The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   For those of us who ref in Ontario (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16797-those-us-who-ref-ontario.html)

ref18 Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:28pm

I just did my first OBA sanctioned tournament of the year. It was with the new "major"-atom division, and they showed me a sheet from Ted Montgomery with our new instructions for the "Young Player Development" rules.

http://www.hamiltonboard.org/obapersontopersonrule.pdf

I can say right now that I don't like it. I think it's tough enough worrying about everything in the rulebook, now they're tacking on making sure that everyone is playing man to man.

But if anyone fully understands this I have a few questions.

A1 is still in the back-court, all 4 other A players are being legally guarded. B1 who is the only B player without a person is standing under the basket, is this legal or not??

A1 and A2 are in the back-court. A1 has the ball, and no one is guarding A1, A2 is being closely guarded by B2. B1 is in the 2 point area. Now I've got the coach of A screaming at me that if B's gonna press they have to put someone on the ball. Now I can't find that anywhere in those sheets, does anyone have a definite answer on that??

Thanks

On another note:

AAAA Girls OFSAA, Gold medal game, great job done by a great crew. One guy from Hamilton and one guy from K/W, kick ***.

Go KNIGHTS!!!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
I just did my first OBA sanctioned tournament of the year. It was with the new "major"-atom division, and they showed me a sheet from Ted Montgomery with our new instructions for the "Young Player Development" rules.

http://www.hamiltonboard.org/obapersontopersonrule.pdf

I can say right now that I don't like it. I think it's tough enough worrying about everything in the rulebook, now they're tacking on making sure that everyone is playing man to man.

A1 is still in the back-court, all 4 other A players are being legally guarded. B1 who is the only B player without a person is standing under the basket, is this legal or not??

A1 and A2 are in the back-court. A1 has the ball, and no one is guarding A1, A2 is being closely guarded by B2. B1 is in the 2 point area. Now I've got the coach of A screaming at me that if B's gonna press they have to put someone on the ball. Now I can't find that anywhere in those sheets, does anyone have a definite answer on that??

Thanks

On another note:

AAAA Girls OFSAA, Gold medal game, great job done by a great crew. One guy from Hamilton and one guy from K/W, kick ***.

Go KNIGHTS!!!

ref18:

I have not read the URL that you posted but tell Ted I said hello. I haven't been able to make the last two IAABO conferences so I haven't seen him in a year. He is a good man.

MTD, Sr.

ref18 Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:47pm

I've actually never met him, it was just his name on the letter :D

ref18 Sun Dec 05, 2004 03:38pm

there's gotta be a ref somewhere in Ontario who has an opinion about this.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 05, 2004 04:22pm

Quote:

there's gotta be a ref somewhere in Ontario who has an opinion about this.
There is. YOU! ;)

cingram Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:12pm

Quote:

Check out case 3 on the link you provided (page 3)

The requirement to maintain a guarding position applies only inside the 3 point line in the front court.

Quote:

Thanks

Case 15 only states that B1 must guard A1 - so they cannot guard A2. If A1 has the ball in bounds and and B2 is guarding A2 keeping the ball from their point guard - I don't see a problem with that. They are covering the person they are assigned to.

Possibly contact your board interpreter and clarify but that's the way I see it.

Congrats Pat from KW

ref18 Sun Dec 05, 2004 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cingram
Quote:

Check out case 3 on the link you provided (page 3)

The requirement to maintain a guarding position applies only inside the 3 point line in the front court.

Quote:

Thanks

Case 15 only states that B1 must guard A1 - so they cannot guard A2. If A1 has the ball in bounds and and B2 is guarding A2 keeping the ball from their point guard - I don't see a problem with that. They are covering the person they are assigned to.

Possibly contact your board interpreter and clarify but that's the way I see it.

Congrats Pat from KW

That's the way I saw it, but the coach and my partner didn't see it the same way.

cingram Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:52am

Quote:

That's the way I saw it, but the coach and my partner didn't see it the same way. [/B]
You could also get the Site Admin to make a decision (since you and your partner didn't agree).