The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

WHILE PLAYING A GAME TWO OPPOSING PLAYERS GO FOR LOOSE BALL.ONE PLAYER TAPS BALL OVER OTHER PLAYERS HEAD THEN RUNNING INTO HIS FRONTCOURT FROM BACKCOURT HE PROCEEDS TO CATCH UP TO THE BALL AND DRIBBLE IT. IS THIS A PASS TO HIMSELF OR ANY TYPE OF VIOLATION? THANK YOU
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BUZZ1
WHILE PLAYING A GAME TWO OPPOSING PLAYERS GO FOR LOOSE BALL.ONE PLAYER TAPS BALL OVER OTHER PLAYERS HEAD THEN RUNNING INTO HIS FRONTCOURT FROM BACKCOURT HE PROCEEDS TO CATCH UP TO THE BALL AND DRIBBLE IT. IS THIS A PASS TO HIMSELF OR ANY TYPE OF VIOLATION? THANK YOU
First of all, please stop yelling (using all capital letters means that you are yelling). The tapped ball that you describe is not considered control so whether or not A1 caught the ball or waited for it to hit the floor, he/she could dribble it once they caught up to it.

Z
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 05:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by BUZZ1
First of all, please stop yelling (using all capital letters means that you are yelling). The tapped ball that you describe is not considered control so whether or not A1 caught the ball or waited for it to hit the floor, he/she could dribble it once they caught up to it.

Z

The question that zebraman forgot to ask was: Did Team A (the player who did the tapping) have team control of the ball in its frontcourt prior to its player tapping the ball?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

no , player could have gained control of the ball but tapped it over opposing player, into the front court to himself, which i understood to be a pass to ones self.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 03:48am
In Memoriam

The player batted or tapped a loose ball and then went and got it. He never did have player control until he started the dribble in the front court, so there goes any "self-pass" idea. Perfectly legal- no violation.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The player batted or tapped a loose ball and then went and got it. He never did have player control until he started the dribble in the front court, so there goes any "self-pass" idea. Perfectly legal- no violation.

JR:

I understand your answer, but do you think that BUZZ1 understood my question?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

JR:

MTD, Sr.
Don't think so, Mark. Just got a feeling that Buzz might be a player and not an official, and may not know what player and team control mean.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

JR:

MTD, Sr.
Don't think so, Mark. Just got a feeling that Buzz might be a player and not an official, and may not know what player and team control mean.

JR:

I don't think he understood my question either. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Travel/Illegal Dribble

I know that if you have player control and toss the ball over a defenders head, you must let it touch the ground or its a violation. However, for some reason I have a hard time remembering if its a travel or illegal dribble. I believe its a travel, but am having a hard time understanding why.

I believe the toss is considered to be the start of a dribble. Is the fact that he has caught the ball mean that he did not complete the start of the dribble and therefore it is a travel? In essence, he picked up his pivot foot before legally starting a dribble. Is the correct way to look at this?

If he allows the ball to hit the ground, then he can dribble but if he catches the ball after it hit the ground his dribble has ended. Any subsequent dribble would be a violation. Correct?

Thanks!
Randall

Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 06:07pm
In Memoriam

Re: Illegal Dribble

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I know that if you have player control and toss the ball over a defenders head, you must let it touch the ground or its a violation. However, for some reason I have a hard time remembering if its a travel or illegal dribble. I believe its a travel, but am having a hard time understanding why.

I believe the toss is considered to be the start of a dribble. Is the fact that he has caught the ball mean that he did not complete the start of the dribble and therefore it is a travel? In essence, he picked up his pivot foot before legally starting a dribble. Is the correct way to look at this?

If he allows the ball to hit the ground, then he can dribble but if he catches the ball after it hit the ground his dribble has ended. Any subsequent dribble would be a violation. Correct?

Tossing or tapping the ball over a defender's head is part of the dribble- whether it occurs at the start of a dribble with a toss or during a dribble with a tap. The violation is for touching the ball twice in the air during a single dribble. Check out case book play4.15.4SitD(a)- it may help you out