The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I had a situation happened last night during a big boy's 5A varsity game. During stoppage of play for an injury I was conferring with the home coach on what caused the injury. During my conference with the coach the visiting coach, who's player was injured, became irate complaining we were holding a conference without him and holding up the game (as his player remained on the court getting medical attention) causing a delay. Whereas both coaches begin a heated confrontation with each other, chest-to-chest etc... I physically had to separate them as (6'3" 235lbs helped)they were on the verge of throwing blows at each oter. My question is; do you get involved in a fight between coaches, or should that be the facility administrators responsiblity? Has anyone had a similiar situation occur?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:35pm
Suppref

Talking Let 'em have at it...

If the coaches want to go at it let them. Just kidding. I never had coaches go chest to chest but, I would jump in (6'2'' 215, that helps) then let administrators take over. Boy, you have to wonder if the coaches are that competetive,(read big jackasses) what are they teaching the kids?!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't get between players fighting, why would I get between coaches. Let the AD handle it and boot them both.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Fighting or T?

Could they be ejected for fighting or to a lesser degree get double technicals for unsportsmanlink conduct?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Are you kidding? If two coaches ever went at it in one of my games, I would just sit down and pop a lemonaide until one of them was a bloody pulp. Then I'd laugh.

In fact, there's a few I hope actually would do this.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by winston robinson
I had a situation happened last night during a big boy's 5A varsity game. During stoppage of play for an injury I was conferring with the home coach on what caused the injury. During my conference with the coach the visiting coach, who's player was injured, became irate complaining we were holding a conference without him and holding up the game (as his player remained on the court getting medical attention) causing a delay. Whereas both coaches begin a heated confrontation with each other, chest-to-chest etc... I physically had to separate them as (6'3" 235lbs helped)they were on the verge of throwing blows at each oter. My question is; do you get involved in a fight between coaches, or should that be the facility administrators responsiblity? Has anyone had a similiar situation occur?
I had a game earlier this year where it almost came to this. The ball went OOB, so I went to the scorer's table, looked questioningly at the score book, took it to mid-court and called out both coaches.

"Coaches, this has nothing to do with the scorebook, but I want you to look at it as I point, and listen to me. I need both of you to stop yelling at each other and to start coaching your teams. Now, nod and go back to the bench."

I returned the book to the scorer's table and got the ball back in play ASAP. I didn't care if the coaches were back at the bench yet (as long as they didn't interfere with play).

Not another word.

I recognize you couldn't do all of that, since the injured palyer was still on the floor.

Oh -- if they continue, T 'em up. Twice, if needed.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

You hope the A.D. is close so he can step in between them.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

What if.....

the Hometeam Coach is the designated "Game Management".

Soph Boys

My partner and I had been whistling all the contact and neither team was getting the message. Both teams were in the double bonus early in the 2nd quarter.

At the end of the 1st half of this closely contested game (cross-town rivals), neither team had greater than a 4 point lead, coaches squared-up and verbally challenged each other to "get control of their team." The more aggressive of the two coaches was the hometeam coach who was the only school "representative" other than the custodian. Timer and Scorer were both students.

What do you do?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 12:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by winston robinson
I had a situation happened last night during a big boy's 5A varsity game. During stoppage of play for an injury I was conferring with the home coach on what caused the injury. During my conference with the coach the visiting coach, who's player was injured, became irate complaining we were holding a conference without him and holding up the game (as his player remained on the court getting medical attention) causing a delay.

Why were you talking to the home team coach?

Once you have stopped play for an injured player you and your partner(s) should get to a spot on the court where you can easily observe both benches and the ScorerTimer's Table but far enough away from everybody such that if somebody wants a piece of you that person is going to have to come to you. Stay away from everybody except your partners and discuss the player's injury only with them. Because any statements made to a coach no matter how innocent will always be used against you.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Which coach came out of their box?

keep smiling
SH
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 04:18am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
"Coaches, this has nothing to do with the scorebook, but I want you to look at it as I point, and listen to me. I need both of you to stop yelling at each other and to start coaching your teams. Now, nod and go back to the bench."
Great one Bob... I'm putting that in my back pocket - let's hope that I never have to use it!

Great game management!