The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

When a team requests an excess time out, do you shoot the T before the time out, or when you come back from the time out?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure you shoot after the time out.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

This is the old "buying a timeout"

Gee, let them consume before you "charge them"
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:17pm
Administrator

Lets look at this question logically. Team A does not have any "free" timeouts left. Team A is entitled to request excess timeouts and Team A is entitled to have this request to be granted as long as it is requested when a Team A is entitled to have its request granted.

Team A requests and is granted its timeout. Let the timeout be used and then let Team B shoot its technical foul free throws using the resuming play protocol.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Lets look at this question logically. Team A does not have any "free" timeouts left. Team A is entitled to request excess timeouts and Team A is entitled to have this request to be granted as long as it is requested when a Team A is entitled to have its request granted.

Team A requests and is granted its timeout. Let the timeout be used and then let Team B shoot its technical foul free throws using the resuming play protocol.

MTD, Sr.
Resuming play protocol? This wouldn't have anything to do with Juulie's resuming play procedure, would it? Or do you just mean handle the T like normal (shots then B throw-in for Fed, shots then POI for NCAA)?
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:14am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Resuming play protocol? This wouldn't have anything to do with Juulie's resuming play procedure, would it? Or do you just mean handle the T like normal (shots then B throw-in for Fed, shots then POI for NCAA)?

If you look at the time of my post, you will see that it was late in the evening. I had officiated a girls' jr. H.S. DH in the morning, watched our sons swim in a swim meet in the afternoon, and then officiated a boys' H.S. game in the evening. I could not think of the work procedure, but protocol works just as well. The thing to remember is that "resuming play" is what important, not whether one uses the word procedure or protocol. I guess I am getting senile in my old age.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 5th, 2004 at 09:17 AM]
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

If you look at the time of my post, you will see that it was late in the evening. I had officiated a girls' jr. H.S. DH in the morning, watched our sons swim in a swim meet in the afternoon, and then officiated a boys' H.S. game in the evening. I could not think of the work procedure, but protocol works just as well. The thing to remember is that "resuming play" is what important, not whether one uses the word procedure or protocol. I guess I am getting senile in my old age.

MTD, Sr.

Sorry, Mark. Wasn't tryin' to get at you about terminology. Was just trying to understand your answer. By my understanding the RPP is about what to do if the team won't come out of the huddle. Your mention of it confused me (a remarkably easy thing to do) because it seemed to suggest that we should have rebounders along the lane, which of course we don't do when shooting a T.

But, bottom line, you're saying shoot after the TO.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Ask Chris Webber.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 06:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

MTD, Sr.

Sorry, Mark. Wasn't tryin' to get at you about terminology. Was just trying to understand your answer. By my understanding the RPP is about what to do if the team won't come out of the huddle. Your mention of it confused me (a remarkably easy thing to do) because it seemed to suggest that we should have rebounders along the lane, which of course we don't do when shooting a T.

But, bottom line, you're saying shoot after the TO.

After reading your post I have absolutely no idea why I brought up the RPP. My only excuse was that it had been a very long day. It is just logical to have the timeout first and then resume play after the timeout with the free throws for the technical foul.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio