The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 03:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

Our local rec league has it's season kick-off Jamboree this coming Saturday. I am not doing scheduling anymore, so I turned in an availability form saying I would prefer morning games. I just received the schedule and I was assigned five 7th and 8th grade girls games. Although the "games" that day are only twenty minutes long and are running clock, that's still a lot of court time with 7th and 8th grade girls. I think the guy who took over the scheduling is still mad at me for making him work a lot last year with "ABC" (Juulie knows who that is).

Not only that, we don't get paid for that day. It's used as "training" and we are rewarded with a pizza party at the end of the season.

I guess it could have been worse. We start at 3rd grade.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Our local rec league has it's season kick-off Jamboree this coming Saturday. I am not doing scheduling anymore, so I turned in an availability form saying I would prefer morning games. I just received the schedule and I was assigned five 7th and 8th grade girls games. Although the "games" that day are only twenty minutes long and are running clock, that's still a lot of court time with 7th and 8th grade girls. I think the guy who took over the scheduling is still mad at me for making him work a lot last year with "ABC" (Juulie knows who that is).

Not only that, we don't get paid for that day. It's used as "training" and we are rewarded with a pizza party at the end of the season.

In the western Mass area and even at some camps I've been to it's good to work with ABC - anybody but Chuck.

Anyways...enjoy the pizza.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mark,
Yeah 3rd grade coulda seemed a little too long.

So, since this is used for training, are you assigned to be working with some young officials? You oughta enjoy that all right.
mick
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

What did you do?

Quote:
...I turned in an availability form ...
Thanks for fulfilling your/our civic duty. I'm sure some of the alternative referees could have been worse.

Smile ... a bunch.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Last year the guy that assigns my local rec league called and asked me if I would work some games with the new kids, help them out, said he would owe me later. And did he ever. Three 4th grade boys basketball games... that's even less like basketball than 7th grade girls!

Sara
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
In the western Mass area. . .
Right here I knew I was in trouble.

Quote:
it's good to work with ABC - anybody but Chuck.
I was trying to think of some snappy comeback, but I was laughing too hard to come up with anything.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 06:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
So, since this is used for training, are you assigned to be working with some young officials? You oughta enjoy that all right.
mick
I'm working with three different officials. One is a third year HS student, one is a second year adult and one is a fourth year college student who is easily one of the best prospects I have ever worked with. Other guys are now working with the newbies (I did that for 13 years) and I wish them the best.

BTW - at our meetings, I am usually referred to as "the guy who knows all the rules." I don't know if that's a compliment or not.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It would appear that the scheduler assigned you to games appropriate to your skill level. Actually, he might have thought you needed to work the "harder" games so you could improve.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

BTW - at our meetings, I am usually referred to as "the guy who knows all the rules." I don't know if that's a compliment or not. [/B][/QUOTE]

COMPLIMENT? maybe, maybe not. possibly they consider you a "know it all"?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 12:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:

In the western Mass area and even at some camps I've been to it's good to work with ABC - anybody but Chuck.
That's what it means around here, also - except, of course, it's someone other than Chuck.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
...one is a fourth year college student who is easily one of the best prospects I have ever worked with.
Is this Jesse? Lucky you. I'd even come in for a while on Saturday, if I could work with him.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

That's what it means around here, also - except, of course, it's someone other than Chuck.
Yea, the Mr. C that Mark refers to would make even Chuck look good!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Could somebody check to see if there's something stuck in my back? I expect this kind of thing from Dan and JR, but. . .
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Could somebody check to see if there's something stuck in my back? I expect this kind of thing from Dan and JR, but. . .
The basketball wakes up that inner male...
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Quote:
...one is a fourth year college student who is easily one of the best prospects I have ever worked with.
Is this Jesse? Lucky you. I'd even come in for a while on Saturday, if I could work with him.
Yeah, it's Jesse. I only get to work one mini-game with him, but I get to watch him work two more during my break.

For those of you who don't know him, he's so good that refs who see him for the first time go out of their way to talk about his ability. Even though he's only about 19, he has the court presence of someone much more experienced. Maybe it's because he started when he was 15.

I've worked with him quite a few times and I'd like to take the credit, but it must go to his dad, who is also a ref.