The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   tatoos (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16825-tatoos.html)

shont Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:11am

Had this happen during a v boys game. While the teams were warming up the vis. coach calls me over and asks if a player from the home team should have to cover a tatoo on their arm. I told him that our Activities Association (Ks) says it is up to each individual team and school to cover them up or not. Personally, I don't like a tatoo, but that is just my personal opinion. Anyway, is this the same for other states?

thank you

shont

firedoc Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:25am

In my county (Nassau, NY) I don't believe that we have a blanket policy against tatoos. However, Fed rules say that any OBJECTIONABLE tatoo must be covered. The problem, of course, is what constitutes "objectionable." Some things that might be in a tatoo would certainly be considered to be objectionable by everyone, but other things might not be. Good luck!

bob jenkins Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by firedoc
However, Fed rules say that any OBJECTIONABLE tatoo must be covered.
I thought that was taken out a few years ago?

rainmaker Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:56pm

... and just because I'm feeling puck-ish, I'll point out that 'tattoos' should be spelled with three 't's, not two.

TaTToos.

Furthermore, in case anyone cares, 'tabus' is spelled with one 'b' and a 'u' instead of an 'oo'. No clue why.

shont Mon Dec 06, 2004 01:16pm

I most certainly am sorry for the incorrect spelling. You would expect better from an edudator of our youth.

shont

rainmaker Mon Dec 06, 2004 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by shont
I most certainly am sorry for the incorrect spelling. You would expect better from an edudator of our youth.

shont

no need to apologize. On this board, I just chalk it up to bad typing. Which is always my excuse!

ChuckElias Mon Dec 06, 2004 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by shont
You would expect better from an edudator of our youth.
Nah, but I would expect more from an educator. :)

shont Mon Dec 06, 2004 03:21pm

I jus teaches phys ed.

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 06, 2004 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

Which is always my excuse!

What's your excuse for sentence fragments? ;)

brandan89 Mon Dec 06, 2004 09:53pm

Louisiana, it is up the the school, if they dont want the players tatoo showing they make them cover it up or they do not play. But we dont have to do anything about it.

PS2Man Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:16pm

Lebron James' tattos question.

Someone from Ohio correct me if I am wrong. Is it not true that in Ohio it was against the rules to have tattoos showing? Or was that just the school Lebron James went to?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:48pm

Re: Lebron James' tattos question.

Quote:

Originally posted by PS2Man
Someone from Ohio correct me if I am wrong. Is it not true that in Ohio it was against the rules to have tattoos showing? Or was that just the school Lebron James went to?

It was his school's decision.

MTD, Sr.

bebanovich Tue Dec 07, 2004 04:41am

This post may make me seem much younger than I really am but I would rather see a tattoo than a giant patch on a player. My opinion would definitely change if it were a tattoo that might insight some kind of melee like a giant XIV on someone's neck or something.

I have seen an official or 2 in our league with visible tats, but I always keep mine covered during games.

lrpalmer3 Tue Dec 07, 2004 08:48am

Visiting team last night had an American Flag patch on the back of their uniforms where names usually are. Is this legal?

I'm in Ohio.

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 07, 2004 09:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Visiting team last night had an American Flag patch on the back of their uniforms where names usually are. Is this legal?

I'm in Ohio.

Legal dependant on size and placement. It's specified exactly in rule 3 under "uniforms", if I remember right.