The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Same NCAA game as the other post.

Time winding down in the first half. Team A scores with 3 seconds left. B1 grabs the ball, steps OOB, turns, then steps slightly but clearly over the OOB line and releases the throw-in.

Whistle blows for the violation, clock clearly at 1 second. Clock continues and horn sounds.

First, do we call the violation? There were Team A players nearby, but no one pressuring the inbounder. The calling official is certain that the player stepped inbounds, but is probably the only one who saw it. So do we have a whistle or not?

Second, if we do have a whistle, can we just say "that's the half" after the horn sounds? We put 1 second back on the clock, thinking that NCAA doesn't allow for lag time.

Thoughts please.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 10:37pm
Administrator

Chuck:

I have not read the other NCAA thread yet, but I do know that both the NFHS and NCAA takes the position that advantage/disadvantage applies only to the application of the rules with regard to fouls. Their position regard to violations is that a violation is a violation is a violation.

Having said that, if your play was on a rules examination, then you handled it correctly by calling the violation and resetting the game clock to one second.

Of course we know that rules examinations are not always reality. I will be honest, I do not know if I would be looking at the player's feet under the game circumstances you describe.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Having said that, if your play was on a rules examination, then you handled it correctly by calling the violation and resetting the game clock to one second
Why would you reset the game clock to one second if you have a one second lag time?
Richland, WA
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 12:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Having said that, if your play was on a rules examination, then you handled it correctly by calling the violation and resetting the game clock to one second
Why would you reset the game clock to one second if you have a one second lag time?
There is no lag time in college basketball.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
That is why I said IF you have a one second lag.
But, thanks for the NCAA interp...I just do NFHS now days.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 10:47am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:

Rich:

Thanks for staying up late and taking care of RookieDude's question for me.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck:

I have not read the other NCAA thread yet, but I do know that both the NFHS and NCAA takes the position that advantage/disadvantage applies only to the application of the rules with regard to fouls. Their position regard to violations is that a violation is a violation is a violation.

MTD, Sr.
You are certainly on to something. I can't count the number of times I heard advantage/disadvantage applied to violations like 3 seconds and stepping on the line during throw-in.
I say call the violation.
If you don't call it, you are allowing a team to inbound the ball illegally and then potentially have enough time to score off the illegal play.

Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 03:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by AirForceDude
[/B]
You are certainly on to something. I can't count the number of times I heard advantage/disadvantage applied to violations like 3 seconds and stepping on the line during throw-in.
I say call the violation.
If you don't call it, you are allowing a team to inbound the ball illegally and then potentially have enough time to score off the illegal play.

[/B][/QUOTE]What violation is the thrower committing when he steps on the OOB line when throwing the ball in ?
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

If for some reason you decide this nit *NEEDS* to be picked then yes, put the 1 second back on the clock.

As MTD said, I'm not sure I would be looking at where the guy's foot was in this case.

Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

If for some reason you decide this nit *NEEDS* to be picked then yes, put the 1 second back on the clock.

As MTD said, I'm not sure I would be looking at where the guy's foot was in this case.
Obviously, we talked about this at halftime. The calling official said that it was "obvious" that his foot came across the line. Half his foot inbounds, and half still OOB. My other partner said he would let it go and if anybody complained, he would say, "It was close, but the foot was actually off the floor."

I don't really like that, b/c if anybody notices, I have to lie about it. So this morning, I ran it by one of the D1 officials on my board. He said if it really was "obvious" that you have to call it, for three reasons.

1) If anybody sees it (coach, player, or especially observer), you are in a bit of trouble.

2) Since it's possible for Team B to catch and shoot with 1 second on the clock, you're taking a distinct advantage away from Team B if you don't call it.

3) An NCAA tournament crew was reprimanded a few years ago for ignoring this exact play. The tape showed the inbounder step over the line and the opposing coach raised a royal stink about it. So a directive came down (to D1 folks) that line violations are never to be ignored.

Does that apply to my crew at a D3 game without TV coverage? I don't know.

Anyway, that's what I heard today. If I ask another D1 official, I'll probably hear something different.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA refs have been instructed to apply advantage/disadvantage to violations as well as fouls.

HOWEVER, in this sitch I would say call the violation. Letting it go gives the inbounding team an advantage - it lets them inbound the ball more quickly and thus possibly score. As to resetting the clock - lag time doesn't exist under FIBA so I wouldn't reset it. JMHO

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
"Does that apply to my crew at a D3 game without TV coverage? I don't know."

Chuck-

TV or no TV coverage The game is still being taped for the coaches to watch. I would call this everytime just for that reason along with the fact that it is a violation.

Even though the coach may not like the call at the time......... The play is on tape and they will be able to watch it and say..... " he was correct with the call" It just seams better called then left alone.

Just my oppinion. What did you do? Did you make the call or not?

Bobby Mo

[Edited by BOBBYMO on Dec 13th, 2004 at 04:52 PM]
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

My partner made the call, the clock ran to zero, and we put one second back up. I sided with the call, my other partner didn't like it.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
My partner made the call, the clock ran to zero, and we put one second back up. I sided with the call, my other partner didn't like it.

Chuck:

I think that you did the right thing. The higher the level of play, the better the play should be and the smarter the players should be.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If I ask another D1 official, I'll probably hear something different.
Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!