The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have noticed that the C and T seem to switch positions, not crossing the court, just in their movements along the sideline as the ball is on their side. That is perfectly logical. I presume they become either L or C depending on where they are when the ball changes possession?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
I have noticed that the C and T seem to switch positions, not crossing the court, just in their movements along the sideline as the ball is on their side. That is perfectly logical. I presume they become either L or C depending on where they are when the ball changes possession?
Yep. Their movement is triggered by the L. If the L moves over, the C and T shift up/down. The L usually moves over when the ball drops below the FT line on the opposite side. It's called a rotation. If you view it from above, the triangle the 3 officials form rotates.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

C and T switch in the half court based on L's rotation. The location of the ball does not determine whether or not L rotates it is one factor in deciding if and when to rotate. In other words just because the ball is on C's side of the floor does not mean that C become T.

You are correct about the last part of your post. They either become new L or remain C in transition based on what position they are in when the ball tranisitions the other way.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dewey1
The location of the ball does not determine whether or not L rotates it is one factor in deciding if and when to rotate.

Dewey, what besides the ball location would determine a flex (rotation)? I was always taught, as lead, to flex when the ball settles on the opposite side of the lane. Rule of thumb, if you are looking across the lane, get your butt across it. What else would trigger a flex? I'm not disputing, just asking for my information.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 04:22pm
Esteemed Participant

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Junker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
The location of the ball does not determine whether or not L rotates it is one factor in deciding if and when to rotate.

Dewey, what besides the ball location would determine a flex (rotation)? I was always taught, as lead, to flex when the ball settles on the opposite side of the lane. Rule of thumb, if you are looking across the lane, get your butt across it. What else would trigger a flex? I'm not disputing, just asking for my information.
Where the post players are at...where the other players are at...example: if I'm lead, and there are 8 players on the far side of the key and the ball is still up in the high corner (half-court line area) I'm going across - that's probably where the play is going to be...or, the post players set up on the opposite side, and the last 5 times they point guard has called "Duke! Duke!" they have rotated the ball and dumped it into the post, I am going across right now, not when the ball drops in there...just a couple of examples.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 05:03pm
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
what besides the ball location would determine a flex (rotation)? I was always taught, as lead, to flex when the ball settles on the opposite side of the lane. Rule of thumb, if you are looking across the lane, get your butt across it. What else would trigger a flex? I'm not disputing, just asking for my information.
In NCAAW if there is a midcourt trap on the C side of the floor many crews then rotate to better cover the play. This is the only time (that I can think of) that the L does not initiate a rotation.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. I don't see the situations described at the high school level very often so I was having trouble envisioning situations where you would flex even though the ball is on your side.