The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Substitutions during Free Throws (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16923-substitutions-during-free-throws.html)

vawils Fri Dec 10, 2004 08:27am

Problem in last nights game between the clock keeper and a nasty coach of one team. What is the ruling on substitution for the free throw shooter during free throws. Several times the ball had already been put at the free throwers disposal and the coach would run a player to the scorer's table and then if the shot was made the clock keeper would buzz him in. Also some players were sent late for non-shooters. Doesn't the player have to be at the scorer's table before the ball is at the shooters disposal even if he is substituting for the shooter??. I didn't allow the substitution at one point saying he reported too late and the coach went crazy . Also sent a player back who just came on the court during time out without reporting. The clock keeper wasn't much help all game because he was just letting people in. I talked to the clock keeper and the coach about no player entering the court until beckoned. Things got a little better but the coach only marginal complied with my direction and was a fun one all night. I would appreciate clarification on this rule on substitution during free throws, so I can handle this better next time. Thanks.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 10, 2004 08:41am

SECTION 3 SUBSTITUTION
c. During multiple free-throw personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been converted.

EXCEPTION: When a player is required by rule to be replaced prior to administering the free throw(s), then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game.

Subs can only come in before the last shot. Only on a one and one can they come in before the first shot and after the one and one is made, they also can come in. A nice sturn talk with the table will correct this. I usually do a quick pregame with the table while I am checking the books.

Ref in PA Fri Dec 10, 2004 09:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by vawils
Doesn't the player have to be at the scorer's table before the ball is at the shooters disposal even if he is substituting for the shooter??.

No. Substitutes can come into the game on a stopped clock dead ball. A made foul shot makes the ball dead. If the substitute has reported properly, he/she should be allowed to enter the game. IREFU2 quoted the proper reference to the rule. Coaches can be irritating sending in substitutes piecemeal.

vawils Fri Dec 10, 2004 09:01am

I was mainly concerned about substitutions for the free throw shooter and when they have to report to the table. Maybe I wasn't clear. They were reporting after the ball was already handed to the shooter - is that ok?

Also another dumb question - no free throws ever for player control foul even in the bonus situation right?

Thanks..

Ref in PA Fri Dec 10, 2004 09:04am

Quote:

I was mainly concerned about substitutions for the free throw shooter and when they have to report to the table. Maybe I wasn't clear. They were reporting after the ball was already handed to the shooter - is that ok?

Yes.

Quote:

Also another dumb question - no free throws ever for player control foul even in the bonus situation right?

Thanks..

Correct.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 10, 2004 09:06am

As far as a sub for the shooter, after the made basket on the last shot, the sub may come in for the shooter. Of course if the shooter misses the basket, they have to wait for the next dead ball. No free throws on player control.

vawils Fri Dec 10, 2004 09:10am

ok thanks a lot this clears this up. apparently I didn't have it quite right but there were other issues with tht coach and clock keeper that I did correct and I will work harder to get this right next time, still learning. thanks this helps

rainmaker Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:31am

Quote:

ok thanks a lot this clears this up. apparently I didn't have it quite right but there were other issues with tht coach and clock keeper that I did correct and I will work harder to get this right next time, still learning. thanks this helps
Good attitude. Being teachable is the best way to move up quickly!

Adam Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:30pm

I had a game the other night where one coach sent a sub to the bench for every 2nd free throw so they could set up their press. The one time his players missed the shot, he retracted his sub.

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:52pm

Quote:

I talked to the clock keeper and the coach about no player entering the court until beckoned.
Start calling Ts and they'll stop.