The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Do home uniforms have to be white? Our school colors are black and silver and we want to order a set of home uniforms that are light silver.

Our league has a lot of small schools with small budgets so uniform issues are often tolerated. We have never had a set of home uniforms and have never received a T - opponents have always been flexible and brought their home uni to our gym.

Despite the flexible attitude, I would like to have your thoughts before I order a new set.

Thanks.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bebanovich
Do home uniforms have to be white? Our school colors are black and silver and we want to order a set of home uniforms that are light silver.

Our league has a lot of small schools with small budgets so uniform issues are often tolerated. We have never had a set of home uniforms and have never received a T - opponents have always been flexible and brought their home uni to our gym.

Despite the flexible attitude, I would like to have your thoughts before I order a new set.

Thanks.
Unless you plan on buying them again in 2007 you are better off getting white. In 2007-8 home is required to wear white.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Thanks blindzebra,

I assume that the penalty would be a T to start the game? I'm trying to do a quick future cost benefit analysis. I would really like to reward this current group with what they want. They have made unbelievable progress in leadership, maturity and intensity and about 1/2 will by and keep their uniform anyway.

Any idea what the impetus is for the rule change? Were some teams going crazy with the home colors and making games difficult to call?

One other question . . . if we have silver uniforms this year do the kids who wear T-shirts need to wear a close grey match or would white be OK?
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks blindzebra,

I assume that the penalty would be a T to start the game? I'm trying to do a quick future cost benefit analysis. I would really like to reward this current group with what they want. They have made unbelievable progress in leadership, maturity and intensity and about 1/2 will by and keep their uniform anyway.

Any idea what the impetus is for the rule change? Were some teams going crazy with the home colors and making games difficult to call?

One other question . . . if we have silver uniforms this year do the kids who wear T-shirts need to wear a close grey match or would white be OK?
The switch is to keep from having games turn into that Illinois/Wisconsin nightmare.

Undershirts are supposed to match the uniform color, so I guess light grey could be close enough to silver.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

Coach,
Here is the exact text of the NFHS rule:

3-4-6
"...The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color from the base of the neck to the bottom of the team jersey. Undershirts shall be similar in color to the torso of the shirt and shall not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length.
NOTE:
The home team should wear light-colored uniforms and the visiting team dark. The team that violates this policy should change. If there is doubt, the officials should request the home team to change; on a neutral floor the officials decide. Beginning in 2007-08, the home team shall wear white jerseys and the visiting team, dark jerseys."

Since the undershirt is only required to be SIMILAR in color NOT the same color as the jersey, I would let your kids wear white or silver under a silver jersey.
However, you will not be able to wear the silver jersey for home games come the 2007-08 season. You must wear white.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Dec 9th, 2004 at 04:29 AM]
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 10:01am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:

The rule change came about from teams that were getting a little to liberal in what a 'light' color is. We have a school here that wears black on the road and red at home. Of course there is another school who wears red on the road and white at home. Not a good thing when both showed up last year in red for a game. The crew made the home team switch to their road black.

Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks blindzebra,

I assume that the penalty would be a T to start the game? I'm trying to do a quick future cost benefit analysis.
I think what you're asking is that if you decide to buy silver jerseys will it only cost you one T. I think the correct penalty is one T for every player that plays in the game. So, I think the proper penalty is 5 Ts to start the games (one for each starter) and another T for each subsitute once he/she becomes a player. Anyone disagree? I actually thought about the same thing bebanovich is asking here. If all it costs you is one T then why not buy any color you want and sacrifice the 2 points. Therefore, I think it's one T per player in the game.

These are team technicals too, right? So they would not be indirectly charged to the coach. If they are charged indirectly to the coach then he will have an ealry night every game that season.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

bebanovich,
save the money and buy white. 2007 is just around the corner.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

I will explain the rules to the kids and let them decide. Most of the guys want to buy their uniforms and keep them so I will only be fundraising to buy about 4 @ $32. We are poor, but I can live with this.

It seems to me that a first year art student could write a rule to solve the problem and save the expense for all the teams that have bought reasonably colored home jerseys. "Home jerseys must have a value/tone/hue (whatever the heck it is)of no more than x and road jerseys no less than y." It would allow some variety but allow a penalty for teams who have red home jerseys that are similar to another's red road jerseys. A simple grey card could be used to compare against if it became an issue.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I will explain the rules to the kids and let them decide. Most of the guys want to buy their uniforms and keep them so I will only be fundraising to buy about 4 @ $32. We are poor, but I can live with this.

It seems to me that a first year art student could write a rule to solve the problem and save the expense for all the teams that have bought reasonably colored home jerseys. "Home jerseys must have a value/tone/hue (whatever the heck it is)of no more than x and road jerseys no less than y." It would allow some variety but allow a penalty for teams who have red home jerseys that are similar to another's red road jerseys. A simple grey card could be used to compare against if it became an issue.
Actually, I think the solution should address both home AND road jerseys. But the rule stands as is, and we've got to live with it. I would think if you chose the lightest shade of silver available, and asked your local officials' association for an opinion, you might get away with silver.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Where does it state that?

Where in the rulebook does it suggest to give a T for this particular situation? Is there a casebook ruling somewhere? Is their an interpretation somewhere? I am not finding anything that makes this a T because the team does not have white when this rule comes into affect.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: Where does it state that?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Where in the rulebook does it suggest to give a T for this particular situation? Is there a casebook ruling somewhere? Is their an interpretation somewhere? I am not finding anything that makes this a T because the team does not have white when this rule comes into affect.

Peace
I agree. All I see is that it's a rule starting down the road.... no "remedies" yet for violation of it.

I don't know about other officials, but even if it was a technical foul, I can't see enforcing that for some of the small schools that have severe budget limitations. Heck, some schools don't even have 12 similar uniforms now.

Z
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Where does it state that?

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

I don't know about other officials, but even if it was a technical foul, I can't see enforcing that for some of the small schools that have severe budget limitations. Heck, some schools don't even have 12 similar uniforms now.

Z
I have already worked two games where some kids wore different shorts than then everyone else on the team. I am not penalizing a team with a T because of that.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 12:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Quote:
Thanks blindzebra,

I assume that the penalty would be a T to start the game? I'm trying to do a quick future cost benefit analysis.
I think what you're asking is that if you decide to buy silver jerseys will it only cost you one T. I think the correct penalty is one T for every player that plays in the game. So, I think the proper penalty is 5 Ts to start the games (one for each starter) and another T for each subsitute once he/she becomes a player. Anyone disagree? I actually thought about the same thing bebanovich is asking here. If all it costs you is one T then why not buy any color you want and sacrifice the 2 points. Therefore, I think it's one T per player in the game.

These are team technicals too, right? So they would not be indirectly charged to the coach. If they are charged indirectly to the coach then he will have an ealry night every game that season.
Based on what rule?
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 12:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Quote:
Thanks blindzebra,

Based on what rule?
NFHS rule 10-3-2- player wearing an illegal shirt. The silver shirts will be illegal in 2007. The stated penalty is "each violation is penalized one time if discovered prior to ball becoming live for each designated starter and each substitute who enters". The "T"s are charged directly to the players- indirect "T"s to the coach aren't applicable.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 10th, 2004 at 12:56 PM]