The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Fast break, turn over, what ever the case may be, lead sprints down court, trail not so fast, kidding, trail get caught behind, or has a bad angle, lead on endline, A1 , pull up take a 3, trail not sure from angle, will the lead show 3, to help out? should he/her, shouldnt he/her, I like 2 bring up in pregame, whats your call?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Lead should help in transition on the 3. I'll usually mark the attempt, but I won't give the made 3 signal unless trail does not pick up my helping mark.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hardwdref
Fast break, turn over, what ever the case may be, lead sprints down court, trail not so fast, kidding, trail get caught behind, or has a bad angle, lead on endline, A1 , pull up take a 3, trail not sure from angle, will the lead show 3, to help out? should he/her, shouldnt he/her, I like 2 bring up in pregame, whats your call?
Two man mechanics, if you have a good look, signal to your p it is a 3 attempt. Allow him/her to signal if good, and from what I was taught, mimic your p in 2 man.

Three man, the L can signal 3 while in transition to help out, but it is ultimately his/her call to signal the made 3. The L should never signal a made 3. The L's responsibility on coverage lies inside the 3 point line.

Another topic, the L should never count in a closely guarded situation. T's responsibility!

[Edited by thumpferee on Dec 8th, 2004 at 05:16 AM]
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
The L should never signal a made 3.
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
I'll usually mark the attempt, but I won't give the made 3 signal unless trail does not pick up my helping mark.
Guys, 2-whistle or 3-whistle, if you signal the attempt, then you should also signal the successful goal.

Also in 2-whistle, the Lead does NOT mirror the Trail's touchdown signal, unless the Lead was the one who initially indicated the 3-point attempt.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

We've been told the opposite. If the L signals an attempt, he will not be the first to signal a make. Since he is following the shooter back to the floor (Assuming it is a shot from the corner) he will not see it go in. If the basket is good, the T will signal good and the L will mirror. We have also been told that the L will mirror in all cases even if the L does not signal an attempt. This is to confirm that you did not see a foot on the line and in case the scorer is only looking at one official.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
We've been told the opposite. If the L signals an attempt, he will not be the first to signal a make.
That's fine. I don't care if you put up the touchdown signal first or last. My point is, if you go up with one arm, then you also give the TD signal if it goes.

[/quote][/b]We have also been told that the L will mirror in all cases even if the L does not signal an attempt. [/B][/QUOTE]
This is simply incorrect. Whoever told you this is not teaching correct mechanics. Only the outside official(s) need to signal the successful goal, unless the Lead also signaled the attempt.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Lead will Echo

We are told in our 2-person mechanics manuals that the lead official will ALWAYS echo the three or even signal the initial attempt if in his zone. In our mechanics the lead official has free-throw line extended to the side line which still leaves 20 feet of three-point area that the lead must watch. And this is not incorrect.

The Lead will not however echo in three-person.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Cool Subtle difference

Perhaps we are saying the same thing.

However, let me restate. Per the NFHS mechanics manual LEAD DOES NOT ECHO anything. In 2-man mechanics, Lead has a portion of the 3-point line that is within his primary area. Lead should signal the attempt and the successful shot if it originates within his primary. The Trail should echo this successful try.

If the try orginates from the Trail's primary area, then the Trail signals the attempt and the successful try and the Lead does nothing. No echo.

Is there an echo in here? Hello, hello, hello???

Hello, hello, hello

There it is; I thought there was an echo!
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: Lead will Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
We are told in our 2-person mechanics manuals that the lead official will ALWAYS echo the three or even signal the initial attempt if in his zone.
Just so you recognize that this is not the NFHS mechanic. (It's not "wrong", just "different" -- different areas have different mechanics on a variety of situations).

Also, in NCAAW during a half-court offense, L will signal the attempt if the try is from L's primary. T will then mirror the attempt. T will indicate if the try is good, and C will mirror that. L will not indicate a successful goal
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Re: Re: Lead will Echo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
We are told in our 2-person mechanics manuals that the lead official will ALWAYS echo the three or even signal the initial attempt if in his zone.
Just so you recognize that this is not the NFHS mechanic. (It's not "wrong", just "different" -- different areas have different mechanics on a variety of situations).

I'm sorry, that was my point. It's not in NFHS, but some state associations have adopted their own mechanics.

Whoever said that they were told to echo may be right by their associations mechanics. Ours tells us to ALWAYS echo when in Lead and when you have two-whistles