The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I just did my first OBA sanctioned tournament of the year. It was with the new "major"-atom division, and they showed me a sheet from Ted Montgomery with our new instructions for the "Young Player Development" rules.

http://www.hamiltonboard.org/obapersontopersonrule.pdf

I can say right now that I don't like it. I think it's tough enough worrying about everything in the rulebook, now they're tacking on making sure that everyone is playing man to man.

But if anyone fully understands this I have a few questions.

A1 is still in the back-court, all 4 other A players are being legally guarded. B1 who is the only B player without a person is standing under the basket, is this legal or not??

A1 and A2 are in the back-court. A1 has the ball, and no one is guarding A1, A2 is being closely guarded by B2. B1 is in the 2 point area. Now I've got the coach of A screaming at me that if B's gonna press they have to put someone on the ball. Now I can't find that anywhere in those sheets, does anyone have a definite answer on that??

Thanks

On another note:

AAAA Girls OFSAA, Gold medal game, great job done by a great crew. One guy from Hamilton and one guy from K/W, kick ***.

Go KNIGHTS!!!
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I just did my first OBA sanctioned tournament of the year. It was with the new "major"-atom division, and they showed me a sheet from Ted Montgomery with our new instructions for the "Young Player Development" rules.

http://www.hamiltonboard.org/obapersontopersonrule.pdf

I can say right now that I don't like it. I think it's tough enough worrying about everything in the rulebook, now they're tacking on making sure that everyone is playing man to man.

A1 is still in the back-court, all 4 other A players are being legally guarded. B1 who is the only B player without a person is standing under the basket, is this legal or not??

A1 and A2 are in the back-court. A1 has the ball, and no one is guarding A1, A2 is being closely guarded by B2. B1 is in the 2 point area. Now I've got the coach of A screaming at me that if B's gonna press they have to put someone on the ball. Now I can't find that anywhere in those sheets, does anyone have a definite answer on that??

Thanks

On another note:

AAAA Girls OFSAA, Gold medal game, great job done by a great crew. One guy from Hamilton and one guy from K/W, kick ***.

Go KNIGHTS!!!

ref18:

I have not read the URL that you posted but tell Ted I said hello. I haven't been able to make the last two IAABO conferences so I haven't seen him in a year. He is a good man.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I've actually never met him, it was just his name on the letter
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

there's gotta be a ref somewhere in Ontario who has an opinion about this.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
there's gotta be a ref somewhere in Ontario who has an opinion about this.
There is. YOU!
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:12pm
cingram

Quote:

Check out case 3 on the link you provided (page 3)

The requirement to maintain a guarding position applies only inside the 3 point line in the front court.

Quote:

Thanks
Case 15 only states that B1 must guard A1 - so they cannot guard A2. If A1 has the ball in bounds and and B2 is guarding A2 keeping the ball from their point guard - I don't see a problem with that. They are covering the person they are assigned to.

Possibly contact your board interpreter and clarify but that's the way I see it.

Congrats Pat from KW
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
Quote:

Check out case 3 on the link you provided (page 3)

The requirement to maintain a guarding position applies only inside the 3 point line in the front court.

Quote:

Thanks
Case 15 only states that B1 must guard A1 - so they cannot guard A2. If A1 has the ball in bounds and and B2 is guarding A2 keeping the ball from their point guard - I don't see a problem with that. They are covering the person they are assigned to.

Possibly contact your board interpreter and clarify but that's the way I see it.

Congrats Pat from KW
That's the way I saw it, but the coach and my partner didn't see it the same way.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 11:52am
cingram

Quote:
That's the way I saw it, but the coach and my partner didn't see it the same way. [/B]
You could also get the Site Admin to make a decision (since you and your partner didn't agree).