The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Should I of nailed him for this? During live action Team B has the ball. B1 is dribbling and starts to drive and he thinks he's fouled --but he wasn't. B1 then pulls back out beyond the 3-point arc and turns and looks at me "Come ref, didn't you not see that?!" Keep in mind this was an 8th grade game. To T or not to T that is the question?

T Jones
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Should I of nailed him for this? During live action Team B has the ball. B1 is dribbling and starts to drive and he thinks he's fouled --but he wasn't. B1 then pulls back out beyond the 3-point arc and turns and looks at me "Come ref, didn't you not see that?!" Keep in mind this was an 8th grade game. To T or not to T that is the question?

T Jones

As a Capo in the Youngstown Mafia: WHACK HIM!!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:52pm
M.A.S.H.

BTW: I did not do anything, just let play continue.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bamm!!!

Junior High game, T.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
You done good
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Yep. Teach the kids a lesson at an early age.

Years ago I was doing a freshman game and dinged a lippy kid in the first quarter. He continued to be a spoiled brat for most of the game, and with about 2 minutes to go in a close game, somebody on the other team sort of got frustrated and bounced the ball down hard on the ground, but caught it again. Lippy turned to me and lavishly started insisting I give a T by signaling with his hands. Therefore, I granted the kid's team a time-out which I knew they didn't have. 2 free throws for the other team and an unfortunate loss for Lippy. Lesson taught.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Pretty much

Quote:
I would let it continue also, but I would let him know the next opportunity that it would not continue or happen again.

Jr. High its pretty easy to let the kids know your point of view. Either that or I let the coach know so he can handle it, (but that's only if I know the coach will)

So I agree with your decision.

thanks
David
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

T Jones
Once or twice when players get like this I've said, "If you want to trade shirts, you can ref and I"ll play. But your coach will not be happy to have me!" Sometimes, it works.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

T Jones
Whack the little rat. That is a T every time, it's automatic.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

8th grade brat? Whack him. And when he says "What the hell was that for?" your partner should whack him again.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 10:24am
M.A.S.H.

Looking back I know I should of. Because a foul was called and he made some comment (I was giving the throws). And before I gave the ball to him I walked up to him and stopped signed him. It didn't happen again that's for sure. So I probably should have, but I did stop sign him during a dead ball and it didn't happen again.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

T Jones
If only he and I heard the comment I may have done what you did. Depends on circumsatances of the game etc. If he made a spectacle of himself Tee him.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Good point about only asking the coach to handle it if you know that they will. It has been my experience that a lot of coaches won't. As a recent example, I was doing a Jr High boys game a few weeks ago and after I called a foul on a certain player he looked at me and said "whatever" in a really snotty tone. I told him I didn't want to hear from him again. Few trips down the floor later, I whistled him for a travel. He again said whatever, and added "that was a crap call." I then issued him the T. Coach asked me what he said, I told him, he walked away. Coach removes the player from the game and tells him as he is sitting down, "I don't think you did anything wrong." Thanks coach.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by IowaMike
I told him I didn't want to hear from him again. Few trips down the floor later, I whistled him for a travel. He again said whatever, and added "that was a crap call." I then issued him the T. Coach asked me what he said, I told him, he walked away. Coach removes the player from the game and tells him as he is sitting down, "I don't think you did anything wrong." Thanks coach.
That T was definitely earned and that coach is a jerk. Next question: Can we T a coach for that kind of remark?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by IowaMike
I told him I didn't want to hear from him again. Few trips down the floor later, I whistled him for a travel. He again said whatever, and added "that was a crap call." I then issued him the T. Coach asked me what he said, I told him, he walked away. Coach removes the player from the game and tells him as he is sitting down, "I don't think you did anything wrong." Thanks coach.
That T was definitely earned and that coach is a jerk. Next question: Can we T a coach for that kind of remark?
I don't believe so, unfortunately. He was addressing his player and it wasn't a remark that would incite. It just proved him to be what he is.