The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Intentional on jumpball??
when do you set possession arrow, when you hand the ball to the free thrower, or when you hand the ball to the thrower out of bounds after the free throws???
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
when do you set possession arrow, when you hand the ball to the free thrower, or when you hand the ball to the thrower out of bounds after the free throws???
When the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower OOB. R4-3-3(b).
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]When the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower OOB. R4-3-3(b). [/B][/QUOTE]

the thrower is also the free "thrower" are you sure they are talking about the out of bounds thrower????? i think the book needs to be more clear.... it just states "thrower".... which could be taken either way?? this is question #2 on the part 2 test that i took with our association last night and there was a good discussion on it, but could never come to an agreement.... the rule book talks about it in two places and uses thrower in both
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rule 4-3 refers to the free thrower as the "free thrower"(Art. 2). It refers to the thrower (meaning the OOB thrower) as the "thrower" (Art. 3). The reason you wait on a noncommon foul (intentional or T) is that other events may occur before the Alternating Posession is determined. For example, wheile Team A is shooting their Intentional Foul Shots, Coach B may be assessed a T foul for screaming at the Ref to "Read the rule book!" Thus, more T fouls need to be shot. When things are ready to resume, the AP arrow will be set when the ball is at the disposal of the "thrower" (the one OOB ready to throw it in).

Also, in Art. 3 it states the AP is established when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after a violation during or following the jump ball before a player secures control (for example A1 bats the ball OOB on the tap off). Well, obviously the "thrower" is not the free thrower.

I'm surprised your asociation had such lengthy discussion about this.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the clarification... and it wouldn't of been as lengthy if hard headed old men that don't know what they are talking about would have shut their mouths and read the rules like they are printed... you have to know some of the guys!!! they would argue black is white, just for the sake of an argument..
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, we have some of those!
It is worse with baseball umpires.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 01:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
When the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower OOB. R4-3-3(b).
I just sat down with the Part II exam. Question 2 is this situation.

If I wait long enough to send this in will all the "hard" questions be answered?

--Rich