The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Here is the situation. There is a freethrow violation by the defense before ball released, followed by a foul by the offense before the freethrow is made.
It is last shot and both teams are in the bonus.

What's the call?
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
If the lane violation was first, then it would be a lane violation.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by I love this game
Here is the situation. There is a freethrow violation by the defense before ball released, followed by a foul by the offense before the freethrow is made.

What's the call?
Delayed violation with 2 possible scenarios:
1) If the FT is made, you ignore the violation and count the point. Then penalize the personal foul on the offensive player. The player fouled gets 1/1 at the other end with players lined up on the lane and the ball in play if the FT is missed.
2) If the FT is missed, penalize the defensive violation first. Re-shoot the FT with the lanes empty. After the FT is shot, penalize the foul by the shooting team- same as in #1--i.e. 1/1 at the other end with players on the lane.

This is a classic false double foul.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What's the call?
Since the free throw is made ignore the violation. Count the point. (Assumes Continous Motion) Defensive team is now shooting double bonus or one and the bonus whichever applies. No time off the clock.

Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
This is a classic false double foul.
Oh, yes, classic. Absolutely classic!
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What's the call?
The correct answers have been given assuming the FT was in flight before the foul by A2.

If the foul by A2 occurred before the ball was in flight, the ball becomes dead immediately. Then, you'll shoot A1's throw with no one on the line, then follow JR's answers above.

Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Doesn't a foul by the offensive team cause the ball to become dead immediately? No basket? If that's the case;
1. no basket.
2. lane violation, re-shoot with a cleared lane)
3. enforce penalty for foul (shots or ball)
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

When the ball is in flight, the only way it becomes dead immediately is with an airborn shooter committing the foul. I assume the ball was already in flight. However, this brings up a good point that if the ball had not gone through the basket, there must have been two people in the lane prior to the ball getting to the rim. Now we have to determine if the defensive player came in first, thus causing us to ignore the offensive player entering the lane.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Doesn't a foul by the offensive team cause the ball to become dead immediately?
Not if the ball is already in the air on the FT. R6-7-7EXCEPTION2. Bob's answer above is correct if the foul occurred before the FT was in the air.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
When the ball is in flight, the only way it becomes dead immediately is with an airborn shooter committing the foul. I assume the ball was already in flight. However, this brings up a good point that if the ball had not gone through the basket, there must have been two people in the lane prior to the ball getting to the rim. Now we have to determine if the defensive player came in first, thus causing us to ignore the offensive player entering the lane.
You're kinda confusing me here as to the point you are trying to make. Why must there have been two people in the lane prior to the ball getting to the rim? The first post in this thread empahatically states that the first illegal act is a FT violation by the defense. There's no mention of any other violations occuring. Am I missing something?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I guess I am assuming the foul occured in the lane. If this is true, someone from the offense had to be in there to foul before the ball got to the rim (because the foul occured before the FT was made). I guess the ball could have been bouncing around on the rim, or the foul occured outside the lane somewhere.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
I guess I am assuming the foul occured in the lane. If this is true, someone from the offense had to be in there to foul before the ball got to the rim (because the foul occured before the FT was made). I guess the ball could have been bouncing around on the rim, or the foul occured outside the lane somewhere.
Or.....a player on the lane threw a 'bow into the opponent standing beside him. Not really that rare.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

For some reason, I was under the impression that a try, even if it was in the air, was stopped immediately if a foul is committed by an offensive teammate. ie, while the ball is in the air on a shot by A1, A2 pushes B2 for rebounding position. For some reason, I was thinking the shot wouldn't count.
I think I had it confused with continuous motion.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
For some reason, I was under the impression that a try, even if it was in the air, was stopped immediately if a foul is committed by an offensive teammate. ie, while the ball is in the air on a shot by A1, A2 pushes B2 for rebounding position. For some reason, I was thinking the shot wouldn't count.
I think I had it confused with continuous motion.

But continuous motion does apply to the discussion in this thread.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio