The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Starting the 2nd half with one team (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16950-starting-2nd-half-one-team.html)

gostars Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:50am

I in the stands for a JH s tourney last night. Team A comes out to start the 2nd half. Team B is nowhere to be seen. They blow the horn and whistle several times, no team B. It was B's ball so the official set the ball down, and counted to five. Then he called a violation on B. Right after the violation, B ran on to the court. White was given the ball to inbound.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you wait two minutes and call a T on team B. If they did do it correctly, what would you do if team B had not come out? Also, wouldn't be easiest to just stick your head in the hallway and tell them it's time to go?

zebraman Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
I in the stands for a JH s tourney last night. Team A comes out to start the 2nd half. Team B is nowhere to be seen. They blow the horn and whistle several times, no team B. It was B's ball so the official set the ball down, and counted to five. Then he called a violation on B. Right after the violation, B ran on to the court. White was given the ball to inbound.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you wait two minutes and call a T on team B. If they did do it correctly, what would you do if team B had not come out? Also, wouldn't be easiest to just stick your head in the hallway and tell them it's time to go?

See Rule 7-5-1 but yes, it would be much easier to just go get the team.... especially at the Junior High level.

Z

johnnyrao Sat Dec 11, 2004 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

See Rule 7-5-1 but yes, it would be much easier to just go get the team.... especially at the Junior High level.

Z

Z,

According to 8-1-2, wouldn't you also give a team warning for this and, unlike this case, if the team failed to come back on the court during A's throw-in, then you could assess a T. I agree with you in the Jr High case that the best thing to do is to go get the team, but I am trying to clarify what would be correct in regards to the rule book. Thanks.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 12, 2004 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnnyrao

According to 8-1-2, wouldn't you also give a team warning for this and, unlike this case, if the team failed to come back on the court during A's throw-in, then you could assess a T. I agree with you in the Jr High case that the best thing to do is to go get the team, but I am trying to clarify what would be correct in regards to the rule book. Thanks.

If the team is "near" the court (e.g., in the huddle at the bench), but not ready to play, use the RPP.

If the team is still in the locker room, use 10-1-5a.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 12, 2004 05:44pm

Bob is correct. You don't use the RPP unless both teams are on the floor. The teams have 1 minute after halftime has ended to be on the floor. If either team is not there, it's a T.

My question would be did the referee make sure that someone notified team B of the halftime situation.

gostars Sun Dec 12, 2004 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
My question would be did the referee make sure that someone notified team B of the halftime situation.
Nope, no one even went to find them. They were in the hallway leading to the locker rooms and couldn't be more the 50ft away.

ChuckElias Sun Dec 12, 2004 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
If the team is "near" the court (e.g., in the huddle at the bench), but not ready to play, use the RPP.

What's the rule basis for this distinction, Bob? I'm not doubting you, I just don't remember ever hearing that 10-1-5a only applied to a team that was still in the locker room.

Jurassic Referee Sun Dec 12, 2004 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins

What's the rule basis for this distinction, Bob? I'm not doubting you, I just don't remember ever hearing that 10-1-5a only applied to a team that was still in the locker room.

See case book play 10.1.9COMMENT- <i>"The resumption-of-play procedure is in effect to start the second half unless either team is not on the court. In that case regular delay provisions are in force"</i>.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 14, 2004 03:08am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Nope, no one even went to find them. They were in the hallway leading to the locker rooms and couldn't be more the 50ft away.

Too bad. I would find it difficult justifying the 10-1-5 team technical foul since the referee failed to fulfill his duty.

2-4-4 The referee shall be responsible for having each team notified three minutes before each half is to begin.