The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

A few days ago, we had a question on how to handle the situation where a team with only 5 players has one of them injured, or blood on the uniform.

At the time, I referenced a 2000 or 2001 interp, from memory.

I found the interp today -- it's from2002-2003, Situation 5: Team A is playing with five players, but has no remaining substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. RULING: The player must leave teh game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out. The team may continue with fewer than five players if there are no substitutes available. An injured / illplayer may return to the game after recovery.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Good memory. That makes good common sense too.

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Yes, and if that injured player was due to shoot FTs (maybe they were fouled hard in the act of shooting) and cannot attempt them, then the coach or team captain may select any of the remaining 4 players to shoot the FTs.

Reference is 8-2
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
But Bob, the situation in the other thread included the fact that the injured player's team had no TO's remaining. I think you said that the injured player could stay in even without a charged TO if there were no available subs.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
But Bob, the situation in the other thread included the fact that the injured player's team had no TO's remaining. I think you said that the injured player could stay in even without a charged TO if there were no available subs.
If that's what I said, then I was wrong. And to think I almost made it through the year without making a mistake.