The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have seen what I think is a developing trend. In at least 4 varsity games I have done this year (4 different teams) I see players pushing opponents out of the way to get rebounding position. I talked it with my partners last night and I think we called it 4 times. Now, I am trying real hard not to call it because I don't want to go into a game with a bias, but the ones I have called are very obvious. My question is (and maybe this is more a coaching question: are players taught this or is this from watching games on TV? Also, I know some contact has to be allowed when getting position for a rebound (incidental is okay), but where do you draw the line between incidental contact and a foul? For example, if A1 pushes B1 out of a spot but the ball goes the opposite way off the rim so neither has a chance, do you call it? Also, does anyone else see this happening more or am I just absolutely missing something here? Thanks.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Remember, every player has the right to a spot on the floor as long as they are there first. So any displacing would be a foul. I would do some preventive officiating by tell the offender to knock it off before I called a foul. Usually that works.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
I have seen what I think is a developing trend. In at least 4 varsity games I have done this year (4 different teams) I see players pushing opponents out of the way to get rebounding position. I talked it with my partners last night and I think we called it 4 times. Now, I am trying real hard not to call it because I don't want to go into a game with a bias, but the ones I have called are very obvious. My question is (and maybe this is more a coaching question: are players taught this or is this from watching games on TV? Also, I know some contact has to be allowed when getting position for a rebound (incidental is okay), but where do you draw the line between incidental contact and a foul? For example, if A1 pushes B1 out of a spot but the ball goes the opposite way off the rim so neither has a chance, do you call it? Also, does anyone else see this happening more or am I just absolutely missing something here? Thanks.
Some games it happens, some games it doesn't. Some advantage/disadvantage does apply on rebounding, but you also have to remember that avoiding rough play is almost always a POE in the rule book. If you let A1 push B1 out of his spot and don't call it because neither A1 or B1 would have got the rebound, what do you think will happen between A1 and B1 on the other end? Making a couple rebound push calls early on will help the rest of the game.

Z
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
What's the question?

Pushing a player off a spot is a foul. There is a POE every year talking about rough play, well this is the type of play they are talking about.

Get it early and it will stop, pass and it's the type of play that escalates into harder fouls later on in the game.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

This is one area that I feel I need to address in my game. So let me reiterate what I think I'm hearing, and ya'll can tell me if I've misunderstood.

Shot goes up and B2 pushes A2 under the basket on the left-hand side of the basket. Rebound goes to the right. I should ignore the fact that the rebound went to right and call the foul? Rather, I likely should have already called the foul before the rebound occurred. Also, as long as the shot was in the air before the foul occurred, the basket will count if it goes -- no matter which team the foul is on. Is all that about right?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
This is one area that I feel I need to address in my game. So let me reiterate what I think I'm hearing, and ya'll can tell me if I've misunderstood.

Shot goes up and B2 pushes A2 under the basket on the left-hand side of the basket. Rebound goes to the right. I should ignore the fact that the rebound went to right and call the foul? Rather, I likely should have already called the foul before the rebound occurred. Also, as long as the shot was in the air before the foul occurred, the basket will count if it goes -- no matter which team the foul is on. Is all that about right?
You are right about the fact that the shot will count if it had already been released when the foul occurred. I would never tell you whether or not you should call the foul or not. It depends on how much contact happened and perhaps also on the intensity of the game. That's why you get paid the big bucks is to decide when contact is or isn't a foul.

Z

Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

If the push is a blatant push YES, you should call it.

Sometimes the direction of the rebound may cause contact. Let's say A1 has inside position on B1 and the rebound goes long and both players jump back in the direction of the ball, you are likely to have incidental contact on this type of play, with team A screaming for an "over the back" foul.

Blantant displacement falls under rough play, and advantage/disadvantage should not be a determining factor in calling the foul.

Yes a basket should count if a foul occurs after the ball is released, unless that foul is on the airborne shooter.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

The reason you see it as a developing trend is because there are :

1) too many officials who do not watch for this because they arent watching off ball

2) just not calling it...

I had a game the other day and the ball went up on a three point shot, the defensive kid down low had two hands in the back of the offensive low post player and gave him a good push.

I hated calling a 3 point basket good and then giving the team that just scored the ball. However as soon as I blew the whistle the offesnse was screaming did you see the push!

Duh why did my whistle go off? But if I had not called it I know it would have escalated at the other end and been worse.

If it is a minor bump opposite the rebound you may use ad/disad but when in doubt. CALL IT!
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Kelvin,

Thanks. My original post was a curiosity question to see if this is happening in other places too. I agree with your point and I plan on covering this in the pre-game. I agree completely with you that if this is allowed to happen it can get out of control.