn't always use NFHS rules as far as number of quarters played and such. If they are a member of the state association, I would say that the school needs to take action and get a legal support for their baskets.
If they were a small private religious school, they might be members of an alternative athletic association (Association of Christian Schools) or maybe even none.

And for some small school courts (especially for middle school or elementary), you may be hard pressed to have 3 feet of space on the sidelines.

But if a concern was broght up, i suppose all you can do is alert game managment and go from there.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball