The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Getting set to start the game. Sound the whistle, indicate directions, step in to toss the ball. Good toss, no whistle in mouth, non throwing hand stays low to gaurd, block, cover vital organs, players go up taps the ball and one of them comes down right on top of my shin and then foot. I look down and yes I had stepped in too far.
My standard practice is to toss and stand there until the ball and players move so that I don't back into a developing play.
This kid was 6'4" and at least 240 lbs. He doesn't go after the ball, just stands there with me asking if I was ok. Had to laugh alittle bit and advise him that Subway has low fat sandwiches. He is also laughing as he takes off.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Boy, can I relate to this.......

Scrimmage last weekend, opening tip I get drilled in the cheek with an elbow on the down swing. Lights did not go out for me but 30 seconds later on my first whistle I notice a pea in my Fox40! Cracked a crown and the piece goes into my whistle.

Game ends for me at halftime due to swelling and lightheaded feeling. Come to find out later at the hospital that I have a concussion, small fracture in the cheekbone, and about $500 dollars of dental work ahead of me. I think I would have preferred a kick to my 'vital organs'. Suffice to say I will let my partner handle the toss in the future.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robmoz
[B]Boy, can I relate to this.......

Scrimmage last weekend, opening tip I get drilled in the cheek with an elbow on the down swing. Lights did not go out for me but 30 seconds later on my first whistle I notice a pea in my Fox40! Cracked a crown and the piece goes into my whistle.

Robmoz, did you have your whistle in during the jump?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker

Robmoz, did you have your whistle in during the jump?
No, never on the toss. I do try to keep my mouth closed so as not to bite my tongue in the event I get hit...learned that painful lesson about 8 years ago.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I've been kicked in the jimmy's, I've been landed on, but the worst was in a men's league with a couple of older big guys jumping. Not much spring, so one guy needed to wind up to get to the toss. My arm is coming down and he catches me right on the funny bone.

I had a burning sensation in my middle thru pinkie fingers for THREE DAYS. It felt like I was getting stabbed in the arm anytime I had to mark a 3 point attempt.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 04:56pm
In Memoriam

Jump ball in a freaking JV game many years ago. Training a new guy that I brought in from our football officials- a guy that I thought was a friend. Wore glasses at that time- this was before the days of contacts. Throw up the opening jump and- jumper #1 gets me with an elbow right on the glasses, breaks the eyepiece and shoves the broken part into my eyebrow-- which spins me into jumper #2 who now gets me with an elbow right in the nose- which now sends me to the deck. I'm lying on the floor with blood pouring out of my nose and from above my eye, both teams are heading down court to play, and whereinthehell is my partner? He's sitting on the damn floor, pointing at me and laughing his head off hysterically. He was laughing so hard that he couldn't blow his whistle. Bottom line? I find my whistle and blow it....partner is still laughing and pointing at me.....head into the dressing room to get a bandage above my eye and some cotton batton in my nose...put on my spare glasses and do 32 minutes. After the game, I went to the hospital where the final tally was a nose broken in 2 places and 6 stitches above the eye. Grrrrrr......
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Been thinking about this and wanted your opinions. When I toss I seem to get hit every time by one of the jumpers during their upward motion and my downward motion. So, Instead of tossing the ball up, how bout tossing the ball up and away? HMMMMM Your thoughts?

Remember, I said it first, I have it in writing!
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Jump ball in a freaking JV game many years ago. Training a new guy that I brought in from our football officials- a guy that I thought was a friend. Wore glasses at that time- this was before the days of contacts. Throw up the opening jump and- jumper #1 gets me with an elbow right on the glasses, breaks the eyepiece and shoves the broken part into my eyebrow-- which spins me into jumper #2 who now gets me with an elbow right in the nose- which now sends me to the deck. I'm lying on the floor with blood pouring out of my nose and from above my eye, both teams are heading down court to play, and whereinthehell is my partner? He's sitting on the damn floor, pointing at me and laughing his head off hysterically. He was laughing so hard that he couldn't blow his whistle. Bottom line? I find my whistle and blow it....partner is still laughing and pointing at me.....head into the dressing room to get a bandage above my eye and some cotton batton in my nose...put on my spare glasses and do 32 minutes. After the game, I went to the hospital where the final tally was a nose broken in 2 places and 6 stitches above the eye. Grrrrrr......
Ya know I'm just dying to know who....... but lah me (whatever that means, LOL) don't tell me; I don't really want to know.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Been thinking about this and wanted your opinions. When I toss I seem to get hit every time by one of the jumpers during their upward motion and my downward motion. So, Instead of tossing the ball up, how bout tossing the ball up and away? HMMMMM Your thoughts?

It's very hard to control if you toss it away from you. The key is catching them off guard a bit with your toss, the times you are getting hit are probably them trying to time your toss or steal it.

I'll usually hit the whistle, step in and say, "One bounce and up," but I'm VERY deliberate in that bounce going into my toss. I'll usually get them rocking up anticipating the toss and I'll hold it an extra beat. It's step in...bounce.....toss.

I get hit a lot less, and my toss is better because I have my routine.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I've never been hit or even touched that I can remember, maybe you're getting to far in between the jumpers.

Wouldn't it be cool just 1 time to hit the whistle, fake the toss up and then throw the ball to the corner and watch em race for it?
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I have always done the whistle, bounce, toss. I tried the shot put method and I think they are anticipating it more and I seem to be getting hit more. Going back to the whistle, toss, bounce.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Curious!

I realized that I drop my arm after the toss and it usually catches one of the players during their upward motion, could that be the problem?

Do you leave arm up after toss, or drop it too?

It's only happened on a few occasions, but I may giving an advantage to the other jumper.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Thump,
I tried that the other day. Got kicked instead. Might of been the coordinational capabilities of the players. The only thing I recall was that I felt awkward leaving my arm up there. I seemed like it was obstruction for the jumpers.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was thinking that your toss would not be legal, but then I looked in the book. The ball must go "upward between the jumpers in a plane at right angles to the sidelines." Also, it must "be to a height greater than either of them can jump so that it will drop between them."

According to this the path of the toss is not required to be plumb. I guess the referee could stand outside the circle and toss the ball in a parabola within that plane which is perpendicular to the sidelines such that it drops between the jumpers.
Actually, the referee could even stand over on the sideline and toss if he could throw the ball accurately enough to have it drop between the two jumpers.

Who knew?

Another basketball oddity brought to you from Nevada.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

I was thinking that your toss would not be legal, but then I looked in the book. The ball must go "upward between the jumpers in a plane at right angles to the sidelines." Also, it must "be to a height greater than either of them can jump so that it will drop between them."

According to this the path of the toss is not required to be plumb. I guess the referee could stand outside the circle and toss the ball in a parabola within that plane which is perpendicular to the sidelines such that it drops between the jumpers.
Actually, the referee could even stand over on the sideline and toss if he could throw the ball accurately enough to have it drop between the two jumpers.

Who knew?

Another basketball oddity brought to you from Nevada.
That would be talent, might have a few tosses whistled back, but if you anyone can do this, have someone video it and post it here for all to see.