The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 12:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

I have never seen it called. But tonight I had a varsity tournament game and the visiting team had a player that got called for a 10 second violation on the FT.

Now the kid for some reason after getting the ball would look completely away from the basket (as if he was upset at something) and slowly bounced the ball while facing the basket. Then he looked like he was going to shoot the ball, and then went back to bouncing the ball. I was the Trail in a 3 person crew and I was hearing a couple of rumblings with the opposing coach. "That is about 12 seconds, you should have a violation." Then I heard some other people in the stands saying just about the same thing. Then my partner called it. I could not believe it. I do not blame him or suggest that he should not have. The kid was just wasting time and took up way too much time. We talked about it afterwards and we were just laughing about it. The same kid did the exact same thing on another FT and I was under the impression that him facing away from the basket the first time, he was responding to a player that was in the vicinity of the circle. But this kid did this with the game on the line and a very close margin (I believe 2 points at the time). The game ended up to be a one point game. I just had never actually seen that before in person.

I just thought I would share.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

I've seen a couple of HS kids that have some pretty long, elaborate routines, but looking away is a new one. I would have had a hard time not laughing right there.

Just curious what the consensus was with your crew when you talked about it after the game. Was the consensus that a warning would have been better (you said he did it another time, was that prior?)? Did he shoot another FT after the violation? Did he shoot quicker the next time?

Z
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

He did not waste as much time the next FT (violation on the first of two). We seemed to all agree with the call. The coach did not say a word. It was so obvious it was funny. I used to think there was not a situation to ever call it, until I saw that. I know my partner gave him more time to shoot. The kid just took way too long.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

JRut,
I don't watch a lot of NBA but,
remember Karl Malone taking his time shooting FT's?

I don't remember if the officials actually ever got him...but the crowd would count out loud every time he went to the line to shoot.
It seems to me they got to about 13 or 14 before he would shoot it.

Richland, WA
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Other VERY rare situations....

As I read the thread title, I thought... Hmmm, I bet that is a 10-second count on a
FT. Sure enough, it was. I have seen it called once.

In the same vein, has anyone called (or observed a partner call) the other in the
book but rarely called violations or fouls. One example, a T for flopping.

Another thought... Does NBA have a 10-second FT rule?
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 11:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds like the call is about as rare as a one-point safety in football.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
It would have to happen in that football-crazy Lone Star State.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Okay, you brought it up so if this thread veers off topic, it's not my fault! So please explain the one-point safety.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

I know an official who has called both a true multiple foul and the false double foul described in 4.19.8 Sit A (only it was a try, not a tap). What is more bizarre is that I saw him make both calls in person! I was watching the multiple foul from the front row of the stands and was his partner for the second call.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
He did not waste as much time the next FT (violation on the first of two). We seemed to all agree with the call. The coach did not say a word. It was so obvious it was funny. I used to think there was not a situation to ever call it, until I saw that. I know my partner gave him more time to shoot. The kid just took way too long.

Peace
JR If he got it off in time the second time, then the first one in which a violation was called was worth it. In the case of a throw in when the team with the ball is not ready, placing the ball on the floor usually causes them to be ready the next time.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Okay, you brought it up so if this thread veers off topic, it's not my fault! So please explain the one-point safety.
Juulie,
If during a try for the extra point after a touchdown, what would usually be a safety is only scored as 1 pt, in this one situation only...and it is very rare...there is a discussion about it on the football board right now though..
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have actually called this in a V-girls game, but I waited ontil I got to a count of about 15 before it was obvious the the throw wasn't going to happen in the next couple of seconds either.

Ironically this was the same game I called a T for two girls on the same team holding hands to prevent a defensive player from getting to a rebound.

I had not called either of these calls before or since.

Later I felt the need to apologize to my partner for putting s**t into the game.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Juulie,
If during a try for the extra point after a touchdown, what would usually be a safety is only scored as 1 pt, in this one situation only...and it is very rare...there is a discussion about it on the football board right now though..
Because it recently HAPPENNED in the University of Texas vs. Texas A&M game
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
I have actually called this in a V-girls game, but I waited ontil I got to a count of about 15 before it was obvious the the throw wasn't going to happen in the next couple of seconds either.

Ironically this was the same game I called a T for two girls on the same team holding hands to prevent a defensive player from getting to a rebound.

Later I felt the need to apologize to my partner for putting s**t into the game.
IF I was your partner, there would not be a need to apologize on either call. You would have had my full support in both calls.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Good Calls

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo

I don't see a reason to apologize for either call. You saw it, you called it. Good job.