The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What did I do to deserve this? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16682-what-did-i-do-deserve.html)

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 29, 2004 03:57pm

Our local rec league has it's season kick-off Jamboree this coming Saturday. I am not doing scheduling anymore, so I turned in an availability form saying I would prefer morning games. I just received the schedule and I was assigned five 7th and 8th grade girls games. Although the "games" that day are only twenty minutes long and are running clock, that's still a lot of court time with 7th and 8th grade girls. I think the guy who took over the scheduling is still mad at me for making him work a lot last year with "ABC" (Juulie knows who that is).

Not only that, we don't get paid for that day. It's used as "training" and we are rewarded with a pizza party at the end of the season.

I guess it could have been worse. We start at 3rd grade. :p

Dan_ref Mon Nov 29, 2004 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Our local rec league has it's season kick-off Jamboree this coming Saturday. I am not doing scheduling anymore, so I turned in an availability form saying I would prefer morning games. I just received the schedule and I was assigned five 7th and 8th grade girls games. Although the "games" that day are only twenty minutes long and are running clock, that's still a lot of court time with 7th and 8th grade girls. I think the guy who took over the scheduling is still mad at me for making him work a lot last year with "ABC" (Juulie knows who that is).

Not only that, we don't get paid for that day. It's used as "training" and we are rewarded with a pizza party at the end of the season.

In the western Mass area and even at some camps I've been to it's good to work with ABC - anybody but Chuck.

Anyways...enjoy the pizza.

mick Mon Nov 29, 2004 04:51pm

Quote:

Mark,
Yeah 3rd grade coulda seemed a little too long.

So, since this is used for training, are you assigned to be working with some young officials? You oughta enjoy that all right. :)
mick

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Nov 29, 2004 04:57pm

What did you do?

Quote:

...I turned in an availability form ... :p
Thanks for fulfilling your/our civic duty. I'm sure some of the alternative referees could have been worse.

Smile ... a bunch. :D

SF Mon Nov 29, 2004 05:02pm

Quote:

Last year the guy that assigns my local rec league called and asked me if I would work some games with the new kids, help them out, said he would owe me later. And did he ever. Three 4th grade boys basketball games... that's even less like basketball than 7th grade girls! ;)

ChuckElias Mon Nov 29, 2004 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
In the western Mass area. . .
Right here I knew I was in trouble.

Quote:

it's good to work with ABC - anybody but Chuck.
I was trying to think of some snappy comeback, but I was laughing too hard to come up with anything. :)

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 29, 2004 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
So, since this is used for training, are you assigned to be working with some young officials? You oughta enjoy that all right. :)
mick

I'm working with three different officials. One is a third year HS student, one is a second year adult and one is a fourth year college student who is easily one of the best prospects I have ever worked with. Other guys are now working with the newbies (I did that for 13 years) and I wish them the best.

BTW - at our meetings, I am usually referred to as "the guy who knows all the rules." I don't know if that's a compliment or not.

dblref Tue Nov 30, 2004 06:32am

Quote:

It would appear that the scheduler assigned you to games appropriate to your skill level. Actually, he might have thought you needed to work the "harder" games so you could improve.:D:D

ChrisSportsFan Tue Nov 30, 2004 08:19am

BTW - at our meetings, I am usually referred to as "the guy who knows all the rules." I don't know if that's a compliment or not. [/B][/QUOTE]

COMPLIMENT? maybe, maybe not. possibly they consider you a "know it all"?

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:41pm

Quote:

In the western Mass area and even at some camps I've been to it's good to work with ABC - anybody but Chuck.

That's what it means around here, also - except, of course, it's someone other than Chuck.

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:36am

Quote:

...one is a fourth year college student who is easily one of the best prospects I have ever worked with.
Is this Jesse? Lucky you. I'd even come in for a while on Saturday, if I could work with him.

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:38am

Quote:

Quote:

That's what it means around here, also - except, of course, it's someone other than Chuck.

Yea, the Mr. C that Mark refers to would make even Chuck look good!

ChuckElias Wed Dec 01, 2004 08:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Could somebody check to see if there's something stuck in my back? I expect this kind of thing from Dan and JR, but. . .

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Could somebody check to see if there's something stuck in my back? I expect this kind of thing from Dan and JR, but. . .

The basketball wakes up that inner male...

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:25pm

Quote:

Quote:

...one is a fourth year college student who is easily one of the best prospects I have ever worked with.
Is this Jesse? Lucky you. I'd even come in for a while on Saturday, if I could work with him.

Yeah, it's Jesse. I only get to work one mini-game with him, but I get to watch him work two more during my break.

For those of you who don't know him, he's so good that refs who see him for the first time go out of their way to talk about his ability. Even though he's only about 19, he has the court presence of someone much more experienced. Maybe it's because he started when he was 15.

I've worked with him quite a few times and I'd like to take the credit, but it must go to his dad, who is also a ref.