The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

This was in another thread but I thought it deserved it's own discussion.

What if......

Team A is inbounding the ball after basket is made by Team B. A1 and A2 are both OOB along the endline.

Suppose in this situation A1 passes to A2, who is still OOB, and A2 fumbles the ball and it rolls inbounds. Is this considered a pass inbounds or could A2 retrieve the ball, step back OOB and pass the ball inbounds to another player, as long as 5 seconds has not elapsed?

In another situation, if A2 did not catch the ball and it went beyond the sideline and went into the bench area or the stands, what now??
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
inbounds....

i would say that the ball is inbounds in your first situation. and that if A2 touches the ball, it's a violation, once the ball is "inbounds"

in situation 2 i would keep the count on unto the 5 seconds are up.

Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

In play 2 you don't keep up the 5 second count. As soon as it goes out of bounds untouched (into the stands or bench) Team A has violated and loses the ball.
Rule 9-2-2
Spot throw-in on the endline where A1 was.

Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
In play 2 you don't keep up the 5 second count. As soon as it goes out of bounds untouched (into the stands or bench) Team A has violated and loses the ball.
Rule 9-2-2
Spot throw-in on the endline where A1 was.

In sitch 2, the ball was never in-bounds, so how could it go OOB untouched? I dont' see any violation They've got 5 seconds to get that ball inbounds. Let them retrieve the ball and try to complete the throw-in from the endline.

In the first sitch, if he/she fumbles the ball and it bounces on the OOB side of the line first and then onto the court, it's a throw-in violation. Otherwise,if the fumble is directly onto the court, the ball is in play for anyone to grab, except of course the player who fumbled it
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray

In sitch 2, the ball was never in-bounds, so how could it go OOB untouched? I dont' see any violation They've got 5 seconds to get that ball inbounds. Let them retrieve the ball and try to complete the throw-in from the endline.
I know it sounds goofy, but read Rule 9-2-2
It describes this exactly (in my understanding).
Mark, I think you enjoy trying to proove me wrong
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray

In the first sitch, if he/she fumbles the ball and it bounces on the OOB side of the line first and then onto the court, it's a throw-in violation. Otherwise,if the fumble is directly onto the court, the ball is in play for anyone to grab, except of course the player who fumbled it
This one got me to thinking, too. Why would the fumble OOB be a violation on a non-spot throw-in? The thorwer(s)-in can dribble, pass back and forth, and even bounce pass to each other (within 5 seconds) so I'm not sure if that would be a violation. The Rule Book does not address throw-in fumbles exactly, so it is hard to back up any opinion one may have.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

would it matter if the player just did not have control of the ball? At the time she fumbled the ball she was not trying to throw it, she just could not handle the pass from A1 and the ball ended up on the court inbounds.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Tjlref, you make a good point here.
I think the answer can be determined by figuring out if a fumble, although the ball ends up inbounds, is indeed "legal." According to Rule 2 Art. 2, it specifically states the ball must be passed in. There is no footnote about a fumble that ends up inbounds is OK. So, the most likely way to be backed up by the Rule Book would be to say that all fumbles on throw-ins are violations (after the thrower-in has secured the ball and the referee has begun the 5 second count).

Generally, if the player muffs the ball when receiving it from the ref directly, or on the bounce, it will be readministered with no penalty.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think we need to distinguish between a throw-in and a pass between two OOB teammates. A throw-in can not be bounced by a player onto the OOB court area and then directly into the court, regardless of it being a spot throw-in or a non-spot throw-in.
Do we regard an OOB pass between teammates part of "the throw-in"? I probably stand to be corrected, because if the pass is a bad one and it sails into the stands...hmmmm

I'm beginning to feel like the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy asks him: "what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

[Edited by mdray on Dec 11th, 2004 at 07:01 PM]
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

What's worse....how lame is it, spending my Saturday night discussing inbounds fumble plays online?

You have a good point about the ball being bounced (fumbled) OOB before entering the court. Violation