The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bbgirl
as the high school season, comes along, I have been studying getting ready, and realized that I have become unsure on a few things... I hope everyone doesnt mind if I ask a few questions...

1. Rule 7-5 art 7, afer many discussions has become unclear. I would like another intepretation.

2. After administering free throws for "regular" fouls, do you clear the lane for a for a technical foul, do you clear the lane.

This question is to clear a bet with a relative..
2. Is a player control foul an example of an offensive foul?

3. If as in rule 7-6 art 1, if the throw in DOES NOT touch another player BEFORE going out of bounds, is it a violation or just a "delay in game?" and please specify the penalty?

4. Rule 8-1 art 3, so, the rule states, "IF the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific throw is unsuccessful..." confuses me. the ball is already dead, or is the rule referring to other violations, (PCF, or CF) and also the ball would already be dead if the shot was for a technical foul correct? I'm just all confused on that one..

So, please assist, it would be greatly appreciated

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by bbgirl
1. Rule 7-5 art 7, afer many discussions has become unclear. I would like another intepretation.

The rule is designed for the offense to not lose their advantage (of running the end line) due to a defensive foul or violation. If Team A has end-line-run-privileges and Team B commits a common foul or violation, Team A will continue to have end-line-run-privileges on the ensuing throw-in if the ensuing throw-in is once again from the endline.

2. After administering free throws for "regular" fouls, do you clear the lane for a for a technical foul, do you clear the lane.

ANY free throws that are not going to be rebounded (technical, intentional etc.) are administered with the lane cleared.

This question is to clear a bet with a relative..

Yep.

3. If as in rule 7-6 art 1, if the throw in DOES NOT touch another player BEFORE going out of bounds, is it a violation or just a "delay in game?" and please specify the penalty?

Violation. Team B gets the ball for a throw-in at the spot of where Team A's original throw-in was.

4. Rule 8-1 art 3, so, the rule states, "IF the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific throw is unsuccessful..." confuses me. the ball is already dead, or is the rule referring to other violations, (PCF, or CF) and also the ball would already be dead if the shot was for a technical foul correct? I'm just all confused on that one..

The ball is live once the free thrower has the ball. If it misses, it's live. If it's made, it becomes live once it's available for a throw-in to Team B.

However, on the case of intentional fouls and technical fouls, there is going to be a throw-in after the FT's so the ball will become dead once the free throw is made or missed.

Z

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Friendly advice...

So many questions in one thread can lead to confusion in the replies.

You may want to consider deleting this thread and offer a more SPECIFIC thread for each area you need assistance with.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

sorry, for the confusion.

AND MANY THANKS zebraman.... wonderfully explained....

I'm sure I will have more, but I will perform a search first..

thanks..
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's no such thing as an "offensive foul" in HS (FED)basketball.

Quote:
The ball is live, not dead, during the FT attempt. If there's no chance it will remain live (that is, if there's something else that will happen -- a throw-in because the foul was intentional, flagrant or a technical; it's the end of the period; there's another foul to administer, ...), then the lane is cleared.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

okay, I understand...

also, a charge is not an offensive foul? Or maybe a foul by an offender who has team control of the ball?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
There's no such thing as an "offensive foul" in HS (FED)basketball.

The teacher of our first yaer class, when asked this question, always says, "All fouls are offensive to right thinking people everywhere."

Cute.

Bbgirl -- In high school ball, when going by NFHS rules, a foul by a player on the team with control of the ball is the same as a foul by the defender, except for the Player Control foul. Same penalty, same counting into the foul count, same consideration for displacement, time and distance and so forth. College and pro rules treat these differently.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
okay, I understand...

also, a charge is not an offensive foul? Or maybe a foul by an offender who has team control of the ball?
Bob is correct in that there is no "official term" that says "offensive foul" but don't let his concern with semantics confuse you. A player control foul is on the offensive player who is in control of the ball so yes, that is always an "offensive foul."

A charge is usually a foul on the offense, but it could be on the defense too. Charging just means that you have pushed or moved into an opponents torso. When a defensive player or an offensive player without the ball charges, it is generally signaled as a "push" foul because there is no mechanic to signal a charge. When the offensive player with the ball charges, you would signal a player control foul.

Z
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
okay, I understand...

A charge is a specific type of foul. It can be committed by either the offense or the defense, although 99.99999% of the time it is called on the offense.

As to the second part of your question, I suggest you read the NF rule book as to the meanings of "team control" and "player control". It should all become clear to you then.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

okay, yes, thanks for clearing that up. My understanding was correct. The term was just different.

and yes, my understanding of player control and team control are accurate.

thanks
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
okay, I understand...

A charge is a foul that can committed by any player on the court. It is usually done by an offensive player with the ball, but the charging foul is basically running over someone. The signal for the Charge is the same as the signal for the Push.

A player control foul can only be commited by the player with control of the basket ball. An example of this could be a charge or some action with the non-dribbling arm, like a push or a hook.

HS and NCAA treat fouls by the offense slightly different and you would have to have someone else here explain the difference.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Charge?

Is there such a thing as a charge?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
okay, I understand...

A charge is a specific type of foul. It can be committed by either the offense or the defense, although 99.99999% of the time it is called on the offense.

As to the second part of your question, I suggest you read the NF rule book as to the meanings of "team control" and "player control". It should all become clear to you then.
Even though we refer to it as block/charge what you are calling is player control if A has the ball or is an airborne shooter, or a push if we call it on any other player offense or defense.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Charge?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
Is there such a thing as a charge?
Yes.

10-6-1: A player shall not: hold, push, CHARGE, trip; ...

Also, see signal 32 (as has been pointed out before in this thread)