The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 03:30am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Now that it's the holiday season, I thought you might enjoy this. I made up these 10 Commandments of Basketball Officiating for my association's newsletter.

10 Commandments of Basketball Officiating

In the beginning, there was only football and baseball. Then, the Naismith looked down upon the gymnasium floor and said, “Let there be peach baskets.” And there were peach baskets. And they were good.

1. thou shalt not embarrass thy partner

2. thou shalt not covet thy partner’s calling area

3. thou shalt carry an extra whistle

4. thou shalt not allow the abomination known as “overtime”

5. thou shalt not engage in conversation with the kingdom of people known as “spectators”, for they are unknowledgeable and unclean

6. thou shalt not engage in arguments with the kingdom of people known as “coaches”, for they are unknowledgeable and unholy, especially the dark one known by many names including the “Red Knight from Indiana”

7. thou shalt not utter the words “over the back” and “reach”, for they are an affront to Naismith

8. thou shalt not allow the children of Naismith to adorn themselves with gold and precious metals about their bodies during play

9. thou shalt not allow the children of Naismith to hang on the holy peach baskets unless they are protecting themselves from evil

10. thou shalt not eat bean burritos just prior to the holy ritual known as the “tip off”

Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

All great stuff. Now for the Bill of Rights part - The extra's - I will chip in two, and I am sure you will get many more.
1) No yelling "on the floor" when calling a foul.
2) No rule's clinic at captain's meeting.
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The most holy tip off will not be descrated by a violation, retoss, or held ball.
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

The most holy tip off will not be descrated by a violation, retoss, or held ball.

Yeah, right. Last night, for the fourth time this season, i had one of the jumpers catch the opening tip before the ball touched another player or the floor. The offending team, of course, lost both the ball and the AP arrow. Never had it before this season...

I also called one of my tosses back this year, too. Gah...
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken roberts View Post

Yeah, right. Last night, for the fourth time this season, i had one of the jumpers catch the opening tip before the ball touched another player or the floor. The offending team, of course, lost both the ball and the AP arrow. Never had it before this season...

I also called one of my tosses back this year, too. Gah...
The offending team should have lost the ball because of the violation of catching the jump ball, but the possession arrow should be pointed in their favor as soon as the ensuing throw in begins, because the initial violation determined who got first possession of the ball following the toss. (case book 6.4.1 sit C)
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 11:09pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
The offending team should have lost the ball because of the violation of catching the jump ball, but the possession arrow should be pointed in their favor as soon as the ensuing throw in begins, because the initial violation determined who got first possession of the ball following the toss. (case book 6.4.1 sit C)
I doubt ken will see your post given that he hasn't logged on in in 14 years. And for all you know the rule was different in 1999.

I know I linked to the post, but for viewing purposes only. It's bad internet etiquette to post on years-old threads.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

oops, my bad, I didn't even notice that it was such an old thread!
Closed Thread