The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
Several years ago I was evaluating Mid American conference officials at Kent State University. The lead official called a player control foul against a Kent State player. He reports the foul and signals for the media timeout. Since there was no long switch this same official had to return to the baseline with the ball to administer the throwin following the TO. All during the TO he had to stand there and listen to the fans in the stands behind him who were letting him know they disliked the call. The teams returned to the floor and immediatly after the 2nd horn to end the TO the stands became deathly quiet and a lone fan stood up a shouted...

"If you don't know the difference between a block or charge then blow your whistle and raise your hand."

The official smiled, blew his whistle, raised his hand and administered the inbound. What else could he do?
Switch to women's mechanics reeeeeeeal fast.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
a lone fan stood up a shouted...

"If you don't know the difference between a block or charge then blow your whistle and raise your hand."
Are the fans getting smarter?

We can't let that happen.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Several years ago I was evaluating Mid American conference officials at Kent State University. The lead official called a player control foul against a Kent State player. He reports the foul and signals for the media timeout. Since there was no long switch this same official had to return to the baseline with the ball to administer the throwin following the TO. All during the TO he had to stand there and listen to the fans in the stands behind him who were letting him know they disliked the call. The teams returned to the floor and immediatly after the 2nd horn to end the TO the stands became deathly quiet and a lone fan stood up a shouted...

The official smiled, blew his whistle, raised his hand and administered the inbound. What else could he do?
That is really really funny. I just hope it doesn't get out to everyone because it's funnier when it happens to someone else.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Actually got a nice hand out of it, along with a nice floor burn on my forearm and a hole burned in the knee of my pleated sansabelts.
Jeez, Dan - no wonder why this happened. You weren't wearing belted slacks!
I shoulda been wearing black levis.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I would like a comeback response when a fan, player or coach makes a comment, "call it both ways!” The response can be humorous or whatever but I think more of short spoken sentences. Thanks.

Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 03:58pm
Suppref

Talking Calling it both ways

Turn to the left ant call it then turn to the right and call it.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
I would like a comeback response when a fan, player or coach makes a comment, "call it both ways!” The response can be humorous or whatever but I think more of short spoken sentences. Thanks.
The classic is to, when reporting to the table give the foul as:

"Blue 14 . . . 14 Blue"

Then, if you're really a smart-a$$, you can mention something to the coach about it.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784

Maybe you should listen to him and stop being a homer. :-)

What a stupid thing for a coach to say, I know it's better left ignored but last night I was working a game with an assignor and Coach A who is winning by 12 offers a "call it both ways" comment so I looked straight at him and said; "coach, you need to call it both ways". his silence for the rest of the game was very much appreciated.