The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Falling down with the ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16836-falling-down-ball.html)

IREFU2 Tue Dec 07, 2004 09:38am

Thank you for all of the corrections. It would be nice if there where a tab bit more patients in the posts. Some of use are not experts, just trying to get there. Just a thought.

rainmaker Tue Dec 07, 2004 09:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
ART. 5 . . . A player holding the ball:

a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

I was talking about this part when he/she lays back and the "any other part of the body" touches the floor. Maybe I am looking to far into it. I have seen this called every time it has happened. I am not trying to cause a debat or arguement, just want to get it right.

This refers to standing. If the player is sitting holding the ball, she's already got a part of the body other than the hand or foot touching. If she obtains control while sitting, and then lays back, it's not a travel, because the rule you cite above refers to a standing player.

mick Tue Dec 07, 2004 09:43am

Quote:

Thank you for all of the corrections. It would be nice if there where a tab bit more patients in the posts. Some of use are not experts, just trying to get there. Just a thought.
IREFU2,
For me, the rules that really stick in my mind are the ones where I get dog-piled by the Big Dawgs.
After that is over, I own that rule. ;)
mick

IREFU2 Tue Dec 07, 2004 09:46am

Darn, never thought of it like that! I guess this one sticks too! Thanks!!!

ChuckElias Tue Dec 07, 2004 03:34pm

Quote:

It would be nice if there where a tab bit more patients in the posts.
For more patients, you'll have to visit a hospital. :)

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 07, 2004 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

It would be nice if there where a tab bit more patients in the posts.
For more patients, you'll have to visit a hospital. :)

Or hang out here until the season ends. Sometimes it gets violent! :D

gostars Tue Dec 07, 2004 04:48pm

Thanks for the help.

What kind of mechanic would you use for this violation? Travel? Just point the other way?

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 07, 2004 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars

What kind of mechanic would you use for this violation? Travel? Just point the other way?

Yes. After the "stop clock" signal and before designating the OOB throw-in spot. Unless it's an NCAA game-then you can cut the signals in half.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 08, 2004 09:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by gostars

Yes. After the "stop clock" signal and before designating the OOB throw-in spot. Unless it's an NCAA game-then you can cut the signals in half.

You'd have the same signals in an NCAA game for this violation.