The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Embarrasing moments? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16727-embarrasing-moments.html)

tjones1 Wed Dec 01, 2004 08:46pm

What's your most embarrasing moment officiating? Mine had to come last night, second qrt about 4 minutes left. My partner calls a foul and I'm giving the shots. I give the ball to the shooter and go to my spot. I start to wipe some of the sweat off my face and I look at my hand and see that my nose is bleeding somehow. Had to leave the game, go into the officials locker room and get cleaned up. Got that taken care of and went back onto the floor with about 1:30 remaining in the half. Lucky, I didn't get any on my shirt or pants. Either way it wasn't good, but I was able to finish the game without any more problems.

BBallfanatic Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:09pm

My most embarrassing moment happened last night (although it wasn't too embarrassing it was quite funny). During a girls JV contest a girl shot the ball and the ball game to rest on the metal flat part behind (and connected to) the rim. I didn't get stuck there... I just came to rest there. We called the jump ball and I thought i had enough vertical height to tap the ball... But as the old saying goes, "White men can't jump" haha. We ended up getting another ball and hitting it with that. Oh well :-)

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:09pm

In order to be embarrassed, you have to care what other people think about you.

Juulie can probably explain why I've never been embarrassed.

cford Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:40pm

I did something awhile back during an 8th or 9th grade girls game. We were getting ready to shoot two free throws, my mind was thinking about something that happened during the play and instead of saying "2 shots" I said "2 Balls" really loud :o. All the girls got a really good giggle out of that one. Now the only thing that comes out of my mouth is the number of free throws! :D

TravelinMan Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:03pm

cford, that sounds hilarious!

For me, probably the time (my first year) I drove 50 miles to a game and discovered when I got there I had left my bag in my other car (I had switched cars because my gas was low). No time to go back. Luckily for me my partner had 2 of everything with him and it all fit! school of hard knocks but never did that again.......

ChrisSportsFan Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:59pm

about 2 years ago, trying to run and look over my shoulder in transition, felt my heels click together and thought uht-o, next thing I knew my feet were over my head and I had floor burn. It's not my favorite referee story to tell.

ref18 Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:15pm

I haven't yet done anything that embarassing while officiating a basketball game, but I do have a story from a football game I did.

The equivilant of a varsity game, I'm the Head Linesman. Ball scrimmaged from about Team B's 7 yard line. I see a fake hand off to a guy moving down the centre of the field, so I move in from the sidelines to cover this guy crossing the goal line. As soon as he crosses it but before I blow my whistle I notice that he doesn't have the ball. At this time I decide to take a look around to figure out where the ball is. I look to my left and see the player with the ball and the defender on him coming right towards me. I guess I was like a dear in the headlights, and I didn't move until they knocked me down. On the bright side, I covered the play and signalled a touchdown while flat on my a$$. Our AGM is this Friday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some sort of gag award for that one.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:29pm

My most embarrassing momement came in a soccer game I was about to officiate. It happened during my first year of officiating H.S. soccer.

The game was being played in the last week of the regular season (middle of October, but the weather at game time was at freezing already and there were snowflakes in the air. It was a boys' game and I did not know that the home team had a girl on the team. Everybody was wearing cold weather clothes and stocking caps.

I was doing my pregame inspection of cleats and the such, when I made the statement that I hoped that everybody was wearing fur lined cups. At that point a female voice in the middle of the line up said: "I don't know about the rest of the team but mine are fur lined." She said this while cupping her chest. At that point everybody started laughing.

MTD, Sr.

cloverdale Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:48pm

no whistle

my first year...toward the end of the season at a larger school with LOTS of spectators in attendence...good close game that was fast paced and close throughout the game...final minutes and these kids were running me ragged, cotton mouth and sweating profusely...ball goes OOB, table side,inbound ball and we have a reach right in front of home team bench...up goes the fist and I blow hard with no whistle in my mouth...everyone hears the blow,coach yells for the foul...by the time I can find my whistle they had shot the ball, the home team gets the rebound and is coming the other way...coach yells no foul..no foul...I let it go and we go on...afterwards both coachs come up and we have a good laugh...

tmp44 Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:27am

BLOCK!!!

I'm sure this something that someone else has done, but it's still my most embarrassing moment. JV game last year, at my alma mater no less (and of course I'm only 21 now), breakaway and a kid from my old high school attempts to take a charge, but clearly didn't get there in time. I come out strong since it's bang-bang and go "BLOCK, BLOCK!!"....with my hand behind my head for player-control!! I look at my partner who starts laughing so hard I almost lost it....as were both coaches when I went to the table....except they weren't laughing, they just both lost it.

cford Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I was doing my pregame inspection of cleats and the such, when I made the statement that I hoped that everybody was wearing fur lined cups. At that point a female voice in the middle of the line up said: "I don't know about the rest of the team but mine are fur lined." She said this while cupping her chest. At that point everybody started laughing.

MTD, Sr.

That's priceless! Thanks for cracking me up! :D

rainmaker Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:39am

Re: no whistle

Quote:

Originally posted by cloverdale
..up goes the fist and I blow hard with no whistle in my mouth...everyone hears the blow,coach yells for the foul...by the time I can find my whistle they had shot the ball, the home team gets the rebound and is coming the other way....
I had a dream like that once...

rainmaker Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:42am

My most embarrassing moment was in my last game at a camp I attended a couple or three years ago. I was in way over my head, and both my body and my mind were exhausted. It was late in the day and I'd had two or three games before this. Ball went out over my line. I blew the whistle, pointed the direction and yelled, "RED!!!" Trouble was, the teams were BLUE and WHITE.

Okay, that wasn't the worst most embarrassing moment, but I refuse to tell the others in public.

blindzebra Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:55am

I was doing a girl's 8th grade game a long time ago, and we were about to start the 2nd quarter with blue ball. I go to administer the throw in and point to the spot and said, "Blue ball here." Sitting at the division line were two teenage boys, with a couple of moms a row or two behind them.

The moms lost it, they were laughing so hard, and these two kids were sitting there clueless.

I felt so bad for them that at half time I explained it to them. They actually left the gym during the the break.:D

blindzebra Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:59am

I had a small school double header one night girls followed by the boys.

First trip to the free throw line in the boys game and I said, "Two shots ladies, hold your spots."

zebraman Thu Dec 02, 2004 01:31am

My most embarrassing moment would be forgetting the number of the fouler when reporting and then having to go back and figure it out.

Another guy in our association bent over to tie his shoe once during a time-out. He set the ball down on the floor and when he did, a kid ran out of the stands and took it and ran out of the gym. They never got the ball back. At our end-of-season party, someone presented him with a little "net bag" he could hang on his belt for him to stick the ball in next time he has to tie his shoe during a time-out.

Z

mxd Thu Dec 02, 2004 01:33am

I almost lost a tooth signaling a travel. Helps to spit out the whistle first.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 02, 2004 06:32am

Final regular season game last season: GV game White and Blue are the colors.
Last season was the first one in which the non-calling official notified the coach of a disqualified player.
With less than a minute remaining in the game, my partner calls a foul on a player from WHITE. It is her 5th. He tells me to "let HIM know that's five." Now I wasn't watching his area and had no idea who fouled. Also the point spread had expanded to 8 after being very close all night so I had mostly turned off my brain. Add to that the fact that the coach of Blue is male and White's coach is a female.
Naturally, I head over to BLUE's coach and let HIM know that is five fouls. He says ok and proceeds to take a knee in front of his bench, so I go to the table and tell them to start the 30 seconds. Now the fun starts.

White sends a replacement to the table while I am standing right there. I ask her to wait. Why? I'm thinking that it will be easier to wait until the DQ'd player is replaced BY BLUE and then just get all the subs in at once. So here I am standing in front of the table for an entire 30 seconds with the substitute sitting on the floor right there behind me. The coach of Blue is totally ignoring me and the coach of white is completely exasperated that I won't let her sub in.
It almost got even worse, but I pulled my head out of my *ss just in time. As the 30 second horn went off, I started over to the Blue bench, fully ready to T the head coach of BLUE for failing to replace the DQ'd player in 30 second when I saw BLUE lined up to shoot FTs. I then realized that WHITE fouled out and should be substituting!
I wheeled around and quickly beckoned the sub in.
Those last few seconds just couldn't go by fast enough. I was never so happy to run off the court after a game.
Oh, this game was on our local cable network and I heard about it for weeks from others in the association.

LarryS Thu Dec 02, 2004 08:45am

Mine was two years ago...Girls JV-Varsity double header. During the JV game both my partner and I had warned the cheerleaders to step back. In their defense, there wasn't a lot of room. About midway through the third quarter I streaking...ok, running...down the court looking back at the dribbler and defender who are gaining fast. Out of the corner of my eye I notice some movement...but not soon enough. WHAM...I broadside this little cheerleader, who then falls into her squad. Somewho I keep from falling but there are three girls in a heep on the sideline.

You know...come to think about it...we didn't have to warn the varsity cheerleaders.

jritchie Thu Dec 02, 2004 08:50am

about 8 years ago, my first varsity game ever!!! had my assignor in the building and of course i was as nervous as i could be...packed house for a district game and i was the referee, so i took the ball out to get ready to toss it...REACHED DOWN TO GET MY WHISTLE, AND ALL I FELT WAS MY HEART IN MY THROAT....FORGOT THE WHISTLE IN THE LOCKER ROOM.. needless to say, if i wasn't loose then i got loose running to the locker room and getting a whistle and running back... So embarassing... never heard the end of it.. i heard comments all night long about i should of left it in the locker room,etc. I'VE NEVER FORGOT IT AGAIN, AND THE EXTRA IN THE POCKET EITHER.. :)

David M Thu Dec 02, 2004 09:52am

Packed my bag morning of game, still half asleep. When I start changing for the game I realize I have two left shoes. Luckily it was a middle school game (not very fast)but my right foot was hurting big time for a few days.

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:01am

Was working the plate at a boys baseball game. Somewhere during the second inning I start to feel a breeze where I shouldn't be feeling a breeze. Soon the folks in the stands behind me are chuckling. Still had five innings to go. That day I learned the value of wearing same-colored shorts under your pants, just in case you have a blow out.

tjones1 Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
My most embarrassing moment would be forgetting the number of the fouler when reporting and then having to go back and figure it out.

Another guy in our association bent over to tie his shoe once during a time-out. He set the ball down on the floor and when he did, a kid ran out of the stands and took it and ran out of the gym. They never got the ball back. At our end-of-season party, someone presented him with a little "net bag" he could hang on his belt for him to stick the ball in next time he has to tie his shoe during a time-out.

Z

That's just too funny! :)

Dudly Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:39am

I was told once to bounce the ball to the shooter with "authority"...Only did this a few times. Bounced it to the guy, he wasn't paying attention and neither was I, hit him right in the jimmies. Doubled him over. Now I make sure the shooter is ready and don't put so much "authority" on the ball.

blindzebra Thu Dec 02, 2004 01:13pm

This one is not mine but a partner's.

Go out for captain's meeting girls varsity and my partner is the R.

He forgot to do a fly-check. I notice and try to get eye contact and then start rolling my eyes down and nodding my head toward his crotch, he did not pick up on it and conducted the meeting.

After the captains left he asked, "What was that all about?" I said, "Check your barn door big fella."

Uniform inspection became a major part of pregame after that night.

tjones1 Thu Dec 02, 2004 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra

He forgot to do a fly-check. I notice and try to get eye contact and then start rolling my eyes down and nodding my head toward his crotch, he did not pick up on it and conducted the meeting.

After the captains left he asked, "What was that all about?" I said, "Check your barn door big fella."

Ummmm yeah, actually I've had this happen to one of my partners. Basically went the same way, I was trying to tell him with my eyes and he thought he left something out of his pre-game. So when he was finished talking he pointed to me and said "Tanner, you got anything to add?" (with kind of a puzzled look on his face). And I said no, good luck ladies! Once the girls departed back to their warm ups he came to me and said what the hell was that all about. "You might want to close the barn door." We got a good laugh out of it at half time.

thumpferee Thu Dec 02, 2004 01:49pm

Got one for ya!

My son is playing soccer, 10 yrs old, rainy night under the lights, all parents standing around near the sidelines. I am just watching as a Father behind the goal, when the whistle blows to end the half. The ball gets kicked toward the goal I am standing behind. All kids run off to their sideline while the ball comes to a stop about 1/4 of the way toward the goal I am at. Well, me trying to help out by getting the ball back to the official, instead of picking the ball up and throwing it back, (which I will do in the future)try to kick the ball back to the official. (I am NOT a soccer player!) Well, you guessed it, I fell flat on my back! Was even funny to me!

DJ Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:01pm

Zipper...

Had a little problem with my zipper on my pants one time so everyone had a good chuckle at my expense.

cingram Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:06pm

Last year Sr. Girls (varsity girls) Regional playoffs first round (CWOSSAA AAAA Girls for those Canadian refs). After breaking the press a post player has the ball just past half and is standing there dribbling - there is no real pressure on her but she is carrying the ball. I let her get away with a few then blow my whistle to call it - of course at that time she had picked it up.

Coach - "I thought you were going to call the carry there"
Me - "So did I but she picked it up before I could"

My evaluator asked me "How many shades of red is an inadvertent whistle?" - I think the answer is 8.

zebraman Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cingram
Last year Sr. Girls (varsity girls) Regional playoffs first round (CWOSSAA AAAA Girls for those Canadian refs). After breaking the press a post player has the ball just past half and is standing there dribbling - there is no real pressure on her but she is carrying the ball. I let her get away with a few then blow my whistle to call it - of course at that time she had picked it up.

Coach - "I thought you were going to call the carry there"
Me - "So did I but she picked it up before I could"

My evaluator asked me "How many shades of red is an inadvertent whistle?" - I think the answer is 8.

Why didn't you just stick with your call? Nothing wrong with a slow whistle (in fact, there is a lot right with it).

Z

rainmaker Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

Ummmm yeah, actually I've had this happen to one of my partners. Basically went the same way, I was trying to tell him with my eyes and he thought he left something out of his pre-game. So when he was finished talking he pointed to me and said "Tanner, you got anything to add?" (with kind of a puzzled look on his face). And I said no, good luck ladies! Once the girls departed back to their warm ups he came to me and said what the hell was that all about. "You might want to close the barn door." We got a good laugh out of it at half time.

I watched a game where one of the (male) refs had a zipper break. The really bad part was that one corner of the bottom of his shirt had worked its way around, and was sticking about two inches straight out from the... uh... zipper area. I still can't figure out why he didn't notice out of the corner of his eye. He left it like that about 3 minutes.

DJ Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:34pm

That sounds about right...

Three minutes is about the right time for it to disappear after making an appearance. My humble opinion!

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:46pm

Had one of the varisty guys tell me this last night. They often send the new varsity guys to the more rural schools to get some experience and get evaluated. The evaluator was famous for showing up wearing his farmer clothes and sitting in with the students. You'd never know he was there unless you were looking for him.

This official grants a time out request, and the player tosses the ball to him. He, in turn, tosses it behind him and trots off to report. When he comes back, the ball is gone. He's looking all around, shooting help me glances to his partner, and generally starting to panic. Then he sees the evaluator in the stands. With the ball.

Dan_ref Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

I watched a game where one of the (male) refs had a zipper break. The really bad part was that one corner of the bottom of his shirt had worked its way around, and was sticking about two inches straight out from the... uh... zipper area. I still can't figure out why he didn't notice out of the corner of his eye. He left it like that about 3 minutes.

Maybe he's used to something more....errrr....substantial making an appearance through that particular portal.

Or maybe he's not & kinda enjoyed living life as "Mr Big" for those few moments.

ChrisSportsFan Thu Dec 02, 2004 03:33pm

nothing worse than when you're looking at the table to report a foul and a player innocently bounce passes you the ball. You never see it coming or if you do you're thinking it'll surely hit you in the leg or stomach, but no...it hits you right in the twins, squarely, it hurts and you gotta play it off in front of a full gym.

TXMATTHEW05 Thu Dec 02, 2004 09:18pm

Break...

Mine was last year.

Second to last game of the summer season (recreational league). Right after tipoff, I'm trail. There's a quick change of possession about 10 feet from me, so I begin to backpeddle (I know, I know).

I feel my heel hit a player's foot....and I knew that was all she wrote. I feel backwards, caught myself...but broke my wrist doing so! The next week I had a big cast on my arm!

Aye yi yi....oh well, the parents got a kick out of it. Of course, by the way, it was my right and....and I'm right handed.

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 02, 2004 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
you're thinking it'll surely hit you in the leg or stomach, but no...it hits you right in the twins,
Juulie - did this ever happen to you? :p

refnrev Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:42pm

Mine was my first game last year. I was wearing my black jacket (a windbreaker with the state symbol and my name on it) while the teams were warming up. I had been to the bathroom just before going out on the court. At one minute left on the clock, my partner and I took off our jackets. I had zipped up the tie string in my pants. Had to unzip and pull out the string in front of everyone. Looked at my partner and said, "Oh well, the season has to get better from here." The fans had fun with that one.

QuebecRef87 Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
you're thinking it'll surely hit you in the leg or stomach, but no...it hits you right in the twins,
Juulie - did this ever happen to you? :p

I'm new to this forum and it's been a few times I see Mark Padgett talk about this Juulie... Can someone tell me who the heck is she??

rainmaker Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Wise Weasel
I'm new to this forum and it's been a few times I see Mark Padgett talk about this Juulie... Can someone tell me who the heck is she??
Weasel, you're new here so I won't punish you for setting me up for this particular fall. But please, don't do it to me again!

Juulie is the rainmaker. Been reffing in Portland Oregon about 6 years, just breaking into varsity. I've worked rec leagues with Padgett, am in an assocaition with Camron Rust, Tim Taylor, icallfouls, and probably a couple of others that post here occasionally. I've been evalled at camp by rockyroad. And I seem to get a fair number of hits here from Chuck, Dan and Woody, although I put up with it, cuz I get in the odd slap back every now and again.

Now, how's about you return the favor, and tell us a little about yoruself?

Dan_ref Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:35pm

Here's a recent picture.

http://amigraphe.com/Wallpaper/Anime-4-800.jpg

rainmaker Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Here's a recent picture.

I can tell you for sure, that didn't come out of a video about me! Rocky is feeding you guys a very large truckload of stink!

Dan_ref Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:12am

Quote:

Quote:

Here's a recent picture.

I can tell you for sure, that didn't come out of a video about me! Rocky is feeding you guys a very large truckload of stink!

Rocky??!

Nah.

I paypal'ed "the other Mark" $5 for this picture of you.

scottk_61 Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:32am

My worst moment was a few years ago,
We were working two whistle, I was the lead as we transitioned on a rebound.
I took off hard as I could go to beat a very good fast break.
As I got to the end of the court, the offensive team shot the ball into the corner far side of the court.
I was making a button hook over to get closer to the play and stepped on a piece of candy that had been thrown on the floor by some little kids.
I have seen the video of the game and you can actually hear my head hit the floor after my feet slid out from under me and I flipped.
Slid into the end wall and craked a bone in my ankle.

I was ok with all of this until I woke up on a stretcher on the way out.

Whenever I visit people in that area, I regularly hear, "Hey, aren't you that ref that........"
Yup, its still funny now.

QuebecRef87 Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:04pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Wise Weasel
Weasel, you're new here so I won't punish you for setting me up for this particular fall. But please, don't do it to me again!

[...]

Now, how's about you return the favor, and tell us a little about yoruself?

Yeah, who the heck am I, right? :D

Well, first of all, I won't do it again. Promised! ;)

I officiate in Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada and surroundings. It's my first season as a basketball official (and I really enjoy it!) but I've been scorekeeper for 2 years during High School (I'm in my first year of College). I've also been a soccer referee during the summer for 5 years now (and growing!). Well, that's all for my officiating history!

I won't make you get mad again, Juulie! ;)

tharbert Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:11pm

Quote:

Here's a recent picture.

This can't be Juulie! I'm certain she doesn't smoke!

bob jenkins Fri Dec 03, 2004 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tharbert
This can't be Juulie! I'm certain she doesn't smoke!
She had a cigar in her mouth? I hadn't noticed.

tjones1 Sat Dec 04, 2004 03:19pm

I didn't have to work last night. So I traveled to a game that I thought was going to be a real barn burner (and it was!). Anyways, I saw one of these embarrasing moments on the behalf of an official. White makes a basket and it goes through...as it came out red grabs the ball and starts to head OOB on the baseline. While he's doing that he bumbs into a team mate who grabs the ball and they move together. Well the new trail blows his whistle and calls a travel. Luckly the C came in and they got it right and he was laughing for a short moment before things got going again.