The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Am I goofy or did they kick this.

HS Freshmen Boys (contract officials not asssociated with any chapter). A1 is to shoot 2 free throws, enters the circle while staring at the rim...never notices that his foot is on the FT line. Lead bounces him the ball...TWEET...Trail calls him for a violation as soon as he catches the ball.

A1 still had not looked at his feet. I thought it wouldn't be a violation until he actually attempted the shot. Am I missing something?
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Am I goofy or did they kick this.

HS Freshmen Boys (contract officials not asssociated with any chapter). A1 is to shoot 2 free throws, enters the circle while staring at the rim...never notices that his foot is on the FT line. Lead bounces him the ball...TWEET...Trail calls him for a violation as soon as he catches the ball.

A1 still had not looked at his feet. I thought it wouldn't be a violation until he actually attempted the shot. Am I missing something?
By rule, the ref is right. Between the time the ball is at the shooter's disposal and the shot either hits the basket or goes through the basket, it's a violation for anyone to be in the lane. In this case, as soon as he caught the ball, it's a violation.
Lead should have caught it first, though, and prevented it.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

nope not missing anything

technically this would be the correct call...however some preventive officiating is in order...don't administer the throw with the foot on the line.....
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

If you know your partner gave him the ball with your his foot on the line, try this. Blow the whistle, call "My time." Walk into the lane and pick up a piece of whatever and slip it into your pocket, if there's nothing there, fake it. Quietly tell the kid to watch his feet. Back out of the lane and let your partner begin again.