Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Sounds like the call is about as rare as a one-point safety in football.
Okay, you brought it up so if this thread veers off topic, it's not my fault! So please explain the one-point safety.
Its complicated but I will try to explain it.

Okay Team A just scores a tocuhdown and is now lining up for the extra point aka PAT.

Team A kicks the ball but it is blocked, Team B trys to pick the ball up but it goes into the endzone, team B then jumps on the ball. You now give one point to A.

How we determine that is that if the ball becomes dead in your own endzone only two things can occur, saftey or a touchback. How we determine which one it is is by who forced the ball into the endzone.

In the above example, team B forced the ball into their own endzone and landed on it, saftey. Since it was on an extrapoint it is worth one point. Had team A forced it into the endzone and B jumped on it the extra point would be no good.

Hope that makes sense.

[Edited by Snake~eyes on Nov 28th, 2004 at 08:14 PM]
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Yes it does. Thanks!

My two sense!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 10:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Snake-eyes,
Thanks. That confirms my suspicions (in spite of the announcers' obviously ill-informed analysis at the time) that the call was that the ball had touched a defensive player prior to entering the end zone. So, my next question is this, if the offense had landed on the ball instead of the defense, would it have been a two-point conversion?
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Snake-eyes,
Thanks. That confirms my suspicions (in spite of the announcers' obviously ill-informed analysis at the time) that the call was that the ball had touched a defensive player prior to entering the end zone. So, my next question is this, if the offense had landed on the ball instead of the defense, would it have been a two-point conversion?
As usual, the announcers don't know jack.

Anytime A legally gets posession of a live ball in B's endzone its a touchdown(or in this case two points).
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I have seen this happen a few times and have called it a few times just last season. Perhaps it was a POE for our local associations or something, I cannot recall.

The 10-sec FT rule is clearly stated and it is a mechanic we are supposed to be practicing on every FT. Granted, most players do not take the full 10-sec but as an official you should be counting and calling the violation if/when it occurs.

When I hear guys say "...after about 12 seconds the coach and/or the fans started grumbling" I begin to wonder what other rules do they arbitrarily (sp) enforce? You wouldn't let your inbound count reach 7 seconds or your backcourt count reach 12 seconds or three seconds run to 6 seconds, would you?

You would not need to apologize to me if I'm on your crew thinking your bringing s**t into the game but you better be prepared to explain to me why you passed on it (especially when SO obvious as in this sitch) and come clean with any other rules you choose not to enforce.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

To the announcers' credit, they did give a full explanation at the end of the game. Being an Aggie, it didn't make me feel any better.

The game had a couple of unusual plays. Unfortunately for A&M fans, the outcome wasn't unusual.

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 11:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
To the announcers' credit, they did give a full explanation at the end of the game. Being an Aggie, it didn't make me feel any better.

The game had a couple of unusual plays. Unfortunately for A&M fans, the outcome wasn't unusual.
Figures, I was at Scheel's trying to get a pair of Reebok's patent leather shoes, "The Ref." Unfortunately, they were out of my size.

Anyone know where I can find them on line?